Special Teams

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
SO what is everyone's take on them this season. We have had more blocked kicks than I care for. This worries me some. The clocked extra point in New England could have been real bad. We could have gone for one instead of 2 on last TD to make a two score lead and rest easier. Our return game is getting back on track with Tyler Locket getting healthy. I have not paid much attention but how are we doing on the kick coverage. This will prove more important against the Rams when we play.

sutz

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3ckys40q said:
SO what is everyone's take on them this season. We have had more blocked kicks than I care for. This worries me some. The clocked extra point in New England could have been real bad. We could have gone for one instead of 2 on last TD to make a two score lead and rest easier. Our return game is getting back on track with Tyler Locket getting healthy. I have not paid much attention but how are we doing on the kick coverage. This will prove more important against the Rams when we play.
If we go for one on the last TD, we are up by 8, which is a TD and 2 pt conversion from tying. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

Lockett looks like he's getting his legs and his quicks back. Has had numerous positive returns lately and has broken at least one long one. Liking that. Apparently the blocking is also improving without the normal increase in penalties. Overall the return game looks much better IMHO than it did in Sep/Oct.

Kicking game is still a bit of a question. For the "bring back Gresham" crowd, I guess that ship has sailed. :229031_shrug: I think snaps have been better the last few games. I still get a bit tight in the throat when the kicking team goes out there TBH.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":351sc1jm said:
Year of The Hawk":351sc1jm said:
If we go for one on the last TD, we are up by 8, which is a TD and 2 pt conversion from tying. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

Lockett looks like he's getting his legs and his quicks back. Has had numerous positive returns lately and has broken at least one long one. Liking that. Apparently the blocking is also improving without the normal increase in penalties. Overall the return game looks much better IMHO than it did in Sep/Oct.

Kicking game is still a bit of a question. For the "bring back Gresham" crowd, I guess that ship has sailed. :229031_shrug: I think snaps have been better the last few games. I still get a bit tight in the throat when the kicking team goes out there TBH.

I was not referring to the 2 point conversion if we should or should not have. I was making a point on how if we did not have an extra point blocked in that game we would have never been in that situation. If we keep getting blocked it will cost us at some point.

Largent80

Reaction score
Overall, our ST units seem to have improved as the season has gone on in spite of missed and blocked kicks. We have some rookies making good contributions.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Seems like our blocking up front has been the issue. Coyle missed a block against, what, Buffalo that cost us?

Teams have been blowing up the gap between the snapper and the guy to his left/right.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Both OGs are rookies at their positions even though Glowinski is in his 2nd season. Both have to be better at protection epecially 'A gap' protection. Our OTs and edge blockers are also at fault in that regard to allow free rushers. There seems to be some disconnect on kick attempts on the blocking from time to time and in those cases the D is getting penetration with their hands up. When it stops Hauschka will stop having the blocks. Mis-aimed snaps and late sets are also creating troubles for him. I think these issues will eventually be solved.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Other than some issues with long snapping and Ryan having some issues, it's been good.........especially now that Lockett is healthy.

classicaaron

Reaction score
ive had the worst feeling in the world that a blocked or missed extra point or chip shot field goal is going to cost us a playoff game or superbowl this year. ive had this gut feeling since the preseason so I really hope im wrong but something needs to majorly improve.

other than that I think the return game is rather good and getting better every week and I think the coverage unit has been excellent

Jville

Reaction score
Congratulations to former Seahawk Chris Maragos ... well done.
492341994-e1479421894434.jpg

The Eagles and key special teams player Chris Maragos have agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension.

[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/17/eagles-extend-special-teams-player-maragos/[/urltargetblank]
“From the first day he set foot in the city of Philadelphia in 2014, Chris Maragos has represented our organization at the highest level on and off the field," said Howie Roseman. "His work ethic, team-first attitude, accountability and high character are things he brings to work every single day. And he happens to be one of the best special teams players in the NFL and we’re excited to be able to extend his contract.”
[urltargetblank]http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/11/17/13672024/philadelphia-eagles-chris-maragos-three-year-extension[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":364yc980 said:
Both OGs are rookies at their positions even though Glowinski is in his 2nd season. Both have to be better at protection epecially 'A gap' protection. Our OTs and edge blockers are also at fault in that regard to allow free rushers. There seems to be some disconnect on kick attempts on the blocking from time to time and in those cases the D is getting penetration with their hands up. When it stops Hauschka will stop having the blocks. Mis-aimed snaps and late sets are also creating troubles for him. I think these issues will eventually be solved.

This is kind of what I was looking for. Thanks. I think the big question if and when we get it straightened out. It hurt us in Arizona so far and almost cost us in New England and Miami but we prevailed in those two.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Not that great... but certainly better than the Saints. lol

Seriously, with the one-point extra point being moved out to the 15-yard line, I believe that more ST coaching attention is being applied league-wide on defending FGs and XPs.

More attention = More blocked kicks.

sutz

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":yev7oq63 said:
Not that great... but certainly better than the Saints. lol

Seriously, with the one-point extra point being moved out to the 15-yard line, I believe that more ST coaching attention is being applied league-wide on defending FGs and XPs.

More attention = More blocked kicks.
Especially when you can run back a blocked XP for a safety. ;)