Poll:Collins or Pope for PS-EDIT 1 has to go.

Collins or Pope on the practice squad?

• POPE

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • COLLINS

Votes: 44 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnnyfever

Reaction score
With the news of rawls practicing this week to play in the eagles game, this is now a real decisions they will make. We know Pete is hyped up on Collins, so that is probably the way they will go, but just purely on merit, what do you think?

Which do you think has a higher ceiling, is more versatile (special teams, different schemes), is more athletic, is a better fit for what we do? Taking all these factors into account, which one ends up on the practice squad in your world not the coaches, and why?

EDITIf you vote for pope, that means he makes practice squad and Collins is released. We only keep 3 Rb's on the roster, and those spots are taken. Should have clarified this first.

Basis4day

Reaction score
A reminder for discussion's sake that for Collins to go to the PS he would need to be cut and clear waivers.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
If he didn't right away, he eventually would find the waivers again I'm sure. To be fair, pope followed the same route.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I want Pope on the regular roster. I've thought that since training camp. Collins does some good things, but they are overshadowed by the rest of what he does, which is not good.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Unless they keep procise on as a WR, we will have 3 RB'S active. Rawls, cmike and promise. I doubt they keep 4.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Follow up- I liked what I saw from pope in the preseason, but I would need to see him go up against a few regular season starting defenses before he gets cmikes spot.

Largent80

Reaction score
It would be a nice luxury to keep them both on the P.S. but probably impossible.

Collins definitely could use the seasoning.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Surprising Collins is leading Pope. What do you guys see in Collins that makes you believe he is the better option?

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The way the question is phrased is "who do you want on the practice squad", so if Collins is ahead doesn't that mean people want Pope on the 53-man roster?

Or maybe some people interpreted it as you probably indented, being which back do you prefer.

Or maybe a mix of both. The poll is very poorly worded so you're going to get mixed-up data.

I haven't seen much of Collins, and I've seen even less that I like. However, I'm not coaching him day-by-day so I have no idea what the coaches see in him.

I did hear one interview from Pope in pre-season in which he sounded dumber than a box of rocks. Maybe it's being nervous fronting the media, or maybe just the way he talks, or maybe he really is dumb as a box of rocks, but given the physical abilities he displayed in pre-season there had to be something holding him back from the roster, particularly given the lack of flash from Collins.

AusSeahawk

Reaction score
Those saying Collins is no good, hes probably only had 30 snaps this season. Give it a rest.

Admittedly id rather Pope but the way injuries have gone this season id like to keep him

HawkFan72

Reaction score
johnnyfever":gbkdgc0r said:
Surprising Collins is leading Pope. What do you guys see in Collins that makes you believe he is the better option?

If Collins goes to the PS, I think the assumption is that Pope would take his spot on the 53 man roster.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Ah, my bad. We have procise, cmike and Rawls on the roster. They usually only keep 3 running backs so pope or Collins has to go. 1 practice squad, 1 released. Sorry fellas. I'll edit the OP.

Largent80

Reaction score
Collins was a draft pick. They are more inclined to keep him than Pope. But if you get one carry in a big game and fumble it, one may be inclined to see that draft status be gone.

I would like to see what Pope can do, even if it's only some return duties. And to me it's a no risk to put Collins on waivers.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I agree with you Largent that as a decent draft pick, the coaches would probably keep Collins. I was just wondering what everyone thought purely on player merit, not trying to foresee the actual coaching decision. I would really like to see pope in an actual game situation with a real defense. He looked good in preseason, but that was against rag tags and second half when coaches were trying different things. Hard to judge a guy against that. It doesn't stand well that he was released from the bills either.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Why does one have to go to the PS?

Rawls is already on the 53 I believe. We didn't PUP him (would have already had to activate him by now). He wasn't IR designated to return. So we would have had to carry him active all season. And last week he was listed as inactive which requires that he was on the 53 to begin with.

Not understanding the question I guess.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I keep reading this title as "Phil Collins for Pope." My how the church has changed.

While there appear to be rules restrictions on how each player can be handled, Collins has not shown much. The fumble aside, it happens, his legs look like their filled with lead. Maybe the coaching staff sees some upside we don't, but he doesn't look like a pro running back to me. Maybe Pope isn't either, but I see little downside to getting him on the roster and giving him a few carries or returns. With Rawls, Michael and Procise being the 1, 2 and 3 RB's, if you have a roster spot for Pope I say go for it.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I have made it no secret, since preseason even, that I thought Troymaine Pope (The Pope), of all the RBs we had, outside of Rawls, was the one we needed to lock in. In all fairness Prosise hadn't been able to play until after The cuts at the end of preseason, and he has definitely proven himself to be a promising asset to the Seahawks.

In an ideal world we could retag one of the four of these RBs, and keep all of them on the team, and bring The Pope back up on the active list. If that just isn't possible and we have to decide who has to go, I'll shock a few folks and say Christian. I feel bad saying that because he had really stepped up to the task early on this year, but then began to fizzle out, and his numbers have reflected that decline.

If I'm forced to choose between Collin's and Pope, The Pope gets my vote, but I'd hate to loose Collins, because he shows a lot of promise and would compliment Pope given different running assignments, that complimented their running styles. Prosise brings another unique style to the RB position as well.

I would choose to keep Collins and Pope, and let Christin move on or move to the practice squad for awhile, and see if he can't regroup and get back on track there, if that option is at all possible.

I've left Rawls out of the mix because we know what he is capable of, if he can get himself back to where he was before the broken ankle last season. If he is in fact all healed up and ready to go he can put up results that will surpass the combined totals of any two of our other RBs combined.

However with that said, I'm a little concerned about Rawls durability as a RB. There is no denying his talent, committment, or determination, we have all witnessed it. If, however, his body can't hold up to the beating he will take as a NFL RB, and his bone and joint structure continues to plague and betray him, he may end up being the one of our RBs that needs to move out of that position assignment.

In summary, given what we have to choose from, i vote that we keep Thomas, Troymaine, Alex, Prosise, and let Christian find a new home somewhere else. Business is business and no one likes having to make these sort of decisions, but fact is one must go and only 4 can stay, to me, these 4 show the most promise, and will take us where we want to, the Super Bowl.

If one of the four remaining has to go to the practice squad, I vote Alex over Troymaine. Alex, of the two, needs more development to reach his full potential, whereas I believe Troymaine, while also a ways out from reaching his full potentiality, is ahead of the curve in his development, and because of his style and raw talent, will put up more yards and points than Alex can at present. My thoughts.

titan3131

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3t9sffsv said:
Why does one have to go to the PS?

Rawls is already on the 53 I believe. We didn't PUP him (would have already had to activate him by now). He wasn't IR designated to return. So we would have had to carry him active all season. And last week he was listed as inactive which requires that he was on the 53 to begin with.

Not understanding the question I guess.

You are correct. People are discussing something completely irrelevant...

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
This is true, but in reality when rawls comes back, I doubt they keep 4 RB's on the roster. I see 3 RB's, with 1 on the practice squad. I believe that is what we have always done. Right now with Rawls injured, but knowing he will come back, they kept him on the roster.

Ultimately when rawls returns, either pope or collins hits the practice squad and the other will be released if they continue with roster positions like they have in the past. Lynch, turbin, cmike and practice squad for example.. I should have explained this more succinctly.