Why is the Lateral dead?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I understand ball security.

But like on defensive forced fumble or int.. I've seen plenty opportunities where a player could lateral to another defender for more yards gained.

A great example is Sheads Int, had he lateralled to Thomas and Shead became a lead-blocker, Thomas would had great opportunity to make something happen in the open field. But i get the risk.

I've also seen plays where Seahawks RBs and WRs get bottled up and have a chance to lateral before the tackle to a player with open field.

It just doesn't happen anymore in today's NFL unless its on a last play, all or nothing situation.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you can read the play you can get to a lateral, the speed of guys now is amazing, now given that a guy can maybe get there you have a QB panicking and a RB's seeing him coming and it could become a fumbled lateral even if it gets there picked up for a quick six worst case or a big loss of yardage if you recover, lots of bad can happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I have no idea the stats, but it sure seems like a fumble or interception then lateraled to a teammate turns into a disaster and possible fumble more than it does something good happening.

Yes we used to see it much more in the old days, which I assume means the current players have been hammered on to never lateral and concentrate on ball security.

razor150

Reaction score
Laterals can work, if the guy knows you are about to give him the ball. If they don't, disaster can happen, and often did.

London12

Reaction score
I wonder this all the time. But then I was born and raised playing / watching rugby.

253hawk

Reaction score
GoodnaturedSparseGoitered.gif

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It can work, but you have to have a defense that practices that. If you don't expect the lateral it is more often ruinous.

I remember the 00-02 Bucs doing that a fair amount.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Laterals on defense after a fumble recovery or interception are rare because there's just no practicing them, no setting up the play to work. It surprises teammates as much as it works. And on offense, there's just too much room for a fumble, as opposing players are too close, and close too fast on the ball carrier.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pete lost a national title on a lateral attempt by Reggie Bush that was fumbled.

I doubt he's ever going to give anyone the greenlight to do that ever again. Huge risk of turning the ball over.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1b3g16ok said:
Pete lost a national title on a lateral attempt by Reggie Bush that was fumbled.

I doubt he's ever going to give anyone the greenlight to do that ever again. Huge risk of turning the ball over.
THIS!

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2139ag7t said:
DavidSeven":2139ag7t said:

THIS!

Pete lost a Super Bowl because he passed to a 5th level receiver on a inside slant also, think he will do that again?

sc85sis

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1obciz4b said:

Reggie's "lateral" was something he just did; it wasn't planned, as you could tell by the look of complete surprise on Brad Walker's face. It also wasn't really a lateral but an illegal forward pass. It should have been a 5-yard penalty with USC keeping the ball. That was confirmed by officials later on.

So yes, laterals are rife with potential issues, fumbling and/or going forward when not intended among them.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
sc85sis":1b69c1zo said:
Reggie's "lateral" was something he just did; it wasn't planned, as you could tell by the look of complete surprise on Brad Walker's face.

Right, but that's why I called it a lateral "attempt." That's clearly what Bush intended to do, and it was a disaster of epic proportions. Also, all of the scenarios that OP outlined above are of the impromptu variety, i.e., off a defensive turnover or when a runner is bottled up.

There are pitch plays, which are fine because they are carefully choreographed and generally take place in the backfield. But attempting a lateral in the open-field leaves you exposed to a number of bad consequences.