No Love for Bevell Today?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bevell's critics keep telling us he lacks imagination, he's too rigid, he's too predictable, he doesn't use our strengths properly..............well I saw one hell of an offensive game called last night.

Lots of motion to free up Jimmy, quick hits, screens and slants, using Russell's increased health to run a little read on the TD and most importantly with Lockett being healthy going deep again for explosive plays. One of the more complex dynamic play calling schemes of the past couple years.

Why you ask? Cause Pete finally had enough of trying to get the run game going and took the leash off the passing game and let it fly, that's why. Not Bevell, Pete.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I like that he abandoned the run when it wasn't working. Wilson was moving the chains through the air, so Bevell stuck with it. I'm glad he wasn't so stubborn that he just kept running Michael into a brick wall.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
2 to 1 time of possession (a good portion of that is on the defense this game) and only 3 points in the second half.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I thought we did well in the first half, but we tried too much ball control in the 2nd half.

Of course I'm not one who calls for Bevells head on a platter any given week. I consider him to be a decent OC who has positives and negatives. He's much closer to average than he is to either elite or trash, but he's serviceable.

I just wish that we'd stop trying to be a balanced team each week. I just knew after the half they'd try to run the ball, and from what I'd seen so far, it was going to be futile. I believe we could have won that game by double digits had we kept up the first half tempo from the start of the 2nd half.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
kidhawk":3gs450f0 said:
I thought we did well in the first half, but we tried too much ball control in the 2nd half.

Of course I'm not one who calls for Bevells head on a platter any given week. I consider him to be a decent OC who has positives and negatives. He's much closer to average than he is to either elite or trash, but he's serviceable.

I just wish that we'd stop trying to be a balanced team each week. I just knew after the half they'd try to run the ball, and from what I'd seen so far, it was going to be futile. I believe we could have won that game by double digits had we kept up the first half tempo from the start of the 2nd half.

The talent on this team deserves better than serviceable. Always compete should apply to the coaches the same as the players.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bitter":2e9754lf said:
2 to 1 time of possession (a good portion of that is on the defense this game) and only 3 points in the second half.

Blame the defense, they're the one's giving up 10 minute 20 plays drives cause they can't get off the field on 3rd down.

Compounded by the fact that we can't run the ball, again I'm not blaming Bevell for that. It's impossible right now with this line and a 3rd string RB that can't gain yards without a clean lane.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":3u7ntyjd said:

How could you think we're trying to be a balanced team when we only ran the ball 12 times last night and two of those was Russell's TD run and Lockett's 12 yard run?

bandiger

Reaction score
Jekyll and Hyde offense, no thanks. Although I do admit they only had like 3 drives that entire second half, just a recurrent theme of the season so far, TOP is too one sided.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Bitter":1c8hy7u7 said:
kidhawk":1c8hy7u7 said:

The talent on this team deserves better than serviceable. Always compete should apply to the coaches the same as the players.

It's difficult to consistently coach a team well when the offensive line is as bad as this one is. He's a decent coach with some good talent and some really poor talent.

I don't care how good you are as a coach or what kind of skills the money players have, it all starts in the trenches with the lines. As long as our line is as inconsistent as it has been, no coordinator will change our outcomes.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1f568tzz said:
kidhawk":1f568tzz said:

How could you think we're trying to be a balanced team when we only ran the ball 12 times last night and two of those was Russell's TD run and Lockett's 12 yard run?

Because they came out and tried to run the ball to start the second half. That failure was their attempt at trying to run the clock and balance the attack. It's what we do when we have a decent lead. It's what Carroll would have any coordinator try.

Be sure to read that I sad ATTEMPT to have a balanced attack...nowhere did I say they succeeded.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bevell took one too many deep shots when it wasn't necessary, but other than that, yep, he called a good game.

It's pretty obvious now that his pillbug offense over the last two games was called out of respect for the COMPLETE defenses we faced (Arizona, New Orleans). The Bills were like the Jets: great front seven, that's about it. Pete and Bevell knew to take some intermediate shots and they did.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2l5pk54m said:
Bitter":2l5pk54m said:

Blame the defense, they're the one's giving up 10 minute 20 plays drives cause they can't get off the field on 3rd down.

Compounded by the fact that we can't run the ball, again I'm not blaming Bevell for that. It's impossible right now with this line and a 3rd string RB that can't gain yards without a clean lane.

As you can see in the parenthesis I did put some of that on the defense. In the second half in particular, the offense contributed to that as well (the first half as well, but that wasn't because of short drives but rather drives that scored quickly.)

A

Anonymous

Nothinbutm":1fkp3nyj said:
I'll take first half-Bevell for 500, Trebeck.

For $500, and a share of the lead:

"In the year 2013, The Seahawks employed a short to intermediate passing game devised by Darrell Bevell, utilizing two-tight end sets featuring Anthony McCoy, and this tight end, formerly of the Oakland Raiders?"

:snack:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":216fh3kl said:
Nothinbutm":216fh3kl said:

"In the year 2013, The Seahawks employed a short to intermediate passing game devised by Darrell Bevell, utilizing two-tight end sets featuring Anthony McCoy, and this tight end, formerly of the Oakland Raiders?"

Man I wish we had him back from Chicago :sarcasm_off:

A

Anonymous

Nothinbutm":wsnu4mas said:

"In the year 2013, The Seahawks employed a short to intermediate passing game devised by Darrell Bevell, utilizing two-tight end sets featuring Anthony McCoy, and this tight end, originally drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars?"

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":6996k9qx said:
Sgt. Largent":6996k9qx said:
kidhawk":6996k9qx said:

Because they came out and tried to run the ball to start the second half. That failure was their attempt at trying to run the clock and balance the attack. It's what we do when we have a decent lead. It's what Carroll would have any coordinator try.

Be sure to read that I sad ATTEMPT to have a balanced attack...nowhere did I say they succeeded.

I'm still confused, "attempted" to have a balanced attack is unsuccessfully trying to run 20 times, not 10. Just because they came out in the 2nd half and ran the ball on their first play doesn't mean they committed to a balanced attack. All it means is Russell saw something in the D that said a run play might be successful.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":19plqxm6 said:
kidhawk":19plqxm6 said:
Sgt. Largent":19plqxm6 said:
kidhawk":19plqxm6 said:

I'm still confused, "attempted" to have a balanced attack is unsuccessfully trying to run 20 times, not 10. Just because they came out in the 2nd half and ran the ball on their first play doesn't mean they committed to a balanced attack. All it means is Russell saw something in the D that said a run play might be successful.

Not sure how you think that Wilson is to blame for how we came out of the locker room in the second half. That makes zero sense. If that's the case, what's the point of having an Offensive coordinator at all?

If you every watch any of our games since Carroll and Bevell have been here, what happens when we get a lead?

Time and time again, they try to force the run. That pattern was often successful when we had decent run blockers on the O-line and Lynch in the backfield. Right now, we do not have that. Their attempt at running the ball was a failure and got us off to a slow start in the second half.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2abgzznc said:
kidhawk":2abgzznc said:
Sgt. Largent":2abgzznc said:
kidhawk":2abgzznc said:

Exactly. And a few of those runs were used to keep the clock moving and force them to burn their timeouts in the fourth quarter.