Swede on visit - What to do?

SwedeHawk

Reaction score
So... I will finally watch my first NFL game live, and of course it will be my favorite team playing at home. To watch the Seahawks live at CenturyLink Field has been a bucket list dream of mine for some time now, hence I am psyched! :D

I am flying in to Seattle from Sweden on the 14th of Dec, will watch the beating of the Rams (I hope) on the 15th and go back home to Sweden on the 16th, so in all essence I will focus on football, my only problem:
- I don't know much about watching the Seahawks live, tailgating or what happens post-game. :? Please, give me some advise/ pointers.

And one half-off-topic question: Should I stay at a hotel downtown or as close to the arena as possible? I mean, is it easy to go from downtown Seattle to the arena, and/or are most of the important activities in connection to the game downtown or in close premises of the arena?

Thank you in advance // The biggest Seahawks fan there is (in Sweden at least ) ;)

mikeak

Reaction score
I would stay downtown. It is easy to walk to the stadium especially for Europeans / city people used to walking. It is also part of the fun walking to the game and seeing all the bars and people wearing Seahawks colors

Seattle to do - Space Needle of course, if you like music: http://www.empmuseum.org/

If you like steak then go do Metropolitan grill or El Gaucho (El is my favorite). If not then lots of other good places to eat.

Buckley's in Belltown is a great place to eat and watch some sports. Westy's is even better but it is quite a bit out so would cost you $15 to get an Uber

Pretty sure you won't want to visit IKEA :)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
First of all awesome! Welcome and I'm so happy you got to come all this way to see the Hawks, should be an amazing experience.

As far as what to do and where to stay.............either area is fine. Downtown has some really cool hotels on or near the water, and it's just a short cab or Uber ride to the Stadium.

Or around the Clink is fine as well, might be nice to just walk over, but either option IMO is fine, just depends on what kind of deals you can find.

I tell everyone the same thing as far a what to do for their first game, wake up early, put on your Hawk gear, get to the Stadium area and just walk around hitting as many bars and team shops as you can on your way to the game. The atmosphere is fantastic just about everywhere, so you really can't go wrong. But definitely give yourself enough time to walk around and soak it all in.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
Wow, this is amazing. People thought I was crazy for flying in on Sunday for the Pats game and then flying home on Monday. You sir, have set the bar very high.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lsgk81n said:
First of all awesome! Welcome and I'm so happy you got to come all this way to see the Hawks, should be an amazing experience.

As far as what to do and where to stay.............either area is fine. Downtown has some really cool hotels on or near the water, and it's just a short cab or Uber ride to the Stadium.

Or around the Clink is fine as well, might be nice to just walk over, but either option IMO is fine, just depends on what kind of deals you can find.

I tell everyone the same thing as far a what to do for their first game, wake up early, put on your Hawk gear, get to the Stadium area and just walk around hitting as many bars and team shops as you can on your way to the game. The atmosphere is fantastic just about everywhere, so you really can't go wrong. But definitely give yourself enough time to walk around and soak it all in.

Along these lines, my brother and I always enjoy being in the stadium when the players come out to warm up. Drink beer, wander around the stadium and soak it all in. We also try to get to our seats about 20 mins prior to kick off so we can be sure to see the Hawk fly.

Also please tell how a Swede became a Seahawk fan.

OP
OP
S

SwedeHawk

Reaction score
Gr8, thanks for the replies on what to do...

I will then most likely stay Downtown and dedicate the 15th (from Lunch-ish) to walking around towards the arena, soak-in the atmosphere and be sure to get into the arena well in time to see the intro. It's a Thursday, so I guess many 12s have a job to take care of and hence won't be "warming up" too early in the morning. Or? When does the "tailgating" start on a week day (I read it’s on Utah Avenue)?

As to the Space Needle, I really want to see that as well since I'm not in Seattle too often, but it's secondary for me and football comes first. Hopefully I'll be able to do it on Wednesday. Gr8 with some tips on restaurants as well, a man's gotta' eat ;-)

As to how/ why I became a Seahawks fan: Well, it's difficult to say exactly why. It's one of those things where you start watching a sport and find yourself screaming in front of the TV only when a specific team are doing good or bad. I mean its not realy by choise, rather by heart and instinct. I guess it was some 10+ years ago, I started become verry frustrated when the Seahawks played bad and really happy when they did good. At least, thats how it started for me and now the love of the sport and the Seahawks is simply growing and growing.

Why I fly back and forth now is because I recently had my first child, and do realize that If I'm gonna see a game live it's now or in some 15+ years, unless I'll have more children and then it's 20+.
I’d say flying back and forth to Boston is a good effort as well. (Mikeak, you are more then welcome to join, I go Lufthansa via Frankfurt).

Again, thanks for the advice and comments!
Go Hawks and 12s (see ya'll on the 15th) // SweHawk

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
Ah! Welcome aboard! People will be so confused by our usernames now xD

Hur många Svenskar finns det här egentligen? Stort mörkertal? ;D

It seems like we even became fans around the same time, I discovered the NFL and the Hawks during the season that led to Super Bowl XL. I noticed how I really wanted Seahawks to win that game, and then I was stuck ;D It was really lonely to be a Seahawk fan in sweden during the 4-12 years... ;)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome! You are going to have an experience to last a lifetime. Enjoy our beautiful city! I hope to enjoy your beautiful country some day.

Largent80

Reaction score
Swedishhawkfan":2flet0tb said:

It seems like we even became fans around the same time, I discovered the NFL and the Hawks during the season that led to Super Bowl XL. I noticed how I really wanted Seahawks to win that game, and then I was stuck ;D It was really lonely to be a Seahawk fan in sweden during the 4-12 years... ;)

Hey bro, hows it going, haven't seen you post for a while.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk sleeper cell in Sweden, who'd a thunk it? Just goes to show you what a global sport the NFL is now. Awesome.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Yeah, watching the Seahawks play live is also something I want to do sometime in the future. Must be an amazing experience. Will have to finish college and find a job first before I can even start thinking about doing something like that though. Hope you appreciate it as much as you can.

PS. is it just me or is Swedish surprisingly easy to understand?

mikeak

Reaction score
SwedeHawk":59rdggk2 said:
I’d say flying back and forth to Boston is a good effort as well. (Mikeak, you are more then welcome to join, I go Lufthansa via Frankfurt).

Actually I am no longer in Sweden. I moved to the US 18 years ago and now call Alaska my home so I go down once a year to watch the Hawks!

But I have done the route via Frankfurt you can jump the pole in the summer using Condor so that isn't bad. Was just going to ask you what route you are taking since I may have to do an emergency trip back home

Go Hawks and Swedishhawkfan - I am counting 3 now

pmedic920

Reaction score
SwedeHawk":3bhvzzev said:
Gr8, thanks for the replies on what to do...

I will then most likely stay Downtown and dedicate the 15th (from Lunch-ish) to walking around towards the arena, soak-in the atmosphere and be sure to get into the arena well in time to see the intro. It's a Thursday, so I guess many 12s have a job to take care of and hence won't be "warming up" too early in the morning. Or? When does the "tailgating" start on a week day (I read it’s on Utah Avenue)?

As to the Space Needle, I really want to see that as well since I'm not in Seattle too often, but it's secondary for me and football comes first. Hopefully I'll be able to do it on Wednesday. Gr8 with some tips on restaurants as well, a man's gotta' eat ;-)

As to how/ why I became a Seahawks fan: Well, it's difficult to say exactly why. It's one of those things where you start watching a sport and find yourself screaming in front of the TV only when a specific team are doing good or bad. I mean its not realy by choise, rather by heart and instinct. I guess it was some 10+ years ago, I started become verry frustrated when the Seahawks played bad and really happy when they did good. At least, thats how it started for me and now the love of the sport and the Seahawks is simply growing and growing.

Why I fly back and forth now is because I recently had my first child, and do realize that If I'm gonna see a game live it's now or in some 15+ years, unless I'll have more children and then it's 20+.

Again, thanks for the advice and comments!
Go Hawks and 12s (see ya'll on the 15th) // SweHawk

You know, it's kind of a tradition to have your picture taken with a 12 flag in cool places.

If you have one, or can get one, we'd love to see some pix from over yonder.

Welcome aboard.
Here's a link to the hotel we always stay at.
It a historical building with modern rooms, the rates are great. 2 blocks from Pikes market. 15 min walk to space needle, 20 minutes or so to C-link. Also close to water front.
http://www.moorehotel.com

If you want to stay there, I'd book directly through them, not via a 3rd party.
Also be aware, they have some rooms that share a bathroom with other guests.
(European style)

Edit: also, it's a hidden gem, The Moore has an awesome little coffee shop. IMHO one of the best in that area of Seattle.

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
Largent80":12cwfe8n said:
Swedishhawkfan":12cwfe8n said:

Hey bro, hows it going, haven't seen you post for a while.

Hey man! Im great! Im currently doing exchange studies in Prague which is awesome ;) Yeah I spend most of my creatve energy on school projects, so i mostly post short poor quality posts in the gameday forum nowadays ;) But I still read most of the threads!

How about you? :irishdrinkers:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'm flying over today for a few days too -- anyone got any suggestions for restaurants in downtown?

mikeak

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1aw9wyn2 said:
I'm flying over today for a few days too -- anyone got any suggestions for restaurants in downtown?

See my post a few up for steakhouse or sports bar

All depends on what you like to eat

Yoonhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3mu6z1l8 said:
SwedeHawk":3mu6z1l8 said:

Actually I am no longer in Sweden. I moved to the US 18 years ago and now call Alaska my home so I go down once a year to watch the Hawks!

But I have done the route via Frankfurt you can jump the pole in the summer using Condor so that isn't bad. Was just going to ask you what route you are taking since I may have to do an emergency trip back home

Go Hawks and Swedishhawkfan - I am counting 3 now

Don't leave me out. ;)

Born in Sweden, but grew up in Seattle. Everyone in my immediately family (all Swedes) are big Hawks fans, and we've converted some of our relatives that currently live in Sweden. I also know a well-known Swedish musician (Christian Kjellvander) who is a huge Seahawks fan, and he always flies the 12 flag on his farm outside of Stockholm.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Anywhere in the downtown area is within walking distance to the stadium, especially for Europeans who are used to walking much more than Americans are anyway. Whenever I visited from elsewhere, I usually stayed toward the north part of the downtown area, usually near the Space Needle. You can find some decent quality hotels for cheaper there, or at least you could.

As far as food goes, there's a ton of great restaurants in and around Seattle. Whatever you want, or can't find easily in your home country, they probably have it there.

Tailgating isn't much of a thing in Seattle, but you might find a .NET'er or two hanging out in Temple Billiards before the game. Isn't what it used to be, but I hear we're making a comeback there, isn't that right, Todd?

Enjoy your stay, and plan on losing your voice for the next few days. You're not doing a Seahawks game right unless you can't speak for days afterward!