Seahawks vs. Patriots matchups

Hawks46

Reaction score
I did pick against us in Aros' thread, as I think coming off of a short week, missing Bennett and the Pats are rested up plus the travel is all going to prove to be a bit too much.

Thing is, looking on paper, it's not a horrible matchup. The Pats team is kinda weird: their defense is ranked 16th in total yardage allowed at 354, yet is only allowing 16.5 ppg, which is a hair under what we're allowing. They don't have a great pass rush, and no real dominant DL players. I would like the total matchup better, but our OL doesn't seem to know their run blocking assignments yet. I still think Wilson is going to have time, and he'll find people open. The Pats secondary isn't going to be able to shut down Baldwin and Graham, and if so, Lockett is going to have a career game. Bellichik's philosphy on defense is to take away the thing you do best, then try to get you to beat them other ways.

Unless Lane channels his inner self from the SB, I think the Pats slot guy (Edelman/Amendola) is going to have a field day against him. Even if Chancellor is back, how do we match up with Gronk and Bennett ? Will we get enough pressure without our Bennett ?

Wondering what you folks' thoughts are on this.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
The thing we try to do first is to take away the run.

With Kam coming back, my hope is that we can take away Blount first. Key then will be to get to Brady.

This game hinges for me on how we get to the passer. If we can sack Brady and get off the field on 3rd and moderate, I think we have a chance.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Fair analysis...I just am straining to find a realistic chance we win the Sunday and all I have is:

Russell Wilson Magic.

We've seen how many minutes our defense has been on the field the past 3 games and they are clearly gassed. Coming off a short week I cannot see how that will improve Sunday. Bennett's continued absence will be a serious hit to our ability to apply perimeter pressure consistently, even with Avril building houses. Kam coming back will be welcome news but has his groin injury truly healed or "healed enough" to play? If it's the latter I'm not sure how much his presence will be felt.

The good news of course is even injured and tired, you would be hard pressed to find a team in the NFL with more heart and will to win. It's why they haven't been blown out of any game in years.

I expect a good fight. Unfortunately I also expect a loss.

Nobody would be happier for me to be wrong than me.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
It's been years since the Hawks lost any game by more than 7 points. Given that incredible streak we should expect them to, at a minimum, be within reach of winning in the 4th quarter.

Wilson looks very hot. After Monday night's flashes of really great performance I like now like our chances against that D.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Aros":3hwhewnf said:
Fair analysis...I just am straining to find a realistic chance we win the Sunday and all I have is:

Russell Wilson Magic.

We've seen how many minutes our defense has been on the field the past 3 games and they are clearly gassed. Coming off a short week I cannot see how that will improve Sunday. Bennett's continued absence will be a serious hit to our ability to apply perimeter pressure consistently, even with Avril building houses. Kam coming back will be welcome news but has his groin injury truly healed or "healed enough" to play? If it's the latter I'm not sure how much his presence will be felt.

The good news of course is even injured and tired, you would be hard pressed to find a team in the NFL with more heart and will to win. It's why they haven't been blown out of any game in years.

I expect a good fight. Unfortunately I also expect a loss.

Nobody would be happier for me to be wrong than me.

I'm with you, unfortunately. I think looking at in general, we're in over our head and it could get ugly.

Then I started looking at individual match ups, and liking a lot of them. Blount isn't the kind of back that hurts us. Other than the slot, I don't see their WR's doing much against us. Their TE match ups are good for them. They don't have any dominant pass rushers or even run stoppers. Against that OL, we can get pressure on Brady. Wilson is looking healthier.

Then it's like: we can't get out of our own way in the run game, Bellichick will take away either Graham or Baldwin, can Russ adjust ?

There's a lot to like from an individual stand point. I still think we'll lose, but it warrants discussion.

Largent80

Reaction score
Pats are 11-10-1 after the bye all time. Hardly world beaters and also, they beat up Cleveland...Big Whoop, and a dinged Buffalo team, also Cincy which are pretty weak wins.

I'm sticking to my win prediction for the Hawks.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think this game is gonna be a shoot out. The Pats are set up to give our defense fits with there dink and dunk style of play. I feel like the Hawks are gonna need to win the turnover battle and also have a big play on special teams to pull off the win.