Could Carolina SNF game get flexed out?

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Opinions?

Announcement will need to come next Tuesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... s-to-make/
WEEK 13

Scheduled Sunday night game: Panthers at Seahawks.

Flex possibilities (if not protected): Chiefs at Falcons (CBS), Eagles at Bengals (Fox), Giants at Steelers (Fox), Redskins at Cardinals (Fox).

Chances it gets flexed out: A little hazy. Atlanta-Kansas City is the obvious choice in terms of game quality here if the NFL makes a move, and CBS may have left that one vulnerable with a Packers-Texans game on its afternoon schedule. Giants-Steelers would have a certain pedigree that the networks like, too (though New York is in the Sunday night game in Week 14 and the league almost certainly isn’t going to change that). Or the league could stand pat and hope that the Panthers stay competitive by beating the Saints and the Raiders in the next two weeks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Was just talking about this on Sunday, seems like it would be a very good candidate to get flexed to an afternoon game.

Optimus25

Reaction score
They're already flexing the chiefs in week 12 so no way they will do that twice for one team.

I think we stay because it's rematch of playoffs with 2 star qbs.

Cartire

Reaction score
I cant see the hype for KC@ATL though. While both teams arent bad, they just dont have that big of a national draw. On top of which, because they dont have a huge draw, out of conference also makes it a weaker matchup.

There are still storylines with Panters/Hawks that im sure the national media could exploit. I do agree that CAR probably needs to win this weekend though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love the night games on Sunday. Can get in a full Red Zone viewing of all the early games before heading down to the stadium.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If Panthers win this week I think it remains SNF. Even if they lose I could see them keeping it for reasons stated.

OP
OP
Hawkfish

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Fox is protecting NYG/Pitt game so that is off the table, CBS hasn't announced their protected game yet. If they protect KC/ATL, we will stay on SNF, IMO.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Stupid question, Have they not in the past jumped a morning game to evening flex? I would say that they could probably do that to the raider game. That would wrinkle the situation too. Even if they wrinkled it to the afternoon, that would kink the afternoon line up to the evening.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
IMO it will stay barring the panthers being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, which I don't think can happen by then.

If the Falcons had run away with it when they had the chance it would make more sense. But they could easily lose their next 2-3 games and it wouldn't be a surprise.

Cam Newton still sells ads and brings in viewers. They have a rich history of good games between the two to hype it up.

I'd put the chances of it being flexed very low barring losses by both teams this weekend and wins by the Falcons and Chiefs to make that matchup more enticing. It WOULD be fun to watch that chiefs secondary go up against Julio, but I think Kam vs. Cam is a bigger sell now that the falcons are fading.

it's also worth noting that the NFL wants good games in all slots; flexing is about making sure the sunday night game is a good one since it's prime time and the only game on. People tend to think it *always* has to be the premier match up but the NFL wants great games in all time slots and isn't going to go through the headache of changing it just because one game is *slightly* more appealing.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't think they'll flex it.

Carolina has a good enough front 7 that they will keep it close. They still have a good enough roster that if they play really well, they have a pretty good chance of winning.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawknballs":bv2b1h82 said:
IMO it will stay barring the panthers being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, which I don't think can happen by then.

If the Falcons had run away with it when they had the chance it would make more sense. But they could easily lose their next 2-3 games and it wouldn't be a surprise.

Cam Newton still sells ads and brings in viewers. They have a rich history of good games between the two to hype it up.

I'd put the chances of it being flexed very low barring losses by both teams this weekend and wins by the Falcons and Chiefs to make that matchup more enticing. It WOULD be fun to watch that chiefs secondary go up against Julio, but I think Kam vs. Cam is a bigger sell now that the falcons are fading.

it's also worth noting that the NFL wants good games in all slots; flexing is about making sure the sunday night game is a good one since it's prime time and the only game on. People tend to think it *always* has to be the premier match up but the NFL wants great games in all time slots and isn't going to go through the headache of changing it just because one game is *slightly* more appealing.

Towel Sales have been up since his entry into the NFL..... :sarcasm_off:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2v3lizv7 said:
I hope it does. It sucks staying awake until midnight watching a night game

Do you think that may have helped us win in your timezone?? Just a question sir.

AVL

Reaction score
Hope not. I look at the late games as a big advantage, reverse of the disadvantages of the early games and then some.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I need to start supporting a team that doesn't appear on primetime as much. It's killing me and I'm sure about 27 people have died at the hospital I work at due to me being knackered.

Who is on primetime the least these days? Time to be a Titans fan probably. Go Oilers!

Storts

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1q31m6fq said:
I need to start supporting a team that doesn't appear on primetime as much. It's killing me and I'm sure about 27 people have died at the hospital I work at due to me being knackered.

Who is on primetime the least these days? Time to be a Titans fan probably. Go Oilers!

Was thinking the same, these nights of 1-2 hours sleep are killing me :D