Worst Play In NFL History (NFL Films)

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost.

[youtube]0vZ4JmQ2pjs[/youtube]

It's crazy that one play has overshadowed a whole Super Bowl win.

253hawk

Reaction score
Seriously? Jim Marshall, The Buttfumble, Leon Lett, Kyle Williams...

That was just a good play on a semi-poor pass. Maybe we should have ran a pick like the Saints and it would have been a TD. The 49ers passed it 3 straight plays to the same side to the same receiver from the 5 yard line against the Ravens and no one talks about that. :roll:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
253hawk":13cginxk said:

That was just a good play on a semi-poor pass. Maybe we should have ran a pick like the Saints and it would have been a TD. The 49ers passed it 3 straight plays to the same side to the same receiver from the 5 yard line against the Ravens and no one talks about that. :roll:
Here is the thing, this play WAS supposed to be a pick play. The biggest issue on the play was the design of it. The concept is fundamentally solid, the main issue is the match-ups. You had Kearse who was charged with picking off Malcom Butler. The issue here was he was up against Brandon Browner, the most physically imposing corners, and Browner knew exactly what was coming. He told Butler "go here" and he held Kearse up at the LOS -- meaning he never got to make his pick. Browner pressed Kearse, and he never got off Browner. The play was dead in the water right there. The second problem was the fact that we used one of our worst receivers to make the play. Game on the line, and we decide to go with who? Ricardo Lockette, a receiver that is prone to drops, whom was never a good route runner in the first place, on a play that had zero room for error. Moreover, the Patriots stated that from that formation we almost always ran this same exact play on the goalline. In the video it shows the Patriots even practicing against this same exact play.

This play was telegraphed, and we put Kearse and Lockette in an optimal position to fail. I think given all of these factors, combined with the fact that Lynch was gashing the Patriots, we should have at least given Lynch a shot before resorting to this kind of play.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
We had to pass at least once, or run out of time. It's just a question of which down. Interceptions in the end zone are infantesimally unlikely. That was just flukey, great play on defense.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The 2nd and wrong, IMHO it was the worst play evaaaaarrr!
UGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2fxjsbrt said:
We had to pass at least once, or run out of time. It's just a question of which down. Interceptions in the end zone are infantesimally unlikely. That was just flukey, great play on defense.
NOPE. You hand the ball off to Beastmode he scores the TD, game over!

sdog1981

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":21nakx2n said:
253hawk":21nakx2n said:

Here is the thing, this play WAS supposed to be a pick play. The biggest issue on the play was the design of it. The concept is fundamentally solid, the main issue is the match-ups. You had Kearse who was charged with picking off Malcom Butler. The issue here was he was up against Brandon Browner, the most physically imposing corners, and Browner knew exactly what was coming. He told Butler "go here" and he held Kearse up at the LOS -- meaning he never got to make his pick. Browner pressed Kearse, and he never got off Browner. The play was dead in the water right there. The second problem was the fact that we used one of our worst receivers to make the play. Game on the line, and we decide to go with who? Ricardo Lockette, a receiver that is prone to drops, whom was never a good route runner in the first place, on a play that had zero room for error. Moreover, the Patriots stated that from that formation we almost always ran this same exact play on the goalline. In the video it shows the Patriots even practicing against this same exact play.

This play was telegraphed, and we put Kearse and Lockette in an optimal position to fail. I think given all of these factors, combined with the fact that Lynch was gashing the Patriots, we should have at least given Lynch a shot before resorting to this kind of play.

This sums up why Bevell must be fired when it comes to NFL offenses he is uttlerly clueless.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1fzq6w3p said:
Lords of Scythia":1fzq6w3p said:

Uh, they did hand off to him on first own and he didn't score, but nice to know in your fantasy world you can predict the outcome of alternate universes.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1l6cctfq said:
Sports Hernia":1l6cctfq said:
Lords of Scythia":1l6cctfq said:

Uh, they did hand off to him on first own and he didn't score, but nice to know in your fantasy world you can predict the outcome of alternate universes.
Yes they did and it took 4 reluctant patriots to get Lynch down after a 4 or 5 yard gain. I believe with the game on the line needing ONLY one yard against the Cheatriots 31st ranked goal line defense that Lynch would have scored..... sorry if you don't agree.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3thd4a07 said:
253hawk":3thd4a07 said:

Great post! Indeed this is why Bevell supporters just don't get it and do not have a real argument-the play was doomed from the start based on the personnel and Browner's knowledge. The Pats fully expected this play out of this formation and practiced accordingly for it.

6'1 200 Kearse was expected to get around 6'4 221 Browner to pick Butler? No chance. And why the hell would anyone put the SB on the line with our 5th receiver? Complete asinine decisions by Bevell and apparent acquiescence by Carroll. You put the SB on the line with your very best players and then have no regrets about what happens. Bevell just doesn't believe in this-all about "surprise" with him and it frequently fails. And Carroll gives him free reign to call anything.

This play unfortunately deserves the #1 ranking. If Lynch was given the ball and fumbled, no regrets-they would've at least laid it all on the line with their very best.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":bluyr9w9 said:
Hawkstorian":bluyr9w9 said:
Sports Hernia":bluyr9w9 said:
Lords of Scythia":bluyr9w9 said:

Yes they did and it took 4 reluctant patriots to get Lynch down after a 4 or 5 yard gain. I believe with the game on the line needing ONLY one yard against the Cheatriots 31st ranked goal line defense that Lynch would have scored..... sorry if you don't agree.

Great points! The most painful thing was just never giving him a chance to win it. He had such a good run on 1st down from the 5 to drive it to the 1 and people have forgotten how tired NE's D was becoming-their front 7 was worn down and I would've taken Lynch's sure will over that whole D in that situation. And we still had a timeout-many have overlooked that. This still frustrates me 2 years later.

Bevell and Carroll just plain screwed up and many just don't want to admit it. They shrug it off as well it was just some fluke, phenomenal play by Butler and an imperfect pass or they just like to forget about the whole thing. This will just sicken me if our window closes in a few years without another title, knowing common sense could've given us a great chance at a second ring.

seabowl

Reaction score
Worst play or best play? Depends on which team you're talking about. Whatever side you're on the play Butler made was really really good and I at this point chalk it up to that. Dude made a great play.

NYCoug

Reaction score
.Net legend BFS, and I, got a chance to speak with a father of one of the Seahawks a few weeks ago. I'm not going to drop his name, but when the topic of XLIX came up, he said that his son has told him on many occasions that the team still talks about that fateful play on a daily basis.

So, while a large portion of our fanbase would like to act like it never happened, the players don't feel the same way about it. And in my humble opinion, that's a good thing. I'm glad that fire still burns deep. It should. The only way to truly get over it, will be to exercise the demons and win another Lombardi.

Ultimately, I dropped the ball. I should have asked him what the team truly thinks of Darrell Bevell, but alas, I choked Bevell-XLIX style and didn't get it done.

NJlargent

Reaction score
We had a chance to be the first team since the early 90s to go back to back. All I heard from non Seahawks fans was you never come back from that play and so far they are right. Saying it was a great play by Butler is a major overstatement and pure rah rah

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
It was the worst RESULT of a play. Not the worst play. It is not like we fake punted on our 5 yard line. There was a team earlier this year (I think) who tried to line up the whole team on one side for a punt. That is a worse play.

Couple of things here.

Lynch was not the most effective from the one according to history.

The Pats had there run stuff defense set up crowding the box.

We don't pick who our receivers line up against. The defense does that.

Play was not bad but execution and result were HORRIBLE.

Lets not forget they made one heck of a defensive play on that.