Hype - Best 2 NFL teams play in Seattle on Sunday, per DVOA

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
From Football Outsiders:

which means that Sunday's Philadelphia at Seattle game presents us with the rare contest between the top two teams in DVOA. The Seahawks have something going for them that even the Eagles don't: after their offensive showing against the Patriots, they actually now kind of qualify as a balanced team. The Seahawks are 11th on offense, fifth on defense, and 13th on special teams. Only one other team ranks in the top half of the league in all three categories...

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings

betta' get your popcorn ready

Bill Hader Eating Popcorn Smiling SNL

knownone

Reaction score
As a longtime fan of both teams, I'm a little surprised the Eagles are that highly rated. They have a solid defense and massively inconsistent offense. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a blowout for Seattle.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Most seasoned veteran QB's have a difficult time playing here. A rookie coming in here with an average WR core and a sketchy run game might just pass out a bunch of game balls to our defense.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2bgzch9s said:
Most seasoned veteran QB's have a difficult time playing here. A rookie coming in here with an average WR core and a sketchy run game might just pass out a bunch of game balls to our defense.

I keep waiting for our "turnover" game....perhaps, this is it?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Should be proof that DVOA is bs even if it favors us usually. No way the Eagles are the best team in football now in any possible way.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I once googled what dvoa was but accidentally typed dvda instead. Note to others please do not replicate that mistake unless you want your eyes to water.

NINEster

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":15rt9axd said:

That could be true, but I think with that Eagles defense they can put Wentz in game manager mode and grind it to a 10-9 game trailing into the 4th.

NINEster

Reaction score
Overseasfan":29y41lgo said:
Should be proof that DVOA is bs even if it favors us usually. No way the Eagles are the best team in football now in any possible way.

The way they took down the Vikings was impressive.

Nobody expected that, and that surely contributed to the fall the Vikings have had since.

They are top 5 NFC team for sure.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Eagles special teams and defense have been carrying them thus far. Wentz looked decent in the first few wins then once teams had tape on him they spiraled a bit. Very check down heavy, lots of quick hitters to Sproles. LBs are gonna have to play well in coverage.

Jordan Matthews plays in the slot and can make some good plays but is soft as hell. I think one or two crossing routes met by Kam or Earl would have him slowing up the rest of the game. Ultimately, need to make sure ST doesn't give up big plays or let their defense score which they can do.

253hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":mzcxmekv said:
The eagles are in last place in their division.

And yet they're #1 in DVOA and the only team in the NFL to score at least 20 points in every game. Weird.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Philly is a solid team, with a real good defense. And Sproles is a big time threat. Should be a great game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
knownone":1gs4i7kh said:
As a longtime fan of both teams, I'm a little surprised the Eagles are that highly rated. They have a solid defense and massively inconsistent offense. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a blowout for Seattle.

I sure as hell would be. The Seahawks have played only three other teams with a top-ten DVOA defense. They've scored 21 points in those three games combined.

The Eagles are a far better defense than any of those.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Googled dvda, now I know what brian boitano would do. I didn't know Parker and Stone had a band, good accidental find.

Alexander

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3i9xohov said:

They have the third highest point differential in the league (+66, versus +35 for the Hawks).

All of their losses have been by a touchdown or less.

Their defense held the Steelers to 3 (!!) points and the Falcons to 15 points.

Although he's struggled of late, Carson Wentz started out very well, prompting everyone to LOL at the Rams and Browns for not drafting him.

All of the opponents they've faced, except Chicago, currently have a winning record.

Their special teams have been incredible.

The Eagles are a VERY good team. You can quibble with whether or not they're "the best" team, but the fact that DVOA rates them very highly should not make you question DVOA, it should make you question your prejudice about the Eagles. They have good/great players at each level of the defense, and their DL in particular is no joke. This will NOT be an easy game. People should not be surprised if the Hawks' offensive revival hits a speed bump this week.

OP
OP
seatownlowdown

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Alexander":1v5fejeq said:
Overseasfan":1v5fejeq said:

They have the third highest point differential in the league (+66, versus +35 for the Hawks).

All of their losses have been by a touchdown or less.

Their defense held the Steelers to 3 (!!) points and the Falcons to 15 points.

Although he's struggled of late, Carson Wentz started out very well, prompting everyone to LOL at the Rams and Browns for not drafting him.

All of the opponents they've faced, except Chicago, currently have a winning record.

Their special teams have been incredible.

The Eagles are a VERY good team. You can quibble with whether or not they're "the best" team, but the fact that DVOA rates them very highly should not make you question DVOA, it should make you question your prejudice about the Eagles. They have good/great players at each level of the defense, and their DL in particular is no joke. This will NOT be an easy game. People should not be surprised if the Hawks' offensive revival hits a speed bump this week.

all very good points.

eagles are a dangerous team who has played better than their w-l record would indicate. their dline vs our oline is something to keep an eye on this game. hopefully bevell isnt so quick to assume that our oline is "better" now after last games performance and will stick with quick strikes / blitz counters / running game / play-action. probably a low scoring affair, id say hawks win 17-13

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2lzmjunp said:

A very-good DL, but offense has very simple plays dialed up, and QB who's coached to 'take what it is given.' Sounds eerily similar to what the Rams do against us twice a year. I hate that crap, because Pete dumbs the offense down so he can have a puff-out-your-chest defensive battle. He needs to get more aggressive on offense against these low-production turds rather then leaving them within striking distance or slightly ahead, and counting on outlasting them.