Time outs?

evergreen

Reaction score
Why did Pete extend the Bills at the end of the half and game with time outs? They wouldn't have gotten a field goal try or down the field at the end without his clock stoppage. Just wondering what you think...

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I've watched Pete make poor decisions with the clock control of the playing time ever since he has been here. It leaves me scratching my head frequently.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
evergreen":2mwufgyi said:
Why did Pete extend the Bills at the end of the half and game with time outs? They wouldn't have gotten a field goal try or down the field at the end without his clock stoppage. Just wondering what you think...

At the end of the half, he got aggressive with 48 seconds left after we had stopped them on first down, hoping to get the ball back with a chance to score.

At the end of the game, we called timeouts with the hope that we could get the ball back if they scored. After the sack on 3rd down, the clock just rolled and it came down to one play.

Pete has made gaffes in the past with the clock, these were fine though.

stang233

Reaction score
Very smart move. DEFENSIVE coaches save time outs to rest their D line on key plays when theyou are tired. I liked the t.o. It was a good call.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
stang233":27izuu0k said:
Very smart move. DEFENSIVE coaches save time outs to rest their D line on key plays when theyou are tired. I liked the t.o. It was a good call.

I think its dumb, but I think that's exactly what happened with the challenge we lost. He just wanted a long time out. Pissed me off though... timeouts are gold in the last two minutes of the game.

2_0_6

Reaction score
The challenge and wasted timeout of a easy to call catch in the 4th almost cost us.

IF Buffalo scores on their last drive, there would have been13 seconds left on the clock after the play ended on 4th. When the third down play ended, IIRC there was something like 44 seconds left. Since we didn't have another TO, the clock just ran and ran for what seemed like 15 minutes. Getting the ball left with 44 seconds only needing a FG would have been somewhat doable.

RussB

Reaction score
Leaves time on the clock for the offense incase the bills would have scored a TD. Also lets the defense catch their breath for a little bit.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
RussB":2ti65dy7 said:
Leaves time on the clock for the offense incase the bills would have scored a TD. Also lets the defense catch their breath for a little bit.

Both of these things. The Bills had plenty of time to operate however they wanted but had no time outs left, so if the Seahawks stop them with a minute left on the clock the game was over anyways (no way for the Bills to stop the clock with the ball in the Seahawks possession) and if the Hawks didn't stop the Bills, there would have been at least a little bit of time to come back with. Taking those time outs was would they should be doing. I often found myself frustrated at them not taking timeouts in similar situations in the past as the likelihood of something bad coming out of it is low.