Jimmy Graham / Rob Gronkowski comparison

Fade

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham should lead the league in TDs every season. Gronk should be right there with him, but Gronk gets the RZ targets, and Jimmy doesn't, so the perception is Gronk is better. Put Gronk on the Seahawks, and Jimmy on the Patriots. What would happen? The inverse.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Jimmy pretty boy ...Gronk smash..

They are both one on one mismatches but even though Seattle Jimmy is way more physical than Saint Jimmy, Gronk is
more brutal. I do believe Gronk is helped by the team he is on as illustrated by that last play. The pass did not
end up being catchable but still any receiver or TE on another team gets called for the push off. The fact that he is Brady's boy truly allows him to use his size to magnify his advantage. The Pats know this and they make every effort to exploit it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The 2 best TEs in the league right now. I have no problem ranking Gronk as #1, either.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Fade":1q9hkd4i said:
Jimmy Graham should lead the league in TDs every season. Gronk should be right there with him, but Gronk gets the RZ targets, and Jimmy doesn't, so the perception is Gronk is better. Put Gronk on the Seahawks, and Jimmy on the Patriots. What would happen? The inverse.
Jimmy would get to push off and Gronk would be used as a blocker in the redzone.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Jimmy is better, more athletic. I hope this thread soon has 400 replies because I will HAVE this debate.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I was gonna say Gronk instills an element of fear as he seems to play 'bigger' as a target in some fashion, but checking the tape, they're the same weight (officially) and Graham's an inch taller. Still, the fear in opponents is there.

blazen2392

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1au9kojc said:
Jimmy is better, more athletic. I hope this thread soon has 400 replies because I will HAVE this debate.

Gronk is unstoppable. you can't take him out of games. Jimmy can be though. Even just using us as an example. We've always managed to shut down jimmy. Weve never fully contained Gronk before. He always gets his.

I disagree. Gronk is more of an athletic freak than jimmy. hands wise they are about equal and make the same type of circus catches. but Gronks superior YAC ability, physicality and blocking make him better than jimmy. If he wasn't so injury prone we would be on pace to be the greatest TE in NFL history. Even right now he is in the conversation. I don't think jimmy is.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
blazen2392":3v0orohj said:
NFSeahawks628":3v0orohj said:

Gronk is unstoppable. you can't take him out of games. Jimmy can be though. Even just using us as an example. We've always managed to shut down jimmy. Weve never fully contained Gronk before. He always gets his.

I disagree. Gronk is more of an athletic freak than jimmy. hands wise they are about equal and make the same type of circus catches. but Gronks superior YAC ability, physicality and blocking make him better than jimmy. If he wasn't so injury prone we would be on pace to be the greatest TE in NFL history. Even right now he is in the conversation. I don't think jimmy is.

I see your point but disagree. Several of fronts routes are designed to be crossing or reverse of the roll out. Brady is taller so throwing over the line, or back across the field is less risky than Brees or RW. Jimmy gets 80% jump balls. YaC aren't there as often.

But as a subsequent poster typed, jimmy is blocking in the end zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blazen2392

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":2vq91ptl said:
blazen2392":2vq91ptl said:
NFSeahawks628":2vq91ptl said:

I see your point but disagree. Several of fronts routes are designed to be crossing or reverse of the roll out. Brady is taller so throwing over the line, or back across the field is less risky than Brees or RW. Jimmy gets 80% jump balls. YaC aren't there as often.

But as a subsequent poster typed, jimmy is blocking in the end zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no knowledge on this to dispute it. I've never known the saints playbook or ours for that matter to be limited by QB height. but even if it is, on similar routes I would say Gronk is still better. He's much more physical at the LOS , harder to get off his route and harder to tackle. Like Lynch in some ways. Jimmy was always seen as "soft". Hell, we used to run wild with this till he became a hawk :roll: . Especially how he pretty much rendered him ineffective in the regular season and to a degree in the playoffs.

I would say the only thing jimmy does better is run crisper routes (but irrelevant because I see him as easier to reroute), and is faster. Hands and spectacular catches are equal, and everything else Gronk does better.