Was that the worst game of Russell Wilson's career?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I was at the game, so I was just curious what you tv watchers thought of his performance.

Two late throws into seemingly double coverage? Maybe not double coverage but it seemed that way.

I understand the offensive line was a mess but even considering?

I guess the 80+ rushing yards put it out of worst overall game but maybe just passing wise, I also recall him missing quite a few short throws.

onepicknick

Reaction score
Yes I would say it was top 5 anyway I said in another post he looked scared so he ran instead of throwing the ball. it looked like the whole offense must of took this week of practice off in preparation for thanksgiving and the BUCs were practicing at 100% for this game.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
He seemed off all game to be honest, due to the ferocious pass rush that was in his face constantly.

I was disappointed with his 2 INTs though, both were off the mark, in particular the one at the end of the game. He had Lockett quite open and needed to throw it to the pylon but the pass seemed to have too much loft and was inside leading to the pick.

Don't get me wrong, most of the blame goes on the line rather than Wilson.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
No, not his worst game, it's up there but not the worst.

He got sacked 6 times because of pass protection that for most of the game was none existent, that isn't his fault.

He missed some passes, but how many were just drops by the receiver or plain ole good defense? More than a few.

Jimmy Graham fumbles the ball after a long pass for a first down, when was the last time he fumbled the ball? I don't remember.

The Bucks defense showed up with their A-game and the Hawks just were not ready for it.

Games like this just plain SUCK, time to move on and get ready for Carolina next Sunday.

One last thing, the ENTIRE NFC WEST lost games this week, when was the last time that happened.

GO HAWKS!!!

hawker84

Reaction score
definitely up there. He looked horrible. This offense as a whole lookes like crap. Can't figure out how this offense can look so different from one week to the other.

Starting to get weary of Kearse's stone hands this season as well. Not sure what's going on with him this year. Not sure why he's getting so many crucial targets either?

SeaChat

Reaction score
That was the worst I've ever watched Russell Wilson play since he was brought into the Seahawk franchise. Everybody has that one really bad day every now and again and Russell just had his. Let's all hope that's the case, and that he doesn't have another one like this for a long time to come.

The rest of the team did a great job today. The defense held them to 14 points. Darrell Bevell did a great job of play calling out there, had Russell been able to recapture his composure, and execute, like we all know he's capable of doing, we would have won this game handily.

Instead Russell waited around in the pocket way to long. When he did pass,he threw it way too hard, and either way behind, way ahead, at the ground or way over their heads, where the didn't have a prayer of catch ring, and or had to put themselves in harms way to catch it.

I think its really important that Russell owns this one, for his own good and for the team as a whole as well. Someone posted earlier that 12s are so predictable when they loose. First thing they look for or start a hate and fire Bevell thread, then they talk about the next game coming up next, and what we need to do to win the next game up, and what we need to do next in order for us to win the Super Bowl.

I skipped blaming and firing Darrell. That would be about the dumbest damn thing we could do, he's one of the best things that ever happened to the Hawks. I have already excused Russell, and planning how we are going to win our next game and get us to the next Super Bowl. I guess I'm pretty predicable too.

Another two cents from Pacific101....Go Seahawks !

12HawkFan

Reaction score
hawker84":3cmcp5uh said:
snip...

Starting to get weary of Kearse's stone hands this season as well. Not sure what's going on with him this year. Not sure why he's getting so many crucial targets either?

He's getting the targets because the defense is leaving him by himself.

Most pass plays have a number of different scenarios based on what the quarterback sees in the defense just before the hike of the ball.

The D does that, we do this, the D does this and we do that, etc..

Kearse is not having his best year for sure but god dang it he sure can make some big catches some time and he is one of our biggest wide receivers if not the biggest one.

Time to move on and worry about Carolina.

GO HAWKS!!!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
The O-line set the tone but they got better. This result is completely on Wilson as he was terrible.

I'm OK with it though as long as he gets it out of his system.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yes, I do think this is the worst I've ever seen Russell Wilson play -- though I think it is worth mentioning that it is not all his fault. Wilson reminded me of a shell shocked David Carr, afraid of his own shadow. The pass rush got into his head he created monsters even when they were not really there. The offensive line performed so badly at the start of the game, it really set the tone for Wilson's play for the rest of the game.

His throws were hurried, and his mechanics were wonky. I saw him throwing off of his back foot and not following through with his throws all the way. Follow through is an under appreciated, and overlooked element of accuracy. The timing with his receivers was way off, it was almost as if we brought in a skinny Jamarcus Russell for one game. Even though he had a piss poor game I don't hold it against him given what he had to work with. The playcalling was off, the line was off, and the QB was off, it was just one of them days.

The one thing we can all agree on is how important Britt is to this line. Hunt not only look like he was outmatched physically, but mentally as well. The Bucs were running the same stunts all game long, and they ran through our line untouched. The is an indication of a center that does not know what he is doing. One of the main jobs of the center is to get peopled lined up correctly, and point out and discrepancies that the center may see. Hunt did not do this. I did not see him motion to his lineman once, if you watch Brit he is constantly yelling at his fellow lineman and pointing out potential problematic players. Britt's job becomes even more important when you have a tackle that is not even a football player by trade, and a rookie, a inexperienced LG, a rookie RG, and an inexperienced TE that decided to be a RT for Halloween.

Largent80

Reaction score
He did run very well. Run for his LIFE.

What happened to the line in front of him?...It had to be the absence of Britt because that was the only real change in players.

He was obviously off today, and it's actually understandable. 4 sacks in the first half, numerous hits as well, I just wish we would have committed to the run coming out after the half.

nash72

Reaction score
pacific101":2f76jean said:
The rest of the team did a great job today. The defense held them to 14 points. Darrell Bevell did a great job of play calling out there, had Russell been able to recapture his composure, and execute, like we all know he's capable of doing, we would have won this game handily.

How can anybody that knows anything about football say such a thing? Yes, Russell was horrible, but so was everybody else. Sherman got picked on all day by Evans and was scorched badly for that 2nd TD. Kearse was just atrocious yesterday and didnt bring one single thing to the table. Rawls did more spinning than running. The offensive line was abysmal as usual. Bobby Wagner even looked like trash. As for Bevell, seriously? Bubble screens out the ying yang, not once rolling Wilson out on purpose to elude some of the pressure that was being applied, no targets for Graham until the 3rd quarter, etc,,,,. It was the usual crap game by Bevell.

Tell me, how in your world does yesterday equate to Bevell doing a fantastic job?

he's one of the best things that ever happened to the Hawks.

Theres not a facepalm on the internet even close to being big enough for this statement.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
12HawkFan":sv0sawh2 said:
No, not his worst game, it's up there but not the worst.

If that wasn't his worst, what was?

I can't remember another game where he threw zero TDs, had 2 INTs, his throws were off all game, he barely had 150 yards passing, and he didn't come alive in the 4th quarter with Wilson magic.

SeaChat

Reaction score
nash72":3m1agdg3 said:
pacific101":3m1agdg3 said:

How can anybody that knows anything about football say such a thing? Yes, Russell was horrible, but so was everybody else. Sherman got picked on all day by Evans and was scorched badly for that 2nd TD. Kearse was just atrocious yesterday and didnt bring one single thing to the table. Rawls did more spinning than running. The offensive line was abysmal as usual. Bobby Wagner even looked like trash. As for Bevell, seriously? Bubble screens out the ying yang, not once rolling Wilson out on purpose to elude some of the pressure that was being applied, no targets for Graham until the 3rd quarter, etc,,,,. It was the usual crap game by Bevell.

Tell me, how in your world does yesterday equate to Bevell doing a fantastic job?

he's one of the best things that ever happened to the Hawks.

Theres not a facepalm on the internet even close to being big enough for this statement.

I tried really hard not to dump the entire load on Russell's shoulders. If you subscribe to NFL Game Pass, go back and start counting the seconds Russell is holding on to the ball after the snap. The offensive line wasn't having its best day, but if Russell was getting rid of the ball within the 2.5 to 3 second window that he is capable of, when his head is in the game, the offense was giving him that time.

Russell was consistently holding on to the ball for over 4.5 seconds, too long for the Buc's defence. On almost every pass option play called in, we had receivers open, when Russell did pass, he was all over the place, throwing way to hard, way over, or way under his targets, throwing behind or leading to far.

He just had a bad day, simple as that. The defense did good over all. Sherman did a great job defending against Evans over the long haul. Once Sherm had a pretty intense conversation with the referees in regards to how they were going to officiate CB converges in this game, on both sides of the ball.

That conversation actually seemed to help, because after that, Sherman was able to, for the most part keep Evans in check. Important to keep in mind that no CB is going to completely shut Evans down, the guy is one of the best in the NFL right now, help the only 2 scores TB got were compliments of Evans.

While many are not big fans of some of Bevells play calling, or specific elements of his game strategies, on more occasions than not, his game plans have worked for the Seahawks, bringing us off the field winners more often than not.

I teetered on Darrell's way of thinking, when he fist came on board with the Seahawks, but I've become a believer over time. I try to look at everything with as open a mind as I can, and while, admittedly that's limited, I do think I finally got the big picture in reference to what Bevells end game is and the strategies that are implemented to get us there.

I'm gonna let Russell eat his spinich on this one, I think that the more that do, will only help him to make another turn in his developments as a QB, and a much improved one at that. It seems, historically when Russell emerges from an experience like he had on Sunday, that he has always learned and grown from it. Look for him to play the best games of his career throughout the remainder of this season, and hopefully in route to another Super Bowl bid.

Seems sometimes the best things in life come in shitty packages, if this loss to TB on Sunday leads to much needed changes in our offense, then it couldn't have happened at a better time. If we did squeak by with a win yesterday, things might have continues business as usual and we'd of gotten our asses handed to us down the road when it really mattered, by handing our shot at a super bowl bid to another team.

If you think yesterdays loss was painful, going in blind to our game defects down the road in a critical playoff game would dwarf the pain and humiliation we all felt yesterday at the hands of the Buc's.

Another two cents worth from Pacific 101.... Go Seahawks !

djb28

Reaction score
He would literally take two steps back and the pocket collapsed around him. It was horrific to watch.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He had some real clunkers aginst the 49ers at the start of his career. He had a 9-23 for 122 1 INT 0 TD's on a Thursday night road game. That one was tough to watch too.

nash72

Reaction score
pacific101":1wnnn382 said:
I tried really hard not to dump the entire load on Russell's shoulders. If you subscribe to NFL Game Pass, go back and start counting the seconds Russell is holding on to the ball after the snap. The offensive line wasn't having its best day, but if Russell was getting rid of the ball within the 2.5 to 3 second window that he is capable of, when his head is in the game, the offense was giving him that time.

You act if though Wilson should have gotten rid of the ball quicker like its an automatic thing in the NFL. There's reasons why it didnt happen. Receivers werent open, Wilson didnt read the plays, or Bevell didnt call plays to let that happen. It was a combination of all 3. Even when receivers were open, Wilson missed them more than not.

Russell was consistently holding on to the ball for over 4.5 seconds, too long for the Buc's defence. On almost every pass option play called in, we had receivers open, when Russell did pass, he was all over the place, throwing way to hard, way over, or way under his targets, throwing behind or leading to far.

Russell was horrible, but the receivers were not getting open so your wrong on that account.

He just had a bad day, simple as that. The defense did good over all. Sherman did a great job defending against Evans over the long haul. Once Sherm had a pretty intense conversation with the referees in regards to how they were going to officiate CB converges in this game, on both sides of the ball.

That conversation actually seemed to help, because after that, Sherman was able to, for the most part keep Evans in check. Important to keep in mind that no CB is going to completely shut Evans down, the guy is one of the best in the NFL right now, help the only 2 scores TB got were compliments of Evans.

Sherman kept Evans in check? Over 100 yards and 2 scores? Seriously?

While many are not big fans of some of Bevells play calling, or specific elements of his game strategies, on more occasions than not, his game plans have worked for the Seahawks, bringing us off the field winners more often than not.

Yeah, when Wilson is on top of his game and bails out the crap that Bevell calls. Russ had a bad game and you saw what happened. Bevell was of no help at all yesterday. As usual.

I teetered on Darrell's way of thinking, when he fist came on board with the Seahawks, but I've become a believer over time. I try to look at everything with as open a mind as I can, and while, admittedly that's limited, I do think I finally got the big picture in reference to what Bevells end game is and the strategies that are implemented to get us there.

Well like Bevell, you are wrong. When the talented players we have fail to overshadow the horrific play calling, we have games like we did against TB.

I'm gonna let Russell eat his spinich on this one, I think that the more that do, will only help him to make another turn in his developments as a QB, and a much improved one at that. It seems, historically when Russell emerges from an experience like he had on Sunday, that he has always learned and grown from it. Look for him to play the best games of his career throughout the remainder of this season, and hopefully in route to another Super Bowl bid.

Russ sucked and its rare. I'll give you that. I also dont feel we have a legitimate shot at the superbowl this year either, Its getting worse year after year. Shortest window ever.

Seems sometimes the best things in life come in shitty packages, if this loss to TB on Sunday leads to much needed changes in our offense, then it couldn't have happened at a better time. If we did squeak by with a win yesterday, things might have continues business as usual and we'd of gotten our asses handed to us down the road when it really mattered, by handing our shot at a super bowl bid to another team.

Great teams dont lose games like that yesterday. First road playoff game and we're history this season.

If you think yesterdays loss was painful, going in blind to our game defects down the road in a critical playoff game would dwarf the pain and humiliation we all felt yesterday at the hands of the Buc's.

We played Tampa Bay yesterday who is an average to shitty team. We wont play shitty teams in the playoffs.

Another two cents worth from Pacific 101.... Go Seahawks !

Two cents? Your giving yourself to much credit.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Probably was his worst game as a passer but Wasn't Russell our leading rusher?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder why certain "fans" even watch games. :roll:
One loss and the sky is falling. 3 game lead with 5 to play, 3 home games left. Suck it up and enjoy the ride. Teams lose games that they should have won all the time. The same people whining this week will be fired up after they beat the Panthers. :irishdrinkers:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1xvcwkxn said:
Probably was his worst game as a passer but Wasn't Russell our leading rusher?

Yep, that's definitely part of his game and part of it, IMO.

Off the top of my head I think he worse in the playoffs against the Vikings last year, and worse against the Packers in the playoffs in the year before last (which is probably the worst game of his career, I'd imagine, but I haven't gone back through his career or anything).