Remember LAST years O-Line?

Largent80

Reaction score
At this point last year the O-Line was on record sacks allowed pace.

The previous 3 games before Sunday were against bottom 10 defenses and Sunday this O-Line was exposed and we lost the starting LT.

Do you think this current version will end up being better than last years or what?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
This is like arguing over which pile of shit stinks the least.

I do feel more cautiously optimistic about this year's line though, as it feels like Britt and Glowinski have found their spots and Ifedi is progressing.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't think I meant it that way. But more of, will this line progress forward.

It's obvious the middle of the line is better.

I absolutely KNEW this line would struggle. It HAD to.

Hawks46

Reaction score
For how young and inexperience our OL is, this is a great start. They're pass protecting better than any line we've had since 2013 already. And our OL typically takes off in the 2nd half of the season.

Sure, I'd like to see them run block better, but this line is miles ahead of where the OL was at this point last year. I can see a similar offensive performance if they can start run blocking well.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Ha ha cannot be any worse than last year.The fact RW cannot run hurts this year because I think the line is better all around but I think they will get stronger as the season rolls

HawkGA

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":4hlo1msv said:

I do feel more cautiously optimistic about this year's line though, as it feels like Britt and Glowinski have found their spots and Ifedi is progressing.

It defintely doesn't seem like the up the middle pressure is bad this year. The ends are just getting killed though.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Largent80":3po4ioql said:
I don't think I meant it that way. But more of, will this line progress forward.

It's obvious the middle of the line is better.

I absolutely KNEW this line would struggle. It HAD to.

I think the middle will progress, but unfortunately I don't share the same positivity about the tackles. Gilliam has played in 36 NFL games and started 23 of those. Have we seen improvement? Nothing that inspires confidence. He's a TE convert so I was looking for solid lateral quickness out of him. Haven't seen it.

The LT spot is just a mess. I hope Fant can develop, but asking an UDFA rookie with nothing more than a few snaps as a TE at Western Kentucky to step up and start at one of the most difficult positions on the field, and for a Super Bowl contender no less, is unreasonable. And what does it say about Odhiambo that Fant beat him out? Is our future LT on the roster? Good luck George!

mrt144

Reaction score
Largent80":311xwufy said:
At this point last year the O-Line was on record sacks allowed pace.

The previous 3 games before Sunday were against bottom 10 defenses and Sunday this O-Line was exposed and we lost the starting LT.

Do you think this current version will end up being better than last years or what?

It depends on run blocking at this point. We are mighty low on DVOA ranks when it comes to our rushing.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
We are averaging 3.1 Yards per carry in the run offense which is 31st, and that includes 3 games against bottom 10 defenses. It really spells it out.

Overall, the Seahawks are averaging 1.80 yards before contact, which ranks 30th.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Neither of the OTs is playing well a fact which is quite obvious.

If RW had two good legs instead of one with high ankle sprain and the other with a MCL sprain and was more mobile the Oline would look better than it does, but they have cut the sacks in less less than 1/2 relative to this time last season and the mid-OLine isn't looking that terrible.

kf3339

Reaction score
The real problem for me last year was the middle of the line. RW seemed to handle the outside rushers quite well. But the pressure up the middle was just pathetic.

This year the middle has actually been effective to date. But our tackles have gotten worse in my opinion. It also doesn't help that RW can't escape the outside pressure in the same manner.

Last, the line play for rushing is mediocre at this point. You have to place much of this on our RB and RW injuries. So really I think injuries is what makes a proper evaluation suspect.

But overall, I say that it seems a little better than last year at this point. We will know better in a few games when Rawls gets healthy and RW has a few more weeks to heal some more.

I will say though that I have seen nothing from a scheme standpoint that is being employed to help the situation out at all.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":oa3jcsr2 said:

this^ sums it up...Only thing with last year is RW didn't have two gimped legs.