Did George Fant show enough to start at LT for the Seahawks?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I only watched him specifically a couple of times and he looked alright. I've heard at least 4 pundits say he was doing a good job so I guess we will see. Guess we don't have much choice either.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm watching a very young offensive line evolve and find its way. Germain Ifedi, after missing the first 3 weeks, continues to build playing experience and correct his technique. And, now Fant has gotten in on the action and validated the coaching staffs belief in his his aptitude to learn and develop quickly. This year could easily turn out to be a terrific acquisition year for the offensive line. I see lots of upside.

The thought of bringing in a lot of young linemen and having them compete and grow together is in full view ....... for those with the eyes to see and mind to recognize.

chris98251

Reaction score
With the infusion of youth across the board and a New Center I say new in his first year at the position we are in for a full season of growing pains, the talent may be there but cohesiveness seems so under rated by our staff and it takes time to get that. I will say with our size we should be able to open running lanes at will, but our scheme isn't about blowing defenders up it's zones and legal cut blocks. Kind of negates the size advantage except when were pass blocking, which were not big on coaching in the first place.

Makes for a conundrum.

RussB

Reaction score
Aside from early penalties i thought he looked pretty goodconsidering how low my expectations were. The guy hasnt started since high school and is already as good as if not better than bradley foul.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
George Fant is exactly what we are looking for at LT. He's very, very raw but ridiculously talented and if he can keep learning and absorbing the game, he's our Jason Peters. He has the size, the strength, the attitude, the smarts - all of it. Him playing as well as he is in his first regular season NFL action at the most crucial spot on the line is impressive as hell. I say give him the job and let him keep improving.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't know if he's talented or not. I hope he is and I think he is but it's tough to say. I know he dominated Jones in the AZ a few times which tells me there is potential for sure. I'm rooting for the guy to be a huge success story.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I didn't see anything that would lead us to nickname him The Holding Turnstile. Which is faint praise, but a distinct improvement on Bradley So-Low.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
He's obviously very athletic and Cable reportedly loves his footwork-potential for a good pass blocker. Time will tell since no other options apparently exist.

On a related note, why in the world did we draft Odhiambo in the 3rd round?? We could've likely signed him as an UDFA. Even though he was a tackle at Boise, apparently he only projects as a guard (even in a crisis mode) or else an UDFA basketball player who liked football in 8th grade beat out a 3rd rounder for a starting job.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It was his first game in years so considering that he played really good. Although I see just another Gilliam. Both guys are athletic but clearly lack technique and experience. He's not the long term answer at LT.

Fade

Reaction score
Have to wait until Buffalo when he will be matched up against one of the best edge rushers in the NFL to find out where he is at. The Saints don't count.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RobRang/status/792781639319326720[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/RobRang/status/792785220437102593[/tweet]
He gonna get better and better.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Can we keep Fant on the left, put Sowell in on the right, and bench Gilliam?

Mojambo

Reaction score
Agreed with that. Gilliam has been our worst offensive lineman. And I don't think it's been close.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Will be interested to see how he holds up this weekend. Lorenzo Alexander may miss the game, but even if he does Jerry Hughes will be a real test.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":j6fszcki said:
Can we keep Fant on the left, put Sowell in on the right, and bench Gilliam?

Sowell is worse.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Who knows but if he stinks then he will have a lot of company. He's better than Gilliam but so is everyone except maybe sowell. A lot of smart fans on here, most more than me, but I was shocked by the thought process that okung could walk because Gilliam was an answer at LT. Reminded me of the whitehurst love over Hass.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
No Gilliam love in this thread, and he'll get none from me either. I can't be the only one recognizing his regression. It appears to be exhaustion most times, he is getting beat and then just stands there instead of trying to recover. Fant showed me real potential this last game.