Don't be Mad that Sherm knows the rules better than the refs

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/8/13561208/richard-sherman-block-field-goal-seahawks-bills-officials
Nice read over at SBNation...

While tall and long, Sherman isn’t the most athletic cornerback in the league. He plays a lot of cover three, erasing the deep third of the field and daring you to play underneath — something the Seahawks as a whole do on defense. Where he excels, though, is soaking up knowledge and using it to his advantage. He’s a smart player who knows the game, and the rulebook, in and out, and how to find small advantages playing on the margins (like grabbing a receiver’s skin while fighting for position instead of jersey, as he explains in the video above).

But on Monday night, Sherman wasn’t really at fault for what happened at the end of the half, and the end of the game, against the Bills. That honor goes to the officials, with an assist from Sherman.

In the middle of all of this, Sherman and Rex Ryan had a discussion.

rexsherm.0.gif

If that upset you, too, ask yourself why you’re taking sides in a fight between Rex Ryan and Richard Sherman that includes sideline cussin’. Laugh a little.

There was one more moment that was pointed out as an example of Sherman getting away with something, again at the end of a game.

Sherm0

The official was standing right there, looking at the play, and made no call.

That shouldn’t make you mad at Sherman, though. It should, however, make you mad at the officials who, as a result of Sherman doing something just a tad bit out of the ordinary, completely bungled the play clock and entire end of half situation on their own.

Under pressure, the officials were the ones that folded.

Sherman wasn’t at fault for any of that, but it’s a lot easier to yell at him than an officiating crew you’ll forget about by tomorrow.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I had no idea about the rule that you could lay out a WR once the QB leaves the pocket, huge respect for Sherman for taking advantage of that and also avenging a play earlier in the game where the same guy took a shot on him!

Ramfan128

Reaction score
peppersjap":vj8kzcix said:
I had no idea about the rule that you could lay out a WR once the QB leaves the pocket, huge respect for Sherman for taking advantage of that and also avenging a play earlier in the game where the same guy took a shot on him!

I am stunned that as a Seahawk fan you did not know this.

For one thing, Seattle has been doing it since they became good.

For another, every illegal contact penalty called typically starts with the ref saying "While the QB was in the pocket, illegal contact number 25..."

Which tells you that if the QB was out of the pocket, you can contact the WR however you want.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sherm is a stud. Thanks for sharing the link. Careful with using so much of the article in your post though.

253hawk

Reaction score
peppersjap":3g5wakmb said:

He's done it a couple of times and drew a flag on it against Kenny Stills, because it was more of a block from the side. He was even fined for it, but Stills didn't think it warranted the fine Sherman got for it. Powell is coming at him dead-on and considered a blocker at that point, so he could have done the same thing to Sherman.

No ref is going to call that because it wasn't illegal...and even if it was borderline, it was so far away from the play and basically the last play of the game. And it's not like Taylor was going to throw it away from his body all the way across the field at Sherman in one-on-one coverage or anything.

richard-sherman-cheap-shot-against-saints.gif

Seanhawk

Reaction score
253hawk":2vh16l8f said:
peppersjap":2vh16l8f said:

He's done it a couple of times and drew a flag on it against Kenny Stills, because it was more of a block from the side. He was even fined for it, but Stills didn't think it warranted the fine Sherman got for it. Powell is coming at him dead-on and considered a blocker at that point, so he could have done the same thing to Sherman.

No ref is going to call that because it wasn't illegal...and even if it was borderline, it was so far away from the play and basically the last play of the game. And it's not like Taylor was going to throw it away from his body all the way across the field at Sherman in one-on-one coverage or anything.

richard-sherman-cheap-shot-against-saints.gif

I'm thinking it might have been called because of the timing. If you look at Earl and Jimmy, their body language would seem to indicate that the ball had been thrown by the time Sherm made contact.

Back to the last play of the game Monday, how priceless would that have been if it was Percy?

253hawk

Reaction score
IIRC, the ball had just left Brees' hand so you're probably right. Technically it's still in the air though and the play is still alive.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
253hawk":15b16nbg said:
IIRC, the ball had just left Brees' hand so you're probably right. Technically it's still in the air though and the play is still alive.

Yeah, but I believe once the ball is in the air, then it is pass interference. I'm fairly certain this is only allowed when the QB is out of the pocket and before the ball is thrown. Was the call pass interference or a personal foul?

253hawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":mggkm16r said:
Yeah, but I believe once the ball is in the air, then it is pass interference. I'm fairly certain this is only allowed when the QB is out of the pocket and before the ball is thrown. Was the call pass interference or a personal foul?

After digging up the play, they called it unnecessary roughness and he made the hit right as the ball sailed wide past whoever Brees was throwing it to around the 8 yard line. If it had been caught, it probably wouldn't have been a penalty but who knows.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Seeing this:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/796450498056491008[/tweet]

Makes this:
sherm.0.gif

A little more understandable.