CJ Spiller released, WIll Tukuafu re-signed

Rat

Reaction score
The team probably did it as a favor to Spiller, but I still would have kept him around. Prosise hasn't proven to be reliable yet.

RussB

Reaction score
What ? why though? Spiller was pretty good aside from a couple of drops. I havent seen procise do anything significant at all.

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
We weren't doing jack with the power run game with Will in there. But with Willson being out who occasionally played FB, and our blocking struggles I guess I can kind of see why

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Shoot, I thought Spiller would be amped for the Aints.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
A rather puzzling move. Pete is obviously just enamored with Prosise and Collins. I don't get it.

And evidently we're going to try more I formations and ground and pound against New Orleans.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Prosice and Spiller were redundant. The problem I have is that Spiller is good at returns and I was hopeing they would put him there and quit beating the hell out of a hobbled and ineffective Lockett.

I like the Tukuafu move though. I can see us cutting him when Willson is healthy and picking Spiller back up. Procise hasn't shown he can even stay on the field, much less make an impact.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is stupid unless Spiller is too injured to play.

Pope V2 mistake all over again. Now we are back to a glaring hole in the ST return part of the game.

Why do we keep releasing guys that could be effective ST return people at a time we NEED or should project the need for ST returners, only to 2 keep two guys that make me long wistfully for the days of Turbin?

Did we verify this was because of a broken hand? Or is Spiller being released for another reason?

Spiller was one of the few bright spots in the RB rotation, so this is really disappointing.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Could be a sign that they plan on putting Tukuafu in to help protect Wilson's blind side. They may also run the ball more this week, given that the Saints aren't exactly great at stopping the run.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
kidhawk":2lt9ywx4 said:
Could be a sign that they plan on putting Tukuafu in to help protect Wilson's blind side. They may also run the ball more this week, given that the Saints aren't exactly great at stopping the run.
Yes, sounds like a helpout for Fant.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I guess this shows that people will complain about anything, including their RBs getting healthier to the point where the team no longer needs to keep a fourth RB. Maybe you guys will get lucky and Rawls or Procise will have a setback so we can resign Spiller.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3cqai3d6 said:

Pope V2 mistake all over again. Now we are back to a glaring hole in the ST return part of the game.

Why do we keep releasing guys that could be effective ST return people at a time we NEED or should project the need for ST returners, only to 2 keep two guys that make me long wistfully for the days of Turbin?

Did we verify this was because of a broken hand? Or is Spiller being released for another reason?

Spiller was one of the few bright spots in the RB rotation, so this is really disappointing.

Spiller had three rushes for 9 yards, five receptions for 43 yards (half of which came on one reception) with a fumble and a drop, and he's 29 years old.

Pope has one rush for one yard for the Jets.

Regardless of whether Prosise or Collins will turn into anything, you've got a warped perception of value.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jeremy517":3k7wra96 said:
TwistedHusky":3k7wra96 said:

Spiller had three rushes for 9 yards, five receptions for 43 yards (half of which came on one reception) with a fumble and a drop, and he's 29 years old.

Pope has one rush for one yard for the Jets.

Regardless of whether Prosise or Collins will turn into anything, you've got a warped perception of value.

Finally! Someone speaks common sense! Why do people have this elevated perception of Spiller? He's tentative because he's afraid of getting hurt.

There is a reason he can't stay on a team.

He was injury prone at Clemson, nothing has changed! Well, except he's older and more injury prone now.

Rat

Reaction score
ivotuk":3t2cl6rg said:
Finally! Someone speaks common sense! Why do people have this elevated perception of Spiller? He's tentative because he's afraid of getting hurt.

There is a reason he can't stay on a team.

He was injury prone at Clemson, nothing has changed! Well, except he's older and more injury prone now.

Probably because he's very fast and we barely got to see what the offense could do with a new toy. Early in his career, he made Marshawn Lynch expendable. Anyone who can do that has talent.

I would have rather seen if Prosise can stay healthy a little longer before cutting Spiller, but there are only so many spots on the roster. It probably wasn't an easy decision.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":102tc4bh said:
I guess this shows that people will complain about anything, including their RBs getting healthier to the point where the team no longer needs to keep a fourth RB. Maybe you guys will get lucky and Rawls or Procise will have a setback so we can resign Spiller.

I think it's just more of a concern that Prosise is unproven and has been less than stellar whereas we know what we're getting with Spiller. Plus with the added value Spiller could provide in returning kicks at a time when we could use some help, it's just worth questioning and discussing.

Even though Spiller and Prosise are "similar" RBs in terms of role, I would've preferred they dump Collins.