Sherman Agrees with Cam: The NFL Isn't Fun

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Apologies if posted, I didn't see it anywhere...

He has some very valid points.

The Seahawks’ opponents from 2014 to present have been flagged for 204 penalties, per 710 ESPN Seattle’s Danny O’Neil, which is the lowest amount of any team in the NFL. Sherman said Seattle might be the leader in another related, albeit unofficial, category.

“We probably lead the league in NFL apologies,” he said, referring to plays that are acknowledged after the fact as having should have been called differently by officials. “(The Seahawks’ front office is) real connected to the New York office nowadays, aren’t they? So I’m sure that’s fun. But it is what it is. We just go out there and play. They are going to come back and they are going to apologize the next day.”

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/209615/se ... -isnt-fun/

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's absolutely right.

The game is getting harder to watch and the replays are not getting it right either.

Baseball somehow makes their key replay decisions a lot quicker than the NFL and get it right.

The rules are skewed in favour of Offense and Defense always takes it in the shorts.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Aros":33lhghjx said:
Apologies if posted, I didn't see it anywhere...

He has some very valid points.

The Seahawks’ opponents from 2014 to present have been flagged for 204 penalties, per 710 ESPN Seattle’s Danny O’Neil, which is the lowest amount of any team in the NFL. Sherman said Seattle might be the leader in another related, albeit unofficial, category.

“We probably lead the league in NFL apologies,” he said, referring to plays that are acknowledged after the fact as having should have been called differently by officials. “(The Seahawks’ front office is) real connected to the New York office nowadays, aren’t they? So I’m sure that’s fun. But it is what it is. We just go out there and play. They are going to come back and they are going to apologize the next day.”

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/209615/se ... -isnt-fun/

The NFL apologizes. Again.

Nobody in the national media cares. Cause we were the ones shafted.

It will happen again in a few weeks. And .net tough guys will tell us all to suck it up cause real men take refs sticking us up the anus with a smile.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The thing that drives me crazy is that the only common denominator is us.

It's almost impossible to be that consistent across all the variables of different teams, different personnel, and different situations and officiating crews without theorizing some sort of bias.

I'm talking penalties being low on all other teams, not our penalties being high. I get that with just our OL holding, false starting and other things more than the average OL.

White Devil

Reaction score
Been saying this for years. Fixing the game isn't about more replays or more penalties, it's about letting these grown ass men who are the pinnacle of their sport engage each other and determine a winner. Goes for every position on the field.

It has progressively gotten worse with the acceptance of Fantasy Football and an Offense driven game. Can't have a QB get hurt because it affects income, so call ticky-tack fouls in the name of "protecting" the QB. Why do they only protect the QB, who is usually a white guy? You're right we need to protect the "defenseless" receivers too. Need more points.

The game may generate revenue with the current rules and keep "fans" happy, that really don't have a favorite team, it's all about the guys on their fantasy roster!!!

You know when the games are usually actually watchable?

During the Playoffs.

Why?

Because they let them play, usually.

There's going to be missed calls. That's the game. There's 22 people running around out there, someone is bound to grab someone when they shouldn't. However, when it doesn't affect the outcome of the play, they need to let this stuff go.

3rd and 23 defense calls an all out blitz, 3 guys guys come clean through the line and the QB throws a pass that is nowhere close to being caught. Wait a second there's a flag on the field. Holding on the CB that the QB never even had time to look at. Automatic First Down!!

What?

There's been a saying for as long as I've been watching the game. You can call holding on every single play. The solution is not to call all of those holding penalties though. It's to call the right ones, that actually affect the outcome of the play. A lost art it seems by the refs of today's league. Is the solution full time refs? Couldn't hurt.

*sidenote - Ed Hochulli is the Joey Crawford of the NFL. He loves him some airtime. Always has, always will. When the fans know the name of your refs, it's time to get new refs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":35l27ddb said:

It's almost impossible to be that consistent across all the variables of different teams, different personnel, and different situations and officiating crews without theorizing some sort of bias.

I'm talking penalties being low on all other teams, not our penalties being high. I get that with just our OL holding, false starting and other things more than the average OL.

Have you watched other games?

The officiating is terrible all over the place. The problem is for some reason the owners have decided they want PERFECTLY called games...........so for the past 10 years or so after every season there's a new laundry list of rules the owners want implemented cause Jerry Jones got screwed on Dez's catch, or Peyton got hit too late, or Brady tucked the ball, or Brady got hit in his knee and ruined his season...............on and on.

So now we have this impossible to officiate with 1,000 judgement call rules that old dudes who can't run anymore have to try and call with players going 100 mph at each other.

It's ridiculous, and the only way it's gonna change is to strip away some of these rules and go back to just letting the players play, and what happens happens.

White Devil

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yxxccf9 said:
Hawks46":2yxxccf9 said:

The officiating is terrible all over the place. The problem is for some reason the owners have decided they want PERFECTLY called games...........so for the past 10 years or so after every season there's a new laundry list of rules the owners want implemented cause Jerry Jones got screwed on Dez's catch, or Peyton got hit too late, or Brady tucked the ball, or Brady got hit in his knee and ruined his season...............on and on.

So now we have this impossible to officiate with 1,000 judgement call rules that old dudes who can't run anymore have to try and call with players going 100 mph at each other.

It's ridiculous, and the only way it's gonna change is to strip away some of these rules and go back to just letting the players play, and what happens happens.

FLyLLG0

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
White Devil":31zy0vsv said:
Sgt. Largent":31zy0vsv said:
Hawks46":31zy0vsv said:

FLyLLG0

Yes, I must admit Sgt., you were spot on with this one.

Rob12

Reaction score
Sherman is once again 100 percent accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justafan

Reaction score
The NFL in general is pretty sloppy.I think college ball is a better coached and has better officials.

I hate the term "it is what it is".It usually means things are so messed up nobody can fix the problem so just live with it. It is fixable.Start firing people. Thats what life is like in the real world.

Im not a conspiracy theorist but whats going on isnt right or fair.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Instead of calling New York, refs should consult a panel of 5 or 7 dudes in a neutral city bar. These calls are not that complicated. We can all watch one or two replays and know pretty well what happened, even if it doesn't go our way. The micromanaging is killing the game.

Sign37now

Reaction score
White Devil":3r7xc9b5 said:
Been saying this for years. Fixing the game isn't about more replays or more penalties, it's about letting these grown ass men who are the pinnacle of their sport engage each other and determine a winner. Goes for every position on the field.

It has progressively gotten worse with the acceptance of Fantasy Football and an Offense driven game. Can't have a QB get hurt because it affects income, so call ticky-tack fouls in the name of "protecting" the QB. Why do they only protect the QB, who is usually a white guy? You're right we need to protect the "defenseless" receivers too. Need more points.

The game may generate revenue with the current rules and keep "fans" happy, that really don't have a favorite team, it's all about the guys on their fantasy roster!!!

You know when the games are usually actually watchable?

During the Playoffs.

Why?

Because they let them play, usually.

There's going to be missed calls. That's the game. There's 22 people running around out there, someone is bound to grab someone when they shouldn't. However, when it doesn't affect the outcome of the play, they need to let this stuff go.

3rd and 23 defense calls an all out blitz, 3 guys guys come clean through the line and the QB throws a pass that is nowhere close to being caught. Wait a second there's a flag on the field. Holding on the CB that the QB never even had time to look at. Automatic First Down!!

What?

There's been a saying for as long as I've been watching the game. You can call holding on every single play. The solution is not to call all of those holding penalties though. It's to call the right ones, that actually affect the outcome of the play. A lost art it seems by the refs of today's league. Is the solution full time refs? Couldn't hurt.

*sidenote - Ed Hochulli is the Joey Crawford of the NFL. He loves him some airtime. Always has, always will. When the fans know the name of your refs, it's time to get new refs.

I'm finding the only watchable games are the ones I have to record cuz I'm working. That way I can FF past the 200,000 commercial breaks during the games. It's gotten so out of hand I can't stand watching a live game anymore..