Tom Cable speaks to tackle positions ... ya all best listen

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/799049004008947712[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/799049137790455808[/tweet]

Edit:
Watch and listen here >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2016/11/16/tom-cable-week-11-press-conference[/urltargetblank]
Listen only here >>>> [urltargetblank]http://prod.video.seahawks.clubs.nfl.com/SEA/videos/dct/video_audio/2016/11-November/161116-cable-32k.mp3[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
A link to the press conference would probably help ..... silly me.

Link to Tom Cable Press Conference >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2016/11/16/tom-cable-week-11-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

Once again Tom credits Co-Director of Player Personnel Trent Kirchner with identifying George Fant.

I like Cable's lexicon ......... "dark creases". I guess we now have a group of running backs that can find those dark creases. Interesting that Cable identified Pope as having possibly the best eyes for seeing the field for how we run the football.

bighawk

Reaction score
I am glad that he is making changes that were clearly needed. Fant earned the job and make Gilliam fight for his job.

Mick063

Reaction score
Great News.

Fant and Ifedi in the same year. Just need continuity for a while.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I am very, very optimistic about the future of this line with Britt, Ifedi, Glow, and especially Fant.

bighawk

Reaction score
It is clear to me that this front office has an eye for talent but it is up to Cable to get the best out of them.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Mick063":1f83dgmm said:
Great News.

Fant and Ifedi in the same year. Just need continuity for a while.

Yeah I am all for letting Fant - Glow - Britt - Ifedi start to gel. We fix that RT spot in the offseason and look for competition for the other spots and this line might turn into something decent yet.

McGruff

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2jy0p0rt said:
I am very, very optimistic about the future of this line with Britt, Ifedi, Glow, and especially Fant.

We came into this season with serious questions at 4 out of 5 positions. The one "solid" was Gilliam.

We are looking to be leaving this season with answers at 4 out of 5 positions. The one question is Gilliam.

Funny how things "work out."

hawk45

Reaction score
Fant could end up just like Gilliam, who was a raw athlete whose profile was what they look for on the edge.
Now to my eyes Fant isn't getting owned on every play. He is allowing numerous hurries and sacks and with that is still better than sowell.
But I'd think we'd have learned by now that OL growth isn't linear, and that we shouldn't be talking about anything as set after one single game when we could rush the ball a little and a pass rush that at times dropped everyone back.
This team had a great win and I can't complain about how it is setting up, but the OL is still where it could all fall apart and that's going to be a lingering doubt the entire season and into the playoffs.
If we are able to operate at all against a Carolina or AZ or LA down the road, then we can consider it solved.
As far as the OP yeah it's a positive development. Wish they could evaluate and get a little closer to this kind of decision before half the season was gone, it was the same with admitting the Nowak thing, but whatever.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jville":unv6wht7 said:
"dark creases". I guess we now have a group of running backs that can find those dark creases. Interesting that Cable identified Pope as having possibly the best eyes for seeing the field for how we run the football.

I think it was Thomas Rawls who took the lid off that industrial sized drum of whoop-ass last year, I also agree that Troymaine Pope showed a special knack at breeching those same "dark creases", as both these guys were getting through lines that seemed to defy the norm....Vision, Instincts, presence of mind, or whatever you want to call it, these guys are gifted. :irishdrinkers:
Wilson's ability to scramble when needed, and now a RB/WR like Prosise :stirthepot:
All we need now, is for Bevell to take advantage of all the weapons at his disposal, and make play-calls accordingly.

chris98251

Reaction score
scutterhawk":325r424d said:
Jville":325r424d said:
"dark creases". I guess we now have a group of running backs that can find those dark creases. Interesting that Cable identified Pope as having possibly the best eyes for seeing the field for how we run the football.

I think it was Thomas Rawls who took the lid off that industrial sized drum of whoop-ass last year, I also agree that Troymaine Pope showed a special knack at breeching those same "dark creases", as both these guys were getting through lines that seemed to defy the norm....Vision, Instincts, presence of mind, or whatever you want to call it, these guys are gifted. :irishdrinkers:
Wilson's ability to scramble when needed, and now a RB/WR like Prosise :stirthepot:
All we need now, is for Bevell to take advantage of all the weapons at his disposal, and make play-calls accordingly.

And you were doing so well up to this point.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Jville":1cixy3e0 said:

Link to Tom Cable Press Conference >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2016/11/16/tom-cable-week-11-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

Once again Tom credits Co-Director of Player Personnel Trent Kirchner with identifying George Fant.

I like Cable's lexicon ......... "dark creases". I guess we now have a group of running backs that can find those dark creases. Interesting that Cable identified Pope as having possibly the best eyes for seeing the field for how we run the football.
So maybe Kirchner should make those calls from here on out instead of Cable? Also if Cable believes Pope is the best fit
for our system then why the heck did we cut him and keep everyone else at the position originally? What was the thought process and why didn't anyone ask a follow up question to that effect?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
brimsalabim":20fu3fdd said:
Jville":20fu3fdd said:

So maybe Kirchner should make those calls from here on out instead of Cable? Also if Cable believes Pope is the best fit
for our system then why the heck did we cut him and keep everyone else at the position originally? What was the thought process and why didn't anyone ask a follow up question to that effect?

As I recall, after the last draft pick was chosen on the third day of the draft, Kirchner was over heard asking Cable which guy he like .... i.e. wanted in free agency. George Fant was the guy Cable committed to developing.

With regards to Pope, Pete Carroll divulged, that with a limited number of roster spots, they opted to gamble on Pope by trying to sneak him onto the practice squad. They lost that bet. As much talent as they recruit to Seattle, I would assume that happens more frequently than we fans realize.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
By the way, the George Fant story has the potential to become one of the NFL's biggest stories for 2016. It is the kind of story that makes legends out of coaches.

canfan

Reaction score
Jville":2xih5bzi said:
By the way, the George Fant story has the potential to become one of the NFL's biggest stories for 2016. It is the kind of story that makes legends out of coaches.

That would require buy in from a national media that has made the O line the basis of a whole narrative devoted to how short sighted the Seahawks are to not devote any resources to the line - completely focusing on the Cap number and ignoring the draft capital spent here over the last 5 years. This only becomes a national story if the Seahawks make the Super Bowl and the national hacks run out of story lines

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
canfan":3vkh03j0 said:
Jville":3vkh03j0 said:

That would require buy in from a national media that has made the O line the basis of a whole narrative devoted to how short sighted the Seahawks are to not devote any resources to the line - completely focusing on the Cap number and ignoring the draft capital spent here over the last 5 years. This only becomes a national story if the Seahawks make the Super Bowl and the national hacks run out of story lines

True .... true ..... and the vested media does have a rather long and painful history of trying to play catch up with meaningful events.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3uvj2z54 said:
I think a lot of us here saw this coming.

I didn't even remotely see a UDFA who hasn't started a game since 8th grade becoming a starting left tackle in the NFL, actually. ;)

1 sack, 2 hits and some pressures given up against the Bills, a few more against the Cardinals...Fant is not yet a net improvement from Sowell, he just gets a pass because he's an unknown quantity. BUT...he's better at run blocking, and showing some promise. I guess Cable knows best.

I do think the Eagles will shred him magnificently, though. Growing pains.

But...he has tenacity, he has work ethic, and he has spunk. That will last him a long way, and is covering up some of his flaws even now. Buckle up.