How do the Seahawks change the narrative re officiating?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
It's starting to really annoy me this perception that the Seahawks get lucky calls. Worst of all I think it does play in the minds of officials and the higher ups in the NFL.

It's the non calls for the opposition that really get to me, stuff that if the Seahawks do they get called on it, yet because of a couple of notable decisions we are seen as lucky. The facts do not back this up.

I'm probably not making a huge amount of sense, I'm very tired at work but what I see as frustration as a fan is a potential game changer for the Seahawks and their ambitions moving forward. How can we right this perceived injustice and is it even possible?

Followthelegion

Reaction score
I'm not sure in all honesty that the narrative can be changed.

Anyone seeing the ESPN coverage post-game can see that this is the line that they are pushing. Take the Atlanta game, the world cried foul at the DPI not called, yet no outlet reported the head slap on Sherman apart from Sherman himself in interviews!

It goes back to previous games as well, with the "Fail Mary" (this is the one that grates me as that was actually a Tate TD called correctly), and the bat out the endzone play by Wright against Detroit.

Maybe its an easy line to feed to consumers as Seattle have had such a great dominant period of late, people love to hate a winner so this narrative will go down well with the viewing public.

The impact on the officials is the one thing that really does worry me about all of this noise however. You can't help but fear with the game on the line in the playoffs, officials will have one thought on 'can't let the Seahawks get a lucky call here'.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Followthelegion":p8qnj6r5 said:
I'm not sure in all honesty that the narrative can be changed.

Anyone seeing the ESPN coverage post-game can see that this is the line that they are pushing. Take the Atlanta game, the world cried foul at the DPI not called, yet no outlet reported the head slap on Sherman apart from Sherman himself in interviews!

It goes back to previous games as well, with the "Fail Mary" (this is the one that grates me as that was actually a Tate TD called correctly), and the bat out the endzone play by Wright against Detroit.

Maybe its an easy line to feed to consumers as Seattle have had such a great dominant period of late, people love to hate a winner so this narrative will go down well with the viewing public.

The impact on the officials is the one thing that really does worry me about all of this noise however. You can't help but fear with the game on the line in the playoffs, officials will have one thought on 'can't let the Seahawks get a lucky call here'.

This narrative pushed by the media is why New Orleans, the most penalized team in the league, stole a game last week with an 11-2!!!!! penalty discrepancy.

Some crews will always have that in the back of their mind.

Its why our opponents have been the least penalized in the league going on 4 years in a row now.

NINEster

Reaction score
Why did Sherman not get an unsportsmanlike conduct for staring down Rex Ryan while a first down gesture by the Bills WR did?

Knocking down a WR on the final play of the game, no flag.

Stuff like that bothers people.

The whole "play to the whistle and then some" mantra that leads to the Seahawks bending the rules a bit in their favor gets on people's nerves. A lot of grey area stuff like the running into the kicker and some of the blocked kicks in the Cardinals game that gives the offending team a chance to benefit more times than not.

Same with the illegal contact on WRs going back a few years.

A lot of team fanbases complain week to week about calls, but only one has to consistently defend themselves.

In the end, it has not cost the Seahawks any wins so far, so why stop?

Reaneypark

Reaction score
NINEster":11gziznx said:
Why did Sherman not get an unsportsmanlike conduct for staring down Rex Ryan while a first down gesture by the Bills WR did?

The whole "play to the whistle and then some" mantra that leads to the Seahawks bending the rules a bit in their favor gets on people's nerves. A lot of grey area stuff like the running into the kicker and some of the blocked kicks in the Cardinals game that gives the offending team a chance to benefit more times than not.

A lot of team fanbases complain week to week about calls, but only one has to consistently defend themselves.

Stupid people who don't know the rules get bothered by this stuff. The Hawks just need to embrace being The Heel and keep doing what they do.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
no doubt the refs were awful yesterday. but the commentary is just terrible.

gruden constantly brushed off penalties committed by the bills by saying, I hate penalties. let them play.

fine, but that wasn't the narrative when the national media lost their minds when Sherm held JJones' arm in the ATL game. yet no one said a thing when the Bills did the same thing to Jimmy Graham...twice. the reason why Graham made those 1 handed catches in the end zone is because the DB grabbed and held is arm.

Cliff Avril was mugged by the RT so many times I lost count. no calls.

L McCoy, caught the ball around the sideline and set up a first and goal and TD. one problem, he stepped out of bounds on his own and was the first to touch the ball.

so, I don't want to hear about the Hawks getting away with calls.

drcool

Reaction score
And they can change the narrative by stringing together some dominant wins. When you win by less than a score there will always be questions about a call here or there. When you win by 30 there is nothing to blame on a call one way or the other.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the refs being impacted by it. For them to be concerned by this type of narrative would be to also admit they were wrong to begin with.

As for opposing fans... those opinions change week to week. No fan is ever happy with any other team other than their own. Some even feel motivated to come on here and try and speak for all others..

12thbrah

Reaction score
The narrative won't change. The Hawks play an aggressive style that toes the line in regards to the rulebook. You live or die with it but I do think the players adjust based on how close the refs are calling it early in the game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
They change the narrative by no longer being an elite team. Elite teams will always be hated by everyone who isn't a fan of said elite team. This is what success breeds.

Ozzy

Reaction score
NINEster":3ixnnlpp said:

Have you ever played? Sherman on the knockdown was text book football and something that is coached once the QB leaves the pocket. Do better.

Ozzy

Reaction score
drcool":1ojslnre said:
Reaneypark":1ojslnre said:
NINEster":1ojslnre said:

QB was out of the pocket. At that point you can hit the receivers if you want.

He's wrong but won't admit it. Sad really.

Laloosh

Reaction score
If it pisses off Niner fans, i hope they dont change a thing.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
NINEster":1imv3mph said:

The Bills' WR, Woods, looked right at Jeremy Lane and shoved the ball towards his face. Pretty clear taunting.

There is nothing in the rule books penalizing staring down an opposing player or coach.

NINEster":1imv3mph said:

When you say "people," I assume you are not including yourself.

It was perfectly legal and perfectly timed by Sherman. I can see why stuff like this would bother "people" (average uneducated fans), but in no way should that ignorance be fed into by the media like it is here.

irocdave

Reaction score
NINEster":pm1bhgvn said:

I saw your post in the Hawks thread in the toiletzone. Why not come out and say the same things in your safe haven rival forum? You know why, most of the idiots that post on your home forum don't know the rules, or just don't give a shit and just want a to vent about the Hawks. From your posts on this site, you don't come across as illogical as your flock you hang with, I bet you know why it was OK for the receiver to get his clock cleaned in the endzone when the QB was obviously outside the pocket. hell, I bet you even know that the refs messed up and didn't blow the whistle on the field goal attempt and Sherman did what in hindsight he should have. I bet you also know that he got his hand on the ball.

You are just a troll, making stupid comments on a rival forum, just so you can run back to your nest of stupidity with results for the fledgling idiots at the toilet zone to digest.

You sir have a pathetic life, I'm surprised your own kind allow you back in the bowl with them after sucking up to Hawk fans.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":3ch70dkl said:
If it pisses off Niner fans, i hope they dont change a thing.

Well there's always that. When it comes to Whiner fans whining about the Seahawks I'm reminded of Good Will Hunting. The bit where Robin Williams says he was upset about what Will had said and then he realises something and falls fast asleep. The fact that Will hasnt really lived etc.

This analogy works for Whiner fans too. When I read whatever guff they are talking I get annoyed for about a second before I realise they suck so badly on and off the field that it's only natural they would be so butthurt.

Go read whatever that douche elgauno on plebzone is posting and then remember how awful the organisation he supports is, it makes you feel really sorry for his (and the others) tragic personas. Poor little mites lashing out at an unfair world.

As for the topic at hand, maybe part of this analogy applies here to, the only thing worse than people talking about you is....

Seanhawk

Reaction score
irocdave":ckaip54f said:
NINEster":ckaip54f said:

I saw your post in the Hawks thread in the toiletzone. Why not come out and say the same things in your safe haven rival forum? You know why, most of the idiots that post on your home forum don't know the rules, or just don't give a shit and just want a to vent about the Hawks. From your posts on this site, you don't come across as illogical as your flock you hang with, I bet you know why it was OK for the receiver to get his clock cleaned in the endzone when the QB was obviously outside the pocket. hell, I bet you even know that the refs messed up and didn't blow the whistle on the field goal attempt and Sherman did what in hindsight he should have. I bet you also know that he got his hand on the ball.

You are just a troll, making stupid comments on a rival forum, just so you can run back to your nest of stupidity with results for the fledgling idiots at the toilet zone to digest.

You sir have a pathetic life, I'm surprised your own kind allow you back in the bowl with them after sucking up to Hawk fans.

Great post, but you are just giving him/her what they want. The only way to respond to trolls is not to acknowledge them at all.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
According to Buddhism, we are all the narrative. Thus, the question is: how do we change ourselves?

Largent80

Reaction score
Did you see SB 40?....and bad officiating goes WAY back before that game and what has the NFL done?

Latest posts