Not committed to Run

nwHawk

Reaction score
One concern I'm starting to feel is that the lack of commitment to the run game might be based on our lack of depth. Fullback issues, o-line issues, Rawls is hurt and there is really nothing past Michaels.

Maybe the problem is deeper than what we are hearing. This concerns me when I look to the playoffs. Need to get this figured out, and quick.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I don't know , we don't even try.
Our first 5 plays are some sort of pass.

Rob12

Reaction score
We don't have good backs. Michael is serviceable. Alex Collins was our second string guy last week. Our QB is not a threat to run right now and that changes just about everything. Our line has not come together yet.

It's really quite easy to see why the run game can't get in a rhythm. I'm not surprised one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Rob12":3h2qg67w said:
We don't have good backs. Michael is serviceable. Alex Collins was our second string guy last week. Our QB is not a threat to run right now and that changes just about everything. Our line has not come together yet.

It's really quite easy to see why the run game can't get in a rhythm. I'm not surprised one bit.

Yeah, but have we even really tried?
I don't ever recall us this year giving a concerted effort.
We seem to start the drive with a bubble screen that gets nothing and all of a sudden we have to pass to get a first down.

I think we need to give some confidence to CMike and lets see what he can do.

That said, I'm not sure now how much confidence I have in him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Rob12":1a0ljibi said:

Think about it a bit....Russell Wilson is the one that makes everything jive....Play Calls have to be jacked around to fit the capabilities of whatever RW can execute, and plays get limited to how well the O-Line can give Pass Protection, because right now, Wilson isn't much of a threat to scramble, so all Defenses have to do is contain a gimped up RW, and focus on our anemic Run Game....The health of our Receivers & Tight Ends is also hampering our ability to fool any Defenses right now.....The Defense getting us a tie while being out on the field for nearly 45 minuets is astonishing.

Rob12

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2d8m7s1o said:
Rob12":2d8m7s1o said:

We seem to start the drive with a bubble screen that gets nothing and all of a sudden we have to pass to get a first down.

What's there to try? I love running the football but when Christine Michael and Alex Collins are your top backs behind a horrid offensive line, there's just not much to try.

Michael is a back up caliber running back. He's come a long way. I like him. But if he's our No. 1 behind this line and a gimpy RW, the offense will continue to struggle.

hawker84

Reaction score
This is no longer a power run team, as some have said, we don't have that back in the backfield anymore, and we don't have the horses up front. RW is the best player on the field, this offense needs to evolve and let him do what he does. I just wish Bevell would mix it up more. And what ever happened to the half back screen?

Seahawk

Reaction score
CMike is doing only OK right now, but I fear that when Rawls returns, the OLine will still be unable to run block. Maybe then CMike will look like a genius and we can start a Fire Cable thread.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2le1rjb9 said:
Rob12":2le1rjb9 said:

You're comparing our past success with a healthy Russell and a HOF RB in Lynch to a hobbled Russell, C-Mike and arguably the worst offensive line in this team's history?

If Rawls can come back and run like he did at the end of last year, and Cable can get this line to at least be serviceable? Then you'll see improvement.

But without Russell being 100% good fronts will continue to stack the box, pin their ears back and come after Russell and our run game forcing us to be one dimensional.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You must have forgotten the Atlanta game, the one we had a drive going and then stalled it with 3 straight runs for next to nothing.

We cannot run the ball because we do not get decent yardage when we do and because you need those downs to make up for the dropped passes etc.

The larger issue is that we are not adjusting our attack to the weaknesses/strengths of the opponent.

We shouldn't have run much at all vs Atlanta because they are decent vs the run but their pass defense is suspect to missing. We could pass all day on them.

Almost the opposite vs the Cards, we should have been running more because the pass game was barely working at all.

But again, we gave up something with by 'improving' the line to make it better for pass protection. Run blocking and pass protection are totally different skill sets. Pass protection is much harder and from all the OL I have known, more exhausting.

I do not think we are near as effective a run blocking team as we were even last year. But, they did change some of the rules on blocking, so maybe the emphasis on removing certain blocks required us to change up and we are just not as able to punch the holes we did in the past? Would be good to hear from someone that played OL on this issue.

But more importantly, we really have a below average RB group. Michael is average, inconsistently better than average and worse - but while not terrible not really a big threat to consistently wear you down OR hit long runs. So if the opposing defense gambles, the worst they pay for it is maybe a 20 yd run. Collins might get you 2 or 3, maybe. Procise will probably get injured stumbling over a blade of grass on his way to the huddle. So where is this run production supposed to come from?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
CMike and David Johnson averaged roughly the same ypa in the game at Arizona. And that's against the #13th team against the run.

I would agree that we're not popping big runs, but we're getting 3-4 yards per attempt.

It also doesn't help that we're not converting on 3rd down.

Latest posts