Hendo66

Reaction score
Obvious:
RW injuries & several others
Bad O Line play
Sketchy play calling

Possible Solutions:
Change of pace - 4 minute / 2 minute offense
Speed them out - Quick pass attack ala NE, GB etc.

Week in / Week out it seems like the Offense is so slow moving. Bleeding the clock down and eventually
punting and the opponent goes on long drives killing TOP. Just no identity, strategy, urgency (until the last
drive) of game. Resulting in underwhelming results. Tough to watch.

Who's to blame? Pete, Bevell, Cable, Russ?

Solutions?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Doing the hurry up offense could lead to even MORE time on the field for the Defense. This has been egregious the last two weeks. If anything we should slow things down and plan plays out better. Having Russell get the ball out quicker (which he has already improved greatly here) or running more designed roll outs would help but I am not much of an X or O guy to help out here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3co3cpbk said:
Doing the hurry up offense could lead to even MORE time on the field for the Defense. This has been egregious the last two weeks. If anything we should slow things down and plan plays out better. Having Russell get the ball out quicker (which he has already improved greatly here) or running more designed roll outs would help but I am not much of an X or O guy to help out here.

It doesn't have to be hurry up.

I also think we need to go more up tempo, more like the 4 minute offense. IMO Russell's a BIGTIME confidence tempo rhythm QB, and right now he's overthinking everything because he's having to compensate for his injuries.

That's why he's taking the play clock down to zero seemingly every play trying to get the perfect protection and checking to the perfect play. It's creating him to hesitate, doubt and it's throwing off the rhythm and tempo of the offense.

I say get to the line and go! Enough already with the painful running down of the play clock allowing the defense to jump around and mess with Russell causing even more doubt.

Millen Hawk

Reaction score
YES! We seem to move the ball really easily in the hurry up offense and when we start drives with quick slant passes. The hurry up offense success could be contributed to the opponents D playing a prevent D but we need to try it during the game.

Assuming the RW is still hobbled by his knee injury eliminating the read option, I would like to see plays that do not take more then 3 seconds to progress...quick pass, runs, RB screens, and even the dreaded three WR set to DB. Throw in a seam to Graham and a wheel route to Lockett and then of course some kind of trick play to (or from) McEvoy and to me that sounds like the way we will move the ball.

I want to blame Bevell on not consistently calling plays that are working well for us. For example to start the second half of the NO game we had 3 or 4 run plays in a row for positive yards and first downs. The next possession we passed the ball. Why not run the ball again? I feel as though Bevell has the mentality of... "Our run game worked really well last possession so the other team will expect us to run again...so I am going to call plays that haven't worked for us because they won't expect it!" With that said.,.I am no expert but it seems like everyone outside of Seattle praises Bevell, including Trent Dilfer this morning on B&S. With RW hobbled and Beast Mode gone, I think we are seeing the real Bevell. Without RW scrambling and making unscripted plays and Beast Mode not carrying D's on his back for extra yards, he is having a terrible time calling plays...oops i went on a Bevell tangent and this is not a "Fire Bevell" thread

As much frustration as many fans have, I am staying positive for now. We have a lot of talent on our offense and I have faith in the coaches and players that we will figure it out.

Boycie

Reaction score
Hendo66":1lkxt5ty said:
Obvious:
RW injuries & several others
Bad O Line play
Sketchy play calling

Possible Solutions:
Change of pace - 4 minute / 2 minute offense
Speed them out - Quick pass attack ala NE, GB etc.

Week in / Week out it seems like the Offense is so slow moving. Bleeding the clock down and eventually
punting and the opponent goes on long drives killing TOP. Just no identity, strategy, urgency (until the last
drive) of game. Resulting in underwhelming results. Tough to watch.

Who's to blame? Pete, Bevell, Cable, Russ?

Solutions?

Running game could be better. Gotta stop giving RW 3rd and longs, and more manageable 3rd downs.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is already getting the ball out in under three seconds on most plays. This season is his fastest average release time in his career.

blazen2392

Reaction score
Rawls, Wilson, Baldwin and Lockett healthy would make this offense elite. When all of them are on the field healthy we are going to look unstoppable. in order of importance to get healthy,

1) Wilson ( will help oline play and more conversion leading to longer drives)
2)Rawls (mini beast most. Michaels aint cutting it right now. He showed that when he chose to run out of bounds instead of taking contact and fighting for that extra yard.)
3) Lockett (deep threat and better field position on returns. Locketts returns have been a non factor this year and Russ hasn't connected with him on a deep ball in weeks.)
4) Baldwin (Our best receiver and RW favorite target. Russ looks lost without Baldwin sometimes

Ozzy

Reaction score
I saw someone else say that the hurry up offense would leave the defense out there even longer and I disagree although it seems reasonable at first glance. A faster paced no huddle extended drive is still much longer than a stuttering 3 and out or one first down type drive. You don't do it all the time but using it at times would seem smart.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
blazen2392":gtmpky2q said:
Rawls, Wilson, Baldwin and Lockett healthy would make this offense elite. When all of them are on the field healthy we are going to look unstoppable. in order of importance to get healthy,

1) Wilson ( will help oline play and more conversion leading to longer drives)
2)Rawls (mini beast most. Michaels aint cutting it right now. He showed that when he chose to run out of bounds instead of taking contact and fighting for that extra yard.)
3) Lockett (deep threat and better field position on returns. Locketts returns have been a non factor this year and Russ hasn't connected with him on a deep ball in weeks.)
4) Baldwin (Our best receiver and RW favorite target. Russ looks lost without Baldwin sometimes
Disagree with the Michaels comment (that was one freaking play and he's on pace for a 1000 yd season despite everything going on) but agree that if/once we get healthy they should get very good.

Getting Willson back will be big too.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Maybe we can have OC Bevell call plays while watching from the press box where he can get a better view of the game.
Better view may improve playcalling and lend to quicker decisions/adjustments.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
A big key to improving on offense would be cutting down on penalties committed by the O Line.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3tgzb430 said:
A big key to improving on offense would be cutting down on penalties committed by the O Line.
Heard Bevell and Cable bring this up yesterday, and now both RW and Kearse today, just now.

From @softykjr
Holding penalties are KILLING the Seahawks offense. On pace for 37. Called for 24 last year and 21 in 2014.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Penalties are definitely huge but most of them are because of protection breakdowns so even if they cut down on penalties they are still plays that would of been big losses most likely. So I agree but not sure its as big of a fix as they make it seem to be if that makes sense. I worded that terribly but you get the idea.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
austinslater25":1ibmvnh8 said:
Penalties are definitely huge but most of them are because of protection breakdowns so even if they cut down on penalties they are still plays that would of been big losses most likely. So I agree but not sure its as big of a fix as they make it seem to be if that makes sense. I worded that terribly but you get the idea.
I guess it's possible that some of those holds were also lifesaving for Russ. But again, it been a hot point in various interviews this week.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Without pointing the finger.....

Get first downs on a consistent basis, use your offensive weapons often until the other team proves they can stop them.
Stay aggressive, without being aggressively stupid.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zsjgw7w said:
Year of The Hawk":2zsjgw7w said:

It doesn't have to be hurry up.

I also think we need to go more up tempo, more like the 4 minute offense. IMO Russell's a BIGTIME confidence tempo rhythm QB, and right now he's overthinking everything because he's having to compensate for his injuries.

That's why he's taking the play clock down to zero seemingly every play trying to get the perfect protection and checking to the perfect play. It's creating him to hesitate, doubt and it's throwing off the rhythm and tempo of the offense.

I say get to the line and go! Enough already with the painful running down of the play clock allowing the defense to jump around and mess with Russell causing even more doubt.

I'd agree, and I've been saying it since last year as well.

You can run the ball and still be uptempo. Just run it, get your subs in, get to the line, and go. You're not giving the defense time to get set, and you're making their subs sprint on and off the field to get rest. Guy is tired, needs a breather, but he has to go full sprint 25 yards just to get off the field in time.

We also have the personnel for it. Go with a 22 personnel and just pound it, then pass out of the same set. One of the mantras on .net about how bad Graham is at blocking is also proving to be completely untrue this year. He's dominating anyone short of DE's at the los.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe you guys are right. I think this would also let us dictate to the defense what we are going to do instead of the other way around.

Tical21

Reaction score
Go back to our roots like we always do when we struggle. Pack it in, establish the run first, then pop big plays through play-action.

chris98251

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1wrthcqt said:

A key to reducing holding calls would be to have Lineman that are better then guys picked up off the street or Free Agents and can match up better with the defensive talent and not feel they need to hold to protect Wilson.