Earl may have punctured Gronk's lung.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I question the validity of that report.

There's a few things that could have happened with that type of hit including lung injury but a punctured lung would at least partially deflate in most cases.

Lungs don't generally re-inflate with out an invasive procedure being done. Needle decompression or a "chest tube" being placed.
It would most likely get worse as the game went on.

If this is/was the case, it would be an amazing feat that he finished the game.
I'm not saying it would be impossible but it would be close to it. Fully functional lungs, two of them, is pretty important, especially for an athlete involved in competition.

Time will tell, and I don't doubt an injury but I do question the "punctured lung"

Maybe one of our real doctors could offer more insight.

chris98251

Reaction score
Do you think we will get an official ruling? The team Doctors on the filed were testing for a concussion, he said he had the wind knocked out of him, if they come back and say he officially has a punctured lung then the NFL will be all over the player safety issue again.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
chris98251":1diyiw48 said:
The team Doctors on the filed were testing for a concussion, he said he had the wind knocked out of him....
Wait, they checked him for a concussion? Are you sure? This is the Patriots we're talking about, right? They must have been checking for something else if they were even medical staff at all... :p (actually :( because I'm only half joking)

pmedic920

Reaction score
chris98251":2tnc8qxv said:
Do you think we will get an official ruling? The team Doctors on the filed were testing for a concussion, he said he had the wind knocked out of him, if they come back and say he officially has a punctured lung then the NFL will be all over the player safety issue again.

I have a little bit of trauma knowledge.
I've even had to do the emergency procedure to re-inflate lungs.

I'm 99.7% sure, in my own mind, that Gronk didn't suffer a lung puncture.

But yea, this has potential to open a new can of worms, if it holds true.

Hawks46

Reaction score
pmedic920":9nuf1zte said:
chris98251":9nuf1zte said:

Listening to the game on the radio tonight, Brady was on at halftime and said that he'd heard the same thing, but hadn't confirmed it and didn't know for sure.

That said, I'm with you pmedic. I don't know how it's humanly possible to have a punctured lung and not only finish the game, but finish it the way he did. He didn't just run out there for reps, he beat Shead and then had the strength to shove Chancellor down backwards.

I don't know if it's possible to have a punctured lung and not have it deflate. That's the only thing I can think of, is that the lung didn't deflate.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yeah, Lon nailed it.
On the radio tonight they were saying he didn't puncture a lung.

sutz

Reaction score
A punctured lung from a hit like that would almost have to involve cracked or broken ribs, I would think. What else would puncture the lung? I'd buy bruised, though.

In any event, I don't wish injury on any player, from any team. Hope he is alright.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
sutz":39qdbeir said:
A punctured lung from a hit like that would almost have to involve cracked or broken ribs, I would think. What else would puncture the lung? I'd buy bruised, though.

In any event, I don't wish injury on any player, from any team. Hope he is alright.

Totally agreed - I hope Gronk is OK, and I sincerely would not wish injury on any player, either. Mind you, there's been a (very) few dedicated, irrational, serial-offender, total thugs in Australian football who I could possibly damn. But I don't think the NFL has had any player notoriety in this bracket(?)

brimsalabim

Reaction score
So you are saying that the Patriots played with a deflated Gronk?

pmedic920

Reaction score
sutz":3aeog60w said:

Actually, blunt force trauma or a "deceleration" injury could cause a collapsed lung. This would cause or result in a pneumothorax (air in the chest). With enough kinetic energy, small tears in the tissue can happen, and this would mimic or really be the same as a punctured lung.
If the injury is severe enough, bleeding into the chest cavity happens. This is called Hemopneumothorax. More serious, and treatment can be a lot more complicated. The bleeding must be stopped, and may require major surgery.

Collapsed lung (with or without) an actual puncture?
The treatment for both would still be the same. Needle decompression and or "chest tube" placement. This would allow the "free" air in the chest cavity to escape (be removed), and in most cases the lung will re-inflate on its own.
We obviously have two lungs, one of them has 3 lobes, the other has 2. We can breath and survive with only one lung, many people do. People can survive with one lung collapsed or partially so but I don't see a high level athlete being able to perform in that situation.
This is a little more detail as to why I immediately questioned this report.

I like Gronk, and I'm glad he appears to be ok.

If y'all haven't seen it in slo mo, one angle shows lil ole Earl just about folding Gronk in half, almost like a lawn chair. It was a brutal hit, one that I'll remember for a long time. I'm fairly certain that Gronk will remember it as well.
I think it's safe to say, that hit effected Gronk's play later in the game, and I'm slightly surprised that ETIII wasn't injured as well.
Truly a hit for the ages.
The fact that it wasn't flagged, and even Gronk and the Pat's aren't claiming it was dirty, makes it even better.

I think the BOOM in LOB is back, and I couldn't be happier about it.

HawkGA

Reaction score
What Gronk thought was getting the wind knocked out of him was actually getting his soul knocked out of him.

Narniaman

Reaction score
As someone who's done lots of lung surgery, just a point of clarification about a "punctured lung". . . .

It is true that a punctured lung will result in a collapsed lung or "pneumothorax". . . .

if there are not any adhesions (scar tissue) in the pleural cavity.

If there are adhesions, they will prevent the lung from completely deflating.

If there are enough adhesions, the lung might not deflate at all.

If the lung is "punctured" . . . you may also have subcutaneous emphysema, or air just underneath the skin.

And as far as the lung being "punctured" -- it is possible for the lung to start leaking air spontaneously, if a "bleb" ruptures, without any broken ribs.

I suspect that if anything happened, he may have developed a small pneumothorax that had minimal impact on his breathing.

Boycie

Reaction score
Hawks46":3ebsp63v said:
pmedic920":3ebsp63v said:
chris98251":3ebsp63v said:

Listening to the game on the radio tonight, Brady was on at halftime and said that he'd heard the same thing, but hadn't confirmed it and didn't know for sure.

That said, I'm with you pmedic. I don't know how it's humanly possible to have a punctured lung and not only finish the game, but finish it the way he did. He didn't just run out there for reps, he beat Shead and then had the strength to shove Chancellor down backwards.

I don't know if it's possible to have a punctured lung and not have it deflate. That's the only thing I can think of, is that the lung didn't deflate.

Didn't Romo have a punctured lung in a game against the Niners a few years ago?