Earl getting flagged after TD?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
What gives. How is this unsportsmanlike? Weak sauce IMHO. Just another thing the refs did wrong (among many things). The quality of officiating is so bad. Why is it not being addressed???

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
He went to the ground in celebration and hugged a ref. Per the rules, not appropriate. I thought it was funny/entertaining.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":n7kdc7km said:
He went to the ground in celebration and hugged a ref. Per the rules, not appropriate. I thought it was funny/entertaining.

Maybe not appropriate but unsportsmanlike??? Maybe say something to hima nd or coach but hitting us for 15. I guess ref was pissed we scored and made his job harder to sway the game......

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
gzsqc20scu4zle2jhxa3.gif

It's because Earl trled to hump him at the end.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
One of the few, legit calls against Seattle. Humping a ref is illegal I believe.
8)

drewba

Reaction score
It was a legit call in my opinion. That was pretty inappropriate.

Hawkintent

Reaction score
I like how the ref looks to be hugging him back though. No love from refs after that play though.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He was lucky that he did not get kicked out.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
drewba":bg05dzwu said:
It was a legit call in my opinion. That was pretty inappropriate.
From an Aints fan perspective.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

sdog1981

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3bxwicf8 said:
sdog1981":3bxwicf8 said:
He was lucky that he did not get kicked out.
Oh hush now!

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Contact with an official is an ejectable offense. Would it be the right call? Hell no. Could a power hungry official make that kind of call? Hell yes.

mikeak

Reaction score
ZERO contact with the officials is allowed yet it looked like he could have gotten away with a half spin from the Refs face.

It was a legit call - he needs to know better. Next time dance around the official

253hawk

Reaction score
Wait, so ass-slaps (legit sexual harassment) are okay but a hug is a penalty? NFL consistency at its finest. :roll:

None of these were penalties:
[youtube]AGUohhAb1SI[/youtube]

[youtube]VJmndGET1io[/youtube]

[youtube]cFZ1HRHm7NA[/youtube]

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Definitely not the smartest idea and it was illegal. But funny and awesome? HELL YES!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":36nxl6j9 said:
Coug_Hawk08":36nxl6j9 said:

Maybe not appropriate but unsportsmanlike??? Maybe say something to hima nd or coach but hitting us for 15. I guess ref was pissed we scored and made his job harder to sway the game......

The rule is pretty damn clear "can't touch the refs."

Awesome play, stupid decision by Earl. Not much gray area.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Aros":3593ugm6 said:
Definitely not the smartest idea and it was illegal. But funny and awesome? HELL YES!

This.

It will be laughed about for years to come. I wasn't even mad.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hy346pi said:
Year of The Hawk":2hy346pi said:
Coug_Hawk08":2hy346pi said:

The rule is pretty damn clear "can't touch the refs."

TBF there's a little bit of gray in there, as IIRC the rule specifies the types of contact (it's like pushing, striking, etc., etc.) of which "hugging" definitely isn't one. :lol:

Still though, at the time I was kinda surprised he didn't get ejected. I had forgotten about earlier times that folks had made celebratory contact with the ref (only natural that if those went unpenalized someone was gonna push it farther) and in that context I'm glad he didn't get ejected.

That said, if the NFL decided to make it an ejectable offense to contact (or involve) officials in celebration routines it would be one of the few times I'd be on board with the No Fun League.

It was definitely funny and I definitely enjoyed watching it, but it's a line not to cross IMO (much more objectionable to the integrity of the game than all the other celbrations they legislate, and by an order of magnitude difference too, IMO).