Rapid reaction

Rob12

Reaction score
Some rapid reaction thoughts following a 31-24 Seahawks win over the Patriots in Foxboro:

1) Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL. I feel like he ripped that crown away from Brady tonight in Tom's house. Take away the drops and Wilson was 29-37 for nearly 400 yards. All while still mildly hobbling around and having no real run game to speak of (more on that later). The narrative has always been that Russ was a gimmicky QB in the mold of Fran Tarkenton. That's simply not true. With 60 rush yards this year, he has shown that he's as pure of a pocket passer as there is in the league. I used to hear it quite often from non-Seahawks fans - "when Russ loses his legs (ability to scramble and run), he's done as a QB." Not so fast. He's lethal in the pocket and can and will pick apart any defense in the league. Hurt or not. I think you would have a hard time arguing against him not being the MVP of this league. And remember that he's only in his fifth season and is just 27. The best is yet to come.

2) CJ Prosise is the real deal. He doesn't look fluid running the ball - yet. But he will build off of this game. He averaged a shade under 4 YPC which was plenty enough to keep the Pats D honest. In his first game as the feature back, he showed trust that the line would create holes and attacked them before they were even there. Paired with a hopefully healthy Rawls? Well, the sky is the limit. As a receiver, he's deadly. Some on here harped on him early on, but the FO knew what they were doing. I think his impact on this offense will be similar to Tyler Lockett's.

3) The defense is great but they are just scratching the surface. Getting Kam back was huge. But they have to get better on third down. I love Snead but he's inconsistent. He looks great one week then rough the next. The best part is he knows it and will work on getting better. He thanked the defense for picking him up tonight. I love the dude. Great athlete. Just needs to be more consistent. Frank Clark is a star in the making. Quietly on pace for 13 sacks this season. When Bennett comes back, look out. Brady hasn't had a game with zero TD passes and at least one pick at home since 2007. Let that sink in - 2007. Tighten up on third down, D. That's all I ask.

4) RW to ADB is lethal. LETHAL. That's all I need to say about that.

5) The offensive line played great. I've been hard on them lately but they played a nice game. Glowinski, despite a couple of penalties, looks great in the run game. Fant is holding his own and I actually believe Sowell has lost his job to him. Pretty amazing if you know Fant's past. I thought Gilliam was solid. Overall, the offensive line did great and can build off of this. Next week will be a tough test but I think they'll be up for the challenge.

6) JG's red zone targets. I ain't even mad. It was clear that one of NE's main game plans was to take JG away. We're going to see games like that where that happens. He still made some nice grabs and opened up things for ADB.

7) Earl is back. Gronk called him a "missile" and said he's never been rocked like that. He's had a great few weeks after a pretty rough start to the season.

8) We're getting healthier. Lockett's burst seems to be back. Bad news for opposing defenses from here on out.

9) I love Kearse but I want to see P-Rich eat into some of his snaps from here on out.

10) I think we'd beat Dallas by two TD's right now.

That's all I've got.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Great win, but out red zone play calling is awful for the most part. 2 for 6 in the red zone will not get it done.

Graham with 0 targets in the RZ should not happen. It's pretty easy to motion him similar to the last play with Gronk so he is isolated.

We dominated that game from start to finish, it should have been atleast a 14 point win if we can get better down there.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
When you have man coverage in the red zone with someone over the top specifically for JG, you don't throw to that. BB put 2 guys on graham all night, which is fine as long as t opened up other guys. You don't just throw into double coverage because JG might come down with it. And INT=zero points. Take care of the ball first.

ivotuk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":24zhzuim said:
When you have man coverage in the red zone with someone over the top specifically for JG, you don't throw to that. BB put 2 guys on graham all night, which is fine as long as t opened up other guys. You don't just throw into double coverage because JG might come down with it. And INT=zero points. Take care of the ball first.

This. All day long, this.

bighawk

Reaction score
The o-line was good not great they just need to show more consistency. Fant to not have much experience is doing well. Marsh is getting better. The pass rush without Bennett was impressive. Kam is the man welcome back big fella.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
My gripe was the 3rd and long...seemed like every time we got them in 3rd and long, Brady passed for 20+ for a First.
It was maddening.

pmedic920

Reaction score
scrummymustard":28f8jjgb said:
Great win, but out red zone play calling is awful for the most part. 2 for 6 in the red zone will not get it done.

Graham with 0 targets in the RZ should not happen. It's pretty easy to motion him similar to the last play with Gronk so he is isolated.

We dominated that game from start to finish, it should have been atleast a 14 point win if we can get better down there.

I think the consensus is, #88 was doubled and covered fairly well most of the night.
If that's the case, it's smarter to go to the less obvious target in single coverage.

I'm thinking that the Pat's figured they would take Jimmy out of the equation and force RW to use other weapons. They did, and our guy did a great job.
I'm 100% ok with the way things played out.

YMMV

pmedic920

Reaction score
Rob12":1klwiz4f said:
Some rapid reaction thoughts following a 31-24 Seahawks win over the Patriots in Foxboro:

1) Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL. I feel like he ripped that crown away from Brady tonight in Tom's house. Take away the drops and Wilson was 29-37 for nearly 400 yards. All while still mildly hobbling around and having no real run game to speak of (more on that later). The narrative has always been that Russ was a gimmicky QB in the mold of Fran Tarkenton. That's simply not true. With 60 rush yards this year, he has shown that he's as pure of a pocket passer as there is in the league. I used to hear it quite often from non-Seahawks fans - "when Russ loses his legs (ability to scramble and run), he's done as a QB." Not so fast. He's lethal in the pocket and can and will pick apart any defense in the league. Hurt or not. I think you would have a hard time arguing against him not being the MVP of this league. And remember that he's only in his fifth season and is just 27. The best is yet to come.

2) CJ Prosise is the real deal. He doesn't look fluid running the ball - yet. But he will build off of this game. He averaged a shade under 4 YPC which was plenty enough to keep the Pats D honest. In his first game as the feature back, he showed trust that the line would create holes and attacked them before they were even there. Paired with a hopefully healthy Rawls? Well, the sky is the limit. As a receiver, he's deadly. Some on here harped on him early on, but the FO knew what they were doing. I think his impact on this offense will be similar to Tyler Lockett's.

3) The defense is great but they are just scratching the surface. Getting Kam back was huge. But they have to get better on third down. I love Snead but he's inconsistent. He looks great one week then rough the next. The best part is he knows it and will work on getting better. He thanked the defense for picking him up tonight. I love the dude. Great athlete. Just needs to be more consistent. Frank Clark is a star in the making. Quietly on pace for 13 sacks this season. When Bennett comes back, look out. Brady hasn't had a game with zero TD passes and at least one pick at home since 2007. Let that sink in - 2007. Tighten up on third down, D. That's all I ask.

5) The offensive line played great. I've been hard on them lately but they played a nice game. Glowinski, despite a couple of penalties, looks great in the run game. Fant is holding his own and I actually believe Sowell has lost his job to him. Pretty amazing if you know Fant's past. I thought Gilliam was solid. Overall, the offensive line did great and can build off of this. Next week will be a tough test but I think they'll be up for the challenge.

6) JG's red zone targets. I ain't even mad. It was clear that one of NE's main game plans was to take JG away. We're going to see games like that where that happens. He still made some nice grabs and opened up things for ADB.

7) Earl is back. Gronk called him a "missile" and said he's never been rocked like that. He's had a great few weeks after a pretty rough start to the season.

8) We're getting healthier. Lockett's burst seems to be back. Bad news for opposing defenses from here on out.

9) I love Kearse but I want to see P-Rich eat into some of his snaps from here on out.

That's all I've got.

I can't get on board with #10.
Wish I could, and pray that you're right/I'm wrong.
Dallas right now is my biggest concern looking at playoff scenarios.

I truly hope that we end up with that game at home, if it happens.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rob12":26q5rcms said:
9) I love Kearse but I want to see P-Rich eat into some of his snaps from here on out. .

All great points, but this is the one I agree with the most. I'm done with Kearse, he's not even a good enough blocker for me to forgive 2-3 balls a game bouncing off his hands.

Problem is as talented as P-Rich is, he's 170 lbs soaking wet, so he has an even harder time blocking than Kearse does. Which is probably why Pete isn't giving him more downs. You GOTTA block in Pete's offense.

At this point? I'd rather see Richardson or even McEvoy.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Wow, lot of justified enthusiasm after last night's game, but this list is way way way premature in my book.

1. On Russ, he looked amazing *for the most part*. He also missed some throws. Badly. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want anyone else, but crowning him the best after yesterday doesn't fly with me. I've seen him play better. That being said, this was an amazing performance, and I love that he's our QB.

2. On CJ Prosise, I agree he looked great! Who knows where his career will lead. But this is very very promising. Good to see some justification on why we spent an early pick on him. Love the versatility, hopefully he keeps on getting better and better.

3. Defense. I'd say they were great when they had to be. The Patriots moved up and down the field on them. The Patriots RAN on the Hawks. KJ, IMO, has not looked good the last few games, but Earl and Kam were pretty awesome. I worry about the D, but they're fighting and scratching and clawing and doing enough for us to win...barely. And, as everyone knows, this is not an easy offense to stop. This is the second week in a row that the opposition ran effectively against us, though.

4. On Doug Baldwin, he is terrific, when Russ has time. Look back at his production over the earlier part of this season to see what happens when Russ has no time and we have no run game. It's not lethal. Given time, though, this is an amazing combination. A better throw from Russ and you could have added a 2pt conversion to the tally.

5. On the Offensive Line, wow! I am just amazed at what this offense looks like when they actually block well. I wouldn't mistake them for the Cowboys line just yet, but they played well enough, and even exceptional at times. This is the thing that makes me optimistic more than anything else. If they can just keep improving, maybe we'll see a repeat of the productivity we saw last year!

6. JG in the red zone. I think Bevell called a good game and Russ picked his targets well. OK, maybe he threw to Kearse a bit too often ;) But ultimately, I have no issue with the way JG was used, or the playcalling. Red zone play could have been much better, so it's something to work on, but it wasn't bad.

7. Great to see Earl back in form. The hit on Gronk was reminiscent to me of Kam's hit on Demarious Thomas in the Super Bowl. It was a game changer.

8. Totally agree, great to see us getting healthy!

9. I don't want to see P-Rich or Kearse, I'd rather see Tanner McEvoy.

10. If you think we beat Dallas by 2 TD's, I don't think you've watched the Cowboys play. In my mind it'd be a knock down, drag out fight that comes down to the wire just like NE, NO, PHX, LA, MIA, BUF and just about every other frickin game we played this year. Can't understand why you would think differently...

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Prediction machine has Dallas as the easiest strength of schedule after week 9. They are 32, we are 28. Do we beat Dallas right now? I think we do, but not by 2 TD'S.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Rob12":1c2zv20m said:

That's all I've got.

1. I disagree. Just because RW beat Brady for one game, doesn't mean RW all of a sudden leap frogs Brady. Brady has been playing lights out football all season. Tbh, RW has been pretty bad all season up until last week. Obviously the injuries and Oline are a big part of it, but I wouldn't pass the torch quite yet. There is no doubt RW is a top 5 QB, probably even top 3, but Brady is still #1 IMO. Don't forget Brady faced the best defense yesterday whereas RW faced a pretty average one.

2. Agreed. The perfect 3rd down back. I'm not sure the Hawks envision him running the ball 15+ times a game between the tackles, but there is no question he is a play maker.

3. Agreed. I really can't find any complaints about the defense.

4. Yes. Their connection is truly unique. Four years in the making.

5. The Oline was awesome last night, but we played a team with zero pass rush. I have a feeling that next week it will be back to "doom and gloom" with the Oline. The Eagles have a top 5 front seven and Jim Schwartz will attack us at our weak spots on the line.

6. JG was responsible for that last TD to Baldwin . He clearly pulled the safety over to his side of the field. If JG isn't catching TD's in the RZ, he is assisting on them.

7./8./9. 100% agree on points 7-9.

10. I wouldn't go that far. It's very hard to beat anyone in the NFL by two TD's. Dallas' Oline will keep them in any game, similar to how our defense will keep us in any game. On a neutral field (Cowboys stadium :lol:) we probably edge them out. At the Clink we win by a TD or more.

Great post though, I enjoy reading a lot of your stuff.