Should Kam move to Linebacker?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying first and foremost, the defense is obviously not an issue with this team. If it's not broke, don't fix it. This is simply an idea to potentially strengthen our defense and add years to Kam Chancellor's career here in Seattle.

We've seen recent success with Mark Barron and Deone Bucannon on the Rams and Cardinals respectively. Both players add speed to their linebacker core, and help their defense be a solid unit.

So my question is, would you like to see the Seahawks do the same with Kam and keep Kelcie McCray at strong safety. If not this season, maybe next season?

RussB

Reaction score
He already plays in the box alot anyway. But i think it would be cool to see kelcie at SS and put kam in at LOLB some snaps .

ARhawk

Reaction score
He'd be a really good WILL in our defense, but thats where KJ plays. Theres no need to move KJ around when hes been playing like the best non-pass rushing linebacker in the league not named Bobby Wagner.
The only spot left is SAM and I think his talents would be wasted the way we line up our linebackers. He would be on the line of scrimmage on the strong side of the offensive formation. We've seen him handle blocks from lineman before, but its different when hes running at them from 5 yards off the ball, instead of fighting them right off the ball. I think he'd be a great SAM if we ran a traditional 4-3, but because we run mostly 4-3 under, he wouldnt fit.
He plays in the box so much, that he usually ends up with responsibilities of a 4-3 linebacker anyway. Theres no need to shuffle around an already top-5 linebacking group in the NFL

Jville

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to Brock Coyle getting his second start as a SAM. Kevin Pierre-Louis is healthy again so linebacker is covered for Monday night. Looking forward to seeing a Brock Coyle opportunity to thrive in what is a new position for him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He already plays a Barron and Buchannon role. Matter of fact, they drafted/acquired those players with Chancellor in mind.

I also think putting him in the box full time is going to get him hurt more. Guy weighs 235 lbs and you're having him go head up with OLmen even more ? Shorten his career for sure.

RCATES

Reaction score
The only thing he's playing right now is Mind games with the coaching staff.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Jville":1rrmwwhp said:
I'm looking forward to Brock Coyle getting his second start as a SAM. Kevin Pierre-Louis is healthy again so linebacker is covered for Monday night. Looking forward to seeing a Brock Coyle opportunity to thrive in what is a new position for him.

If Brock Coyle is starting our defense is weaker for it. He is a solid ST'er and can fill in in spot duty as a MLB but don't want to see a team where he is a starter.

razor150

Reaction score
Why? Kam can't stay healthy as a SS, so lets put him in a position to receive more punishment. Sounds like a great idea.

Jville

Reaction score
HawkerD":t33vrmnu said:
Jville":t33vrmnu said:

If Brock Coyle is starting our defense is weaker for it. He is a solid ST'er and can fill in in spot duty as a MLB but don't want to see a team where he is a starter.

My unstated inference is that the defense had continued success with Brock Coyle filling in for Mike Morgan just as it did with Kelcie McCray filling in for Kam Chancellor. And, McCray used his first 2016 start to build on and elevate his second start. So ..... it's reasonable to anticipate a similar progression for Coyle in his second start.

Playing more than one position is valued characteristic. It builds in flexibility. There is no need to panic, freeze up or go hysterical over disappointing events or outcomes. Fans, like players, can declare ... "I'M IN" ... as in ... all in.

Coyle showed enough in his one week at a new spot to get the start against the Saints, and in the most significant playing time he has seen since his rookies season (32 of 76 defensive snaps), Coyle played well enough for Seahawks coach Pete Carroll to name him the starter again this week.

“Yeah he’s doing a nice job,” Carroll said. “I’m anxious to see him come on back. He had a very good week, it was somewhat of a rush last (week), so he’ll get better as we’re going. He’s a very smart player, plays hard and tough and we love having him on the field.”

Seahawks Linebacker Brock Coyle Making The Most of Opportunity at New Position >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/11/07/seahawks-linebacker-brock-coyle-making-most-opportunity-new-position[/urltargetblank]

The Seahawks are in good hands while awaiting Kams return. Their contingency planning works well.

RW92

Reaction score
Jville":1nf9wyez said:

Brock Coyle is a solid football player who lacks that level of athleticism that is needed at certain times to close on the play.

I'm not sure how we handle that position moving forward. But against faster teams I think he would struggle.