Why I Am Still Content With The Hawks

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Rough day. I blew a fuse, getting mad at someone who thought they were doing their job. I apologize for being a D bag in your PM today. You know who you are. Whether you were right or wrong in your approach should have no barring in my response and please accept this as a public apology.

Now that that is out of the way, I wish to speak openly and honestly about my feelings concerning these 4-2-1 Seattle Seahawks.

Russell Wilson should be benched. Sound harsh right? I don't think so at all. Any one of you watching the game assuming you have two eyeballs that function normally can see that he is nowhere near 100 percent. Yet here we are, game after game, toiling around with his health...Just because Russ says he's good to go doesn't mean he is good to go. OF COURSE he wants to play! It's one of the primary attributes that makes him who he is but at some point Pete Carroll needs to stop the Player's Coach mentality and just say, "Russ...You will be worth more to us in late December/January if we let you sit now and heal."

I realize that isn't going to happen but it should happen.

Our defense is still top 2 if not better, regardless of yards given up. By no means are they perfect...Too many yards and drives given up but at some point it becomes obvious even to the casual observer that any defense is only as good as their offense that can sustain drives. Our offense has been one of the worst in the league when it comes to TOP.

Let me end this with rainbows and lollipops.

We are 4-2-1. In clear control of our division thanks to a Cardinals team that is clearly not who they were last year, and certainly the Rams who are one of the best teams in the league when it comes to losing records. And the 49ers? LOL!

Despite my valid concerns that Russ will never heal 100 percent this season because he won't be benched, despite my reservations about the State Of Our Offensive Line, despite my fears about our injury situation, and the REFS (oy vay!) I still think this team is on the trajectory of greatness.

This team is simply too good, too talented, too UNIFIED to not reach that highest honor, regardless of the clear and present obstacles before them this season.

GO HAWKS!

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
I agree, they should bench him till he heals. I saw a stat today that said Wilson hasn't thrown a td pass since October 2nd. I didn't confirm, but if so...damn.

I don't think this year's team has the it factor. I think our play calling and o line is holding us back and I'm not sure we are good enough to overcome our deficiencies.

Can someone tell me why they don't use graham in the red zone more? If your gonna force a pass in the redzone why not him? I hate the fade.

My 2 cents

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Valid questions my friend. It's easy to go to my default setting of FIRE BEVELL but I don't think it's that simple. I think Russ ultimately is making that call...Not sure it was an audible but on that play I believe Russ thought he was making the right read. Unfortunately he decided to overthrow, not underthrow, as he was so clearly focused on not getting a pick there.

Easy to Monday Morning QB here but he should never have thrown the ball that deep into the corner with almost NO shot to win the game.

I agree, lob it up to Graham and see what happens. Most often, it's the result we seek.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well, as pointed out, the math said we would lose.

Admittedly the math got help from some suspect ref calls, but what is not suspect is the shape of our offense.

I looked at the #s today and I could be wrong, but I believe we have 6 total passing TDs for the year. To put that in perspective SF has more.

And considering the line we are fielding I do not believe there is an OC out there that could do well with the pieces we have. But I do believe we could do better. And while there is a drumbeat that it could not be Bevell it might be Pete, Bevell used to squander offensive resources way back in his days in Minnesota - this is not new.

Whereas Pete does not have a history of this, but he DOES have a history of steadfastly clinging to overrated or underperforming coordinators because of misplaced loyalty. Take what you will from that.

What cannot be denied is that being next to last in passing TDs and something like 30th in total run offense is bad combination if you expect to go to the playoffs and produce wins in the playoffs. Enough for me to worry more about breaking Wilson for next year than to care about this year.

But that said, if we want to do ANYTHING in the playoffs this year, we have to have a healthy Wilson. And the misplaced unwillingness to save our QB from himself is not winning us games but it is hurting us for future games. Keeping him out of that Rams game should have been priority 1, we should have rested him until the Bye.

Now we are likely going to have to bench him for a few games (if he heals in time) and hope to God that there is enough of the season left by then to even have a shot to do damage in the playoffs as a dark horse.

Ultimately I think you have to look to Buffalo who came close to saving their season by firing their OC, but you if cannot, at least you have to heal up our QB.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1trokwye said:
Now we are likely going to have to bench him for a few games (if he heals in time) and hope to God that there is enough of the season left by then to even have a shot to do damage in the playoffs as a dark horse.

No way in hell will Pete bench Russ. You know that as much as I do.

It's too damn bad because he should.

But he wont.

nash72

Reaction score
We just put up 13 points offensively on the worst defense in the league. Sorry, I dont share the content feelings about this team.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Benching Wilson would be a disaster. A rookie behind the leagues worst offensive line and no running game? It would be historically bad.

Having said that we are in a much better spot this year than last year and still look great for the division and good for the NFC. Get healthy and we will be right there in the end. I'm just as mad as anyone else about yesterday but still confident in this team, real confident.

hawker84

Reaction score
This team is looking very one sided, and it's no wonder why we're sitting at 4-2-1, and probably should be 3-3, 4-3 at best. Carroll's offense is becoming boring and extremely hard to watch. That was the worst D in the league folks, and we made them look pretty good.

I actually thought Bevell called a decent game for the most part, but the penalties. 11-2, really? 20 in the last two games? And I don't care what anybody says, they impacted this game from the get go on both sides of the ball.

Way too much talent on offense to be this stagnant, unacceptable.

Moving on.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I agree this offense has become unwatchable. I think our qb is going to end up like David Carr if this continues.

Geologic

Reaction score
Aros, you know the officiating was bad when Mike and Mike, national radio people, were saying that the refs spotted the saints 14 points.

These are people who aren't even invested in the Seahawks. I totally agree with you on sitting Russell though. If we're going to lose, I'd rather see Boykin out there being developed. This o line needs a mobile QB and sadly Russell is gimped.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
So we sit Wilson, lose the next two games.

And then bring back Wilson who still isn't 100%.

Then what?

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Takeaways.....

We are one WR away from being very much unstoppable.....it is not going to be pretty with our WR corps....

Christine Micheal is essentially a backup running back, he's serviceable, but not going to play better. Rawls is a tone setter.

The defense plays lights out and there isn't an offense outside of New England that worries me and I cannot wait to see Brady sacked at least 4 to 5 times in a couple of weeks.

Fant is a player and rewards the Front Office for finding and sticking with a longer term plan....Once Wilson gets his creativity back, Seattle goes from below average to 28-30 PPG....

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
This offense is completely toothless. Actually, it is one of the least imposing/punishing offenses I've had the displeasure of watching. It seems so fundamentally contrary to Seattle's tried and true approach: wearing the other team down with pure physicality. Where does this offense assert its will and dominate? Nowhere, because it simply isn't capable of it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
May I also add...we survived October. With only 1 loss and 1 Tie. We very easily could have 3 losses in October (Falcons game), but weathered the storm.

I say it every year because it's true: The Seahawks suck in October under Pete Carroll. I have no idea why, but look at the performance in that month since 2010. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. That is the worst month of the season. We lose to bad teams, play our worst football, and have more losses than any other month. And we just saw some bad football in October from the Seahawks yet again. I fully expect things to turn around now that the calendar page is turning.

I'm not saying the Hawks won't lose again, but the track record is proven. Better football is coming.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Bottom line, and I still can't believe people advocate this, you sit Russell Wilson, you're conceding the season.

Boykin = half a play book, worst line in ball, no running game, no mid-season gelling with WRs, weak coordinator... I could go on and on.

WHY ARE YOU FOR THAT?

The reason you can't do that is because of windows. This defense is in top form, right now. Huge window. That window begins to close at some point. I know your arguments will be that the offense makes it harder for them, we're not winning anyway, etc. I will remind you that N.O. only had one three and out, and it was to start the game. The defense needs to get off the field. As shitty as it is for them to be on the field 45 minutes a game, it's not doing the offense any favors to sit there cold. RW is our best chance to win. Period.

No single person or unit is to blame. The bottom line is, if you want to sit Wilson for any number of games, you're wasting an all time great defense and conceding a season. Gotta stick with it, otherwise.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
A HEALTHY Russell Wilson can work magic and make a lot of plays work.
Pete relies on Cable to Coach up the O-Line....Bevell relies on Wilson's athleticism and smarts to overcome all the inept mistakes that the O-Line have been making with their assignments.
Bevell HAS to take those ineptitudes and an INJURED Russell Wilson into account when designing plays...Bevell & Wilson have to confer on those designed plays that they think have the best chances of working as planned.
The lack of PASSING TD's this month is disturbing...coincidence?
Right now, it's the stellar performances of our Defense that's kept the Seahawks in contention.
I'm a gigantic Russell Wilson fan, but he has to realize that his insistence on playing through his injuries, has been shifting a lot of undue pressures on his Defensive Brothers.
An injured RW is unable to "Buy Time" for some plays to develop, maybe it's time for Boykin or someone else to give it a shot.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
First off, I disagree you are conceding the season if you sit Wilson. There's no reason to believe we couldn't win with Boykin. No, not a long term solution obviously but he seems to have the talent and athleticism to run the offense, sprinkling in read options with his mobility.

Our defense will always give us a chance to win each and every game. I think Boykin's mobility would change the dynamic and be a bit of a spark plug. More than anything I would love to let Russ rest and heal for two or three weeks. I think we would beat the Bills at home with Boykin, lose to the Patriots and probably lose to the Eagles. So that would make us 5-4-1. Not the best scenario but if I knew we would have a healthy Russ the rest of the season even at the sacrifice of two losses, I would take that in a millisecond.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Some of us longtime Hawk fans have waited our whole lives for a true franchise QB and now because he could only get them within one play of two wins some here want to bench him. The true meaning of bandwagon fans.......keep falling off you're getting heavy anyway. ALL IN OR ALL OUT

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":26xj0ey5 said:
Some of us longtime Hawk fans have waited our whole lives for a true franchise QB and now because he could only get them within one play of two wins some here want to bench him. The true meaning of bandwagon fans.......keep falling off you're getting heavy anyway. ALL IN OR ALL OUT

Not sure if you are bunching me in with that equation or not but I am NOT advocating benching Wilson for ANY other reason than to let him heal. Clearly, he's a once in a generation QB, most likely a HoFer if he continues his trajectory. I just want the man to be healthy come December...Not visibly hobbling because he doesn't have a chance to heal.