Seahawks Running Backs Alex Collins and George Farmer Ready

Jville

Reaction score
To a pessimist, losing two running backs to injury in last week’s game is cause for serious concern. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, however, is not a pessimist. Far from it, in fact. So while Carroll would love to have C.J. Prosise and Troymaine Pope available to his team this week, rather than dwell on what his team is missing, the always-optimistic Carroll is instead excited about what he might see from running backs Alex Collins and George Farmer.

Seahawks Running Backs Alex Collins and George Farmer Ready for Their Opportunity >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/11/26/seahawks-running-backs-alex-collins-and-george-farmer-ready-their-opportunity[/urltargetblank]

“Alex has worked really hard to get in shape,” Carroll said. “He’s kind of reconditioned himself. He looks much better than he did in the offseason when we were getting ready and even in camp. I think he’s found a new level of conditioning that really suits him well, he looks quick and explosive. He’s practiced great for a long time. I visited with him (Wednesday) reminding him that this is a great opportunity for him and that he has worked really hard for it. He’s ready and he’s prepared. He can play all facets of the game for us, he can play in first, second, third down, all that stuff. Run all the routes we need to run, all of that. He’s done a really nice job in preparation… It’s his time, it’s his opportunity.”

“George has been my special project for some time now,” Carroll said. “He’s played a few different positions, and that’s because he’s such a talented athlete. He’s a really good competitor. He has a good mind for it, he’s handled the things that we’ve done with him. All along, when we drafted C.J. (Prosise), we looked at him and said George can do the same things that he could do. We’ll see if that works out. We really like the player, and I think you’re going to see he has a lot of versatility.”

Big day in Tampa Bay for these two, :2thumbs:

cymatica

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if collins comes in and looks at least decent. The injuries to the rb's might turn out to be a blessing in disguise come playoffs, if he can turn the corner.

RW92

Reaction score
cymatica":2ryf9x5f said:
Wouldn't it be great if collins comes in and looks at least decent. The injuries to the rb's might turn out to be a blessing in disguise come playoffs, if he can turn the corner.

Let's see if he lives up to the decision of getting rid of C.Mike. I still find it difficult to see how he was better. I hope I'm proven wrong. In the short of things I just wabt to get through this win without any further injuries.

ACFan

Reaction score
cymatica":6nly5803 said:
Wouldn't it be great if collins comes in and looks at least decent.

If his quick step is back, and he gets carries, he could look more than decent.

If he doesn't look great tomorrow, I should probably go back and delete every post I've made since May.

Looking for a big showing from AC.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I don't think there is any doubt that they did the right thing loosing Christine Michael. Running Back careers are the shortest in the NFL, statistically, and just the plain truth of it, Christine's is all but over. It was time to make room for the next bunch of Running Backs and we had decent bunch on their way up.

Alex Collins is a youngster, making the jump from College to the NFL is a leap, some make it faster than others. Collins is certainly loaded with talent, he has the skills, and he's no dummy. His college play showed that. He has been working his ass off, well over and above the drills that the rest of the team goes through, loosing weight, gaining speed, building his durability in general.

I think Pete and the scouts saw some real promise in Collins, he actually plays a lot like Marshawn, if you watch him closely. It's taking him a little bit longer than some to transition from the College play to the NFL, but he has figured out that he can't cut the mustard doing what he was doing to compete in College. He has had to step it up a notch and get with it or get lost.

While I didn't agree with sending Collins back down to PS, thinking we should keep all 4 of our RB's active, it may have been a good thing. A definite wake up call that he had better get serious and in a damn hurry or he was going to find himself packing his bags and looking for a new home.

This is his shot and earning himself a real place on the Seahawk roster, I hope he makes the most of it and shows us all that he is all that they thought he would be when they picked him to come to Seattle.

As for Farmer, I'm not too excited about him, maybe he'll surprise me. I just view him as a good athlete, pretty good at a lot of different positions, but not great at any of them. If we play him, and if Rawls is doing good and Alex is finally clicking on all 8, we may not see Farmer on the field too much. If we do, he knows the playbook, and I hope he does enough to keep their defense honest, and opens things up enough that Russell can hook up with anyone of our receivers, so that part of our game is clicking too.

ACFan

Reaction score
pacific101":2ba22io5 said:
I don't think there is any doubt that they did the right thing loosing Christine Michael. Running Back careers are the shortest in the NFL, statistically, and just the plain truth of it, Christine's is all but over. It was time to make room for the next bunch of Running Backs and we had decent bunch on their way up.

Alex Collins is a youngster, making the jump from College to the NFL is a leap, some make it faster than others. Collins is certainly loaded with talent, he has the skills, and he's no dummy. His college play showed that. He has been working his ass off, well over and above the drills that the rest of the team goes through, loosing weight, gaining speed, building his durability in general.

I think Pete and the scouts saw some real promise in Collins, he actually plays a lot like Marshawn, if you watch him closely. It's taking him a little bit longer than some to transition from the College play to the NFL, but he has figured out that he can't cut the mustard doing what he was doing to compete in College. He has had to step it up a notch and get with it or get lost.

While I didn't agree with sending Collins back down to PS, thinking we should keep all 4 of our RB's active, it may have been a good thing. A definite wake up call that he had better get serious and in a damn hurry or he was going to find himself packing his bags and looking for a new home.

This is his shot and earning himself a real place on the Seahawk roster, I hope he makes the most of it and shows us all that he is all that they thought he would be when they picked him to come to Seattle.

As for Farmer, I'm not too excited about him, maybe he'll surprise me. I just view him as a good athlete, pretty good at a lot of different positions, but not great at any of them. If we play him, and if Rawls is doing good and Alex is finally clicking on all 8, we may not see Farmer on the field too much. If we do, he knows the playbook, and I hope he does enough to keep their defense honest, and opens things up enough that Russell can hook up with anyone of our receivers, so that part of our game is clicking too.

good post.

I wouldn't be that surprised if AC wasn't in as good a shape to start the year as he was at last year's end at Arkansas.

AC has good character, but he will get complacent and a little lazy if not being motivated, happened a few times at Arkansas. But he takes to coaching very well.

Sounds like that is what happened here a while back and he's responded to the coaching well. Hearing CPC's comments is encouraging.

He's played more RB than anyone on the roster (college + pro carries), and held up to it far better, not missing a game in 5 years.

complete back.

chet380

Reaction score
pacific101":bfypbpfy said:
This is utter BS!

CM was the leading rusher with a decent YPC and AC has never shown anything except plodding; I still remember the posts during the pre-season howling in outrage as to why Farmer was getting carries.

PC/JS gambled that Prosise and Pope wouldn't get injured and lost -- there is little doubt that they wouldn't love to have CM available now.

CM gave his all playing here and I hope he has an outstanding showing with G Bay.

HawkerD

Reaction score
pacific101":232x1zrv said:

A long post doesn't necessarily mean it's a good post. You say the Christian Michael's career is just about over but really he has so few carries it's like he's a rookie himself. You talk about how much work Collins has been putting in practice. How do you know that? Are you on staff at the VMAC?

And you just don't put somebody down on the practice squad. They have to clear waivers before they get to the practice squad. Only ACFan would find this a good post

If Collins averages > 4 yds/carry I'll be back to eat my crow.

Any comparison to Beastmode is bullshit. Unless you are talking dreads.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
As Fant has seeked out Jones as a mentor, so should AC seek out Lynch as a mentor.

Right now it's what it is, we have Rawls as the only back with experience and we all sit on pins and needles that he holds up.
We have AC who we really don't know anything about, but is so unimpressive that he was designated inactive in favor of a UDFA who has had but a fraction of experience than AC.

and.. we have Farmer, who the Head coach deemed better at a different position.

There you go.. the Hell in a hand basket running attack.

Smellyman

Reaction score
chet380":z7ewu9wi said:
pacific101":z7ewu9wi said:
This is utter BS!

CM was the leading rusher with a decent YPC and AC has never shown anything except plodding; I still remember the posts during the pre-season howling in outrage as to why Farmer was getting carries.

PC/JS gambled that Prosise and Pope wouldn't get injured and lost -- there is little doubt that they wouldn't love to have CM available now.

CM gave his all playing here and I hope he has an outstanding showing with G Bay.

don't forget knucklehead, didn't know the plays, didn't know where the sticks were and trips over his own feet constantly.

And this will be his 4th team in a year.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Weird thing about it, is he could be a L Bell type runner if he was a little patient. Of course, PC wants the hit the hole hard and fast, but the feet... the fricken feet get tangled sp easy.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ACFan":1aw6upzn said:
cymatica":1aw6upzn said:
Wouldn't it be great if collins comes in and looks at least decent.

If his quick step is back, and he gets carries, he could look more than decent.

If he doesn't look great tomorrow, I should probably go back and delete every post I've made since May.

Looking for a big showing from AC.
I agree although I hope AC comes through I have not been one of his supporters..I will be happy to eat crow if I'm proven wrong.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Jville":39o5d5sd said:
To a pessimist, losing two running backs to injury in last week’s game is cause for serious concern. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, however, is not a pessimist. Far from it, in fact. So while Carroll would love to have C.J. Prosise and Troymaine Pope available to his team this week, rather than dwell on what his team is missing, the always-optimistic Carroll is instead excited about what he might see from running backs Alex Collins and George Farmer.

Seahawks Running Backs Alex Collins and George Farmer Ready for Their Opportunity >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/11/26/seahawks-running-backs-alex-collins-and-george-farmer-ready-their-opportunity[/urltargetblank]

“Alex has worked really hard to get in shape,” Carroll said. “He’s kind of reconditioned himself. He looks much better than he did in the offseason when we were getting ready and even in camp. I think he’s found a new level of conditioning that really suits him well, he looks quick and explosive. He’s practiced great for a long time. I visited with him (Wednesday) reminding him that this is a great opportunity for him and that he has worked really hard for it. He’s ready and he’s prepared. He can play all facets of the game for us, he can play in first, second, third down, all that stuff. Run all the routes we need to run, all of that. He’s done a really nice job in preparation… It’s his time, it’s his opportunity.”

“George has been my special project for some time now,” Carroll said. “He’s played a few different positions, and that’s because he’s such a talented athlete. He’s a really good competitor. He has a good mind for it, he’s handled the things that we’ve done with him. All along, when we drafted C.J. (Prosise), we looked at him and said George can do the same things that he could do. We’ll see if that works out. We really like the player, and I think you’re going to see he has a lot of versatility.”

Big day in Tampa Bay for these two, :2thumbs:
I like how Farmer is Pete's special weapon.I hope it works out

endzorn

Reaction score
I just want them to be competent. Neither needs to be good, just don't screw anything up. Protect the ball, take the yards given and don't try to be a hero, pick up blitzes...be an average NFL player. We can win with that.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I really do understand why so many of the 12 are still struggling with the Seahaws deciding to drop Christine to make room for younger up and comers, at a time when Christine, in spite of his best efforts, was on a steady decline performance wise.

Christine had a history with the Seahawks, and a bit of a Cinderella comeback story underway, through the end of last season, and even more at the beginning of this season. There was a noticeable decline underway thru the last few games before they finally decided it was time to cut bait, reel up and head for shore, before the boat sank completely, hoping that something would give and he'd get his game back on track.

Its not easy with Running Backs, their career ends don't usually develop over a long period of time, they are like shooting stars, brilliant and beautiful to watch and then almost in a flash they are done. From managements standpoint its always a difficult time when you have to make that call. There is sentiment there, a debit of gratitude that goes both ways, but because this is ultimately a business and everyone involved are professionals, the understanding of what has to be done is there.

I comment sometimes in my post that some players take their position on the roster more seriously than another, and that they are pushing themselves beyond the norms of the day to day training and conditioning efforts that all the players involve themselves in. I recently had someone asked how I could possibly know which players were doing what, and inquiring if I might be in some position with the team where I would be privy to that kind of information.

The answer to that is no, I could only wish that I had a job that would allow me to be involved with the Seahawks on any level. The reason I have these insights, is really simple. I'm a Seahawk junkie, I search and watch and or read everything I can find on the team and on each player. I have a good memory and I pay attention to details. I don't restrict my self to NFL involvements either, with many I look at their college involvements and even highschool, whenever that info is out there for the taking.

Because of my own background experiences, I have some good reasons to believe that those athletes who grasp the importance of pushing themselves to higher levels of wholistic conditioning, in order to compete at a higher level than others on the field, are most likely going to be more successful in their efforts and will also be more likely to extend their NFL careers well beyong the averages.

I am also aware that I'm more than a bit long winded in my post. It is, primarily because when I am not, many of my post followed by replies, from folks who want to read things into what I have to say, or are left wondering how or why I feel qualified to have the opinions I share. I try to answer most of those question and concerns before they arise. Its the salesman in me I suppose.

The truth of the matter is, at the end of the day, what I have to say is just another opinion, no better or worse than anyone else's. If you don't agree with or like what I have to say, or feel like I'm to long winded for your reading preferences, you do have the choice to not read what I have to share, in fact I think that there are options you can deploy that will allow you to ignore what I have to say all together.

That is not something I've ever done or ever will do. Long or short, I respect and appreciate everything that all of you share in this forum, even though I don't always agree.

Alex Collins is exactly where he should be on the roster. George Farmer may prove to be an asset in the event that Rawls or Collins gets injured and can't play, or until Pope and Prosise can return to active.

Go Seahawks !!