Pete: Russ Will Play Sunday, Kam Likely Won't

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Let me be clear here. Even if we go in there and Russ puts on a similar performance like he did against the Jets, I still think he needs to sit, aka Big Ben. These injuries are going to linger (and others will enter the equation ala Pectoral) all damn season long unless we let him sit.

I know Russ would fight sitting with everything he has...Not only because he is competitive and wants to help the team win but I know how much consecutive starts means to him. Still, I would absolutely sit him...I heard someone comment to let him sit for the AFC matchups in the next two weeks. I know it would never happen but that's not a bad idea.

Let Boykin run around, read option and hand off to his heart's content while Russell gets a chance to truly recover.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/206002/pe ... -doubtful/

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I dont totally disagree with what you are saying but Pete and co. touts "every game is a championship game". In order to foster that sitting him out would undermine that. Plus I am sure even if Russ was para;yzed he would want to go in. IMHO I would bet he is giving them a light pain assessment to remain active.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":384t3cgf said:
I dont totally disagree with what you are saying but Pete and co. touts "every game is a championship game". In order to foster that sitting him out would undermine that. Plus I am sure even if Russ was para;yzed he would want to go in. IMHO I would bet he is giving them a light pain assessment to remain active.

It's a decision that Pete needs to make, not RW.
Lots of good reason to sit him, and not many reasonable arguments on letting him 'tough It Out'.
#1 injury helped to create injury #2, and now?, #1 & #2 are the reason for injury #3..What's next?, a Season, or worse yet CAREER ending injury?
I love me some Russell Wilson, but Pete needs to take the bull by the horns on this one.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
we're trying to win football games.

You don't win football games playing scared.

This is the team we have. a bad oline and a banged up QB. You still put the best team out there.

Maybe the coaches should hire a fan to go in and tell players that we're too scared to see them on the field and that we are afraid they might get hurt so they should sit on the bench and not contribute to trying to get a victory.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The question should be based on two things. First, on the odds that RW continuing to play exacerbates his injuries. Second, if that answer is basically No then based on, if given his current injuries and resulting inabilities, a different QB provides the better chance of winning.

I realize RW is Mr Positive but after listening to him and observing his body language in the presser he gave yesterday I tend to think the answer is No to both. He should be sharp enough in passing; and in calling the protections and run-blocking; and both pec and knee-wise may not have to stress either very much. They might as well play him, with Boykin remaining the emergency or garbage-time backup.

The number of games of sitting him that it would take to get him all the way healthy would be essentially giving up on the season. We aren't quite there.. (fingers crossed) yet.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
1 loss is a lot less than 5 losses later.

I do not agree that you put your injured guy out there to 'tough it out' when doing so means there is no way he is healthy in time for the playoffs and when doing so has already led to more injuries.

We should have just kept TJack honestly. Sioux was right on that one.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
People keep complaining about how this offense sucks and then want to throw an UDFA in there over an all pro quarterback. This place is a glutton for punishment.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Trrrroy":1bxy6e80 said:
People keep complaining about how this offense sucks and then want to throw an UDFA in there over an all pro quarterback. This place is a glutton for punishment.
Absent the barfight BS before his Bowl game, it's possible that Boykin would have been drafted as high as Dak P. The difference at this point in the season is that unlike Dak, Trevone is still very raw and a huge drop off from even a limited RW.

Largent80

Reaction score
Russel may never heal this season. If he can play it would be wise to let him. We just tied. Not a loss but not a win either. We NEED to keep winning and we have some tough games ahead. Philly is playing well, so is New England, Buffalo had a hiccup but is a good team.

LolaRox

Reaction score
If they had their playoff seed locked up and were about to play some 'meaningless' games then I would agree, but that is not the case. If they want to make the playoffs they have to field the best team possible to win games and I haven't seen any evidence that Boykin would be better than Russ at this point.

If the medical staff says that he is okay to play and not in danger of exacerbating his current injuries, then he should play.

I also don't get the comparisons to Big Ben, didn't he need surgery? That is why he is sitting.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Largent80":3e6igi2c said:
Russel may never heal this season. If he can play it would be wise to let him. We just tied. Not a loss but not a win either. We NEED to keep winning and we have some tough games ahead. Philly is playing well, so is New England, Buffalo had a hiccup but is a good team.
If the Hawks can keep up with the Saints this week then it will suggest that playing RW instead of sitting him is a good call. Their D shouldn't be too punishing of a test but it may take a lot of points, and accurate passes, to do that 'keeping up.' The D gave up huge yardage against the Cards, they may not have as much success points-wise against Drew.

I think Tuke will be in on a lot of plays, not just for physicality in the run game but also to help Fant on the left in pass pro while RW hopefully darts accurate balls to Graham, Baldwin and Kearse.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't think the injuries are related at all.RW holds ball too long at times,the OL is pushing the DL out of way and has him off balance yet the DL made a freak play at angle that many cannot.It happens people!What games are some of you watching?There are no QBs out there not taking hits period.To some who say just take the easy way and sit RW while we just lose games because our backup is that bad.You are the same people I will see complaining how it is DB fault and how we need to spend more on OL.You know what just forget it there is no reasoning with you because there will always be one thing after another that you will complain about.I sometimes feel like the PWR was nothing compared to some of the whiners and moaners I see and to be clear it is not most of you.Just enjoy the game please..GO HAWKS!!!

NINEster

Reaction score
Kam might be more important than Wilson in this game.

Saints offense in that dome is a machine.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Hawknballs said:
Maybe the coaches should hire a fan to go in and tell players that we're too scared to see them on the field and that we are afraid they might get hurt so they should sit on the bench and not contribute to trying to get a victory.[/quote

Great speech.... thing is ... every other player on our squad sits if they are the slightest bit hampered.