Bam Bam Kam

SpencerRW3

Reaction score
I just want to talk about Kam Chancellor a bit and how important he is to this defense. This is a thread of praise but by all means feel free to discuss anything about this defense and critiques. I just think this is an entirely different defense when he is on the field and may be the most important piece. I'm not saying he is the best player, but the most important. You can give that nod to ET or Sherman. But what he does in the final moments to actually WIN the games for us is incredible. Last season when he punched the ball out of Calvin Johnson's hand at the one yard line. Hopping over the FG unit 3 times in a row making those crazy athletic plays. And most recently, pulling Blount by the legs on the one yard line preventing a TD and covering Gronk on the Pats 4th down snap. Not to mention his physical presence adds a whole new element.

I know we all hated him for holding out last season and saying he doesnt deserve a pay raise, lets give that to Bennett instead, but man I just think were not the same defense without him. And my favorite player is KJ Wright so dont think im a big Chancellor homer

Giblien

Reaction score
I gotta agree. As much as I would have like our backups to come in and play lights out, there is a tremendous difference with him in a game and with him out. It's going to be expensive, but we're going to have to re-sign him. The question is: who goes? KJ?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

McGruff

Reaction score
Giblien":1cxow4qk said:
I gotta agree. As much as I would have like our backups to come in and play lights out, there is a tremendous difference with him in a game and with him out. It's going to be expensive, but we're going to have to re-sign him. The question is: who goes? KJ?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Nobody has to go. We've got a good amount of cap room next year, and Kam is already part of that.

The question is, is 10-12 games of Kam a year worth paying him an elite 16 game salary?

I say yes, but a case could be made the other way. He's irreplaceable, and not because he's 6'3 and 235 pounds. The problem is he's an unquestioned team leader who energizes the defense and is basically a coach on the field. You don't find that often . . .

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's starting to look like Kam not just embodies the physicality of our defense, but brings a lot of intangibles as well.

I'd love to see him end his career as a Seahawk, but he's starting to miss too many games. I don't mind as long as we have a solid backup (McCray, Powell), but I don't see the FO paying him what he wants if he misses 4-5 games a year.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Hawks46":1f61hf7u said:
It's starting to look like Kam not just embodies the physicality of our defense, but brings a lot of intangibles as well.

I'd love to see him end his career as a Seahawk, but he's starting to miss too many games. I don't mind as long as we have a solid backup (McCray, Powell), but I don't see the FO paying him what he wants if he misses 4-5 games a year.

Before this season how many games has Kam missed due to injury? And this was a groin so it wasn't because of his playing style (and my theory on the groin is that he did it practicing the FG block leap and that is why Wagner ended up doing it).

McGruff

Reaction score
andyh64000":1kwgmj6e said:
Hawks46":1kwgmj6e said:

Before this season how many games has Kam missed due to injury? And this was a groin so it wasn't because of his playing style (and my theory on the groin is that he did it practicing the FG block leap and that is why Wagner ended up doing it).

2 Games in 2014
6 Games in 2015 (2 holdout)
4 Games (so far) in 2016

Kam plays a physical games, perhaps more so than any player in the league. At the end of his current contract he's going to be 30 years old with 8 seasons (and a bunch of postseasons!) under his belt.

Like I said, I hope they keep him around a LONG time because even his impact on the sideline carries significant value, but that injury trajectory, combined with his age and playing style, would lead many to reasonably question the viability of a long term contract.

RussB

Reaction score
Hes the leader of the pack, all great teams have that guy and thats who Kam is.