Kearse: 0-9 on red zone passes this year

mistaowen

Reaction score
http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...e-russell-wilson-touchdowns-pass-interference

According to NFLSavant.com, Kearse is the only player in the NFL with more than three red zone targets and no catches, and he has nine such plays.

Targeted 56 times already (about one time less per game than Jimmy Graham), Kearse has caught just 51.8% of those throws and has zero touchdowns.

Things only seem to be getting worse, as Kearse has caught just seven of his last 22 targets for 4.95 yards per target.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":oojj0ixb said:
If the Hawks only had a big Tight End who can't be covered in the Red Zone. Damn

We do. He's Jimmy Graham. You're welcome!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":386ulrdy said:
SoulfishHawk":386ulrdy said:
If the Hawks only had a big Tight End who can't be covered in the Red Zone. Damn

We do. He's Jimmy Graham. You're welcome!

Soulfish forgot the "sarcasm on" emoji.

I've been on the run Kearse out of town bandwagon for two years. He just doesn't make enough plays for a #2 receiver, and more importantly how much we NEED a #2 receiver to make those plays when good teams bracket and double cover Doug and Jimmy.

Too many drops, too many OPI's, too many games going by with 1 or 0 catches, WITH 7-10 targets? Not good enough, not even close.

randomation

Reaction score
What happened to Tanner? I would love to see both him and Jimmy when they are in the red zone would have to double both just due to height leaving Lock and ADB singled.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Not impressed with Kearse either.

Lackluster downfield blocking last week as well.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
The thing most obvious to me is defenses are giving Kearse these opportunities cause they know not to worry. They're going to leave Kearse in single coverage since he struggles to gain separation, has drop problems, and won't break tackles. Russ sees single coverage and goes there as most QBs would, but those are some awful numbers this year.

I don't understand why Jimmy hasn't been isolated out wide in the red zone, where Kearse has been, at all. I vaguely remember it happening once and I don't think he was thrown to. Jimmy's had a few passes down there but it's criminal seeing Kearse lined up isolated outside knowing it's a good look with wrong personnel.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":muh3yb4b said:
I don't understand why Jimmy hasn't been isolated out wide in the red zone, where Kearse has been, at all. I vaguely remember it happening once and I don't think he was thrown to. Jimmy's had a few passes down there but it's criminal seeing Kearse lined up isolated outside knowing it's a good look with wrong personnel.

Because teams don't allow Jimmy to be isolated anywhere, especially in the RZ. That's my point above.

When teams bracket and double cover your best receivers, your other receivers HAVE to make plays to stop that..........and Kearse doesn't.

Russell's been taught to read defenses and throw at the single coverage receiver, and that's Kearse 75% of the time. Why? Cause teams don't respect him anymore than we do, and they're right.

cymatica

Reaction score
On more than one of those RZ passes, I have seen him give up and beg for a flag when being contacted by the DB. I don't care if it's pass interference, fight for the ball no matter what, then if you have to complain, do it after the ball hits the ground.

It seems every time the throw isn't perfect he can't catch the ball. His big time clutch catches to win both championship games were perfect balls, huh huh. The SB49 catch was the exception, not the rule. And his effort against browner the final play negated anything positive about that catch.

Btw, you would think after getting called for opi on not selling a pick play would make you adjust just a little. He is playing like the team decided not to pay him.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":176zk2zy said:
mistaowen":176zk2zy said:

Because teams don't allow Jimmy to be isolated anywhere, especially in the RZ. That's my point above.

When teams bracket and double cover your best receivers, your other receivers HAVE to make plays to stop that..........and Kearse doesn't.

Russell's been taught to read defenses and throw at the single coverage receiver, and that's Kearse 75% of the time. Why? Cause teams don't respect him anymore than we do, and they're right.

I agree they'll bracket him and that's cause he's kept in the middle third of the field or running horizontally. The Pats manage to scheme Gronk into 1 on 1s all the time. Gronk had a 1 on 1 against Kam to end the game. Many big time receivers get 1 on 1s in the red zone out wide. We should be able to do the same. If he's alone out wide, is the safety help really gonna shade that far over?

Even if they send help with Jimmy outside, that leaves a lot more open space in the middle. I truly don't remember many times we've tried to isolate him out wide, usually he's in the middle of some bunch formation letting Kearse get the 1 on 1 opportunity. Russ is correct to throw there, you'd assume that is a high potential play, but someone new needs to be in that spot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":1gri0yqi said:
Sgt. Largent":1gri0yqi said:
mistaowen":1gri0yqi said:

I agree they'll bracket him and that's cause he's kept in the middle third of the field or running horizontally. The Pats manage to scheme Gronk into 1 on 1s all the time. Gronk had a 1 on 1 against Kam to end the game. Many big time receivers get 1 on 1s in the red zone out wide. We should be able to do the same. If he's alone out wide, is the safety help really gonna shade that far over?

Even if they send help with Jimmy outside, that leaves a lot more open space in the middle. I truly don't remember many times we've tried to isolate him out wide, usually he's in the middle of some bunch formation letting Kearse get the 1 on 1 opportunity. Russ is correct to throw there, you'd assume that is a high potential play, but someone new needs to be in that spot.

Gronk is not a good comparison for Jimmy. Gronk's a big ol' wrecking ball that runs into LB's and safeties knocking them off him to create space and make plays.............Jimmy's more of a finesse TE that needs time to get out into his routes and use his athleticism to get open.

Hard to do in the RZ with other teams playing dime with 7-8 people out in coverage to double and triple team him.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to see Russell throw into that double coverage or bracket and let Jimmy try to make plays. But apparently Russell's not comfortable with that, he tries to go at the single cover receiver and play it safe.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Need to see a gif of each one to really say whether it's good or bad. I've seen some pretty bad passes to him this year from Russ.

razor150

Reaction score
StoneCold":79jh9uvo said:
Need to see a gif of each one to really say whether it's good or bad. I've seen some pretty bad passes to him this year from Russ.

Russ has thrown bad passes to everyone, why would the majority only be bad for Kearse? Kearse is just flat out not performing.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
razor150":2lbhtsa3 said:
StoneCold":2lbhtsa3 said:

Russ has thrown bad passes to everyone, why would the majority only be bad for Kearse? Kearse is just flat out not performing.
But I think he's thrown a larger volume of passes in the red zone to Kearse due to the single coverage. But how many of those were uncatchable?

Crizilla

Reaction score
only 10 TD catches for his career...wow....thought he had more for sure. Those 2 NFC title game catches though.....I say unleash p-rich....Kearse is better at setting up blocks though....btw none of this really matters if the o-line plays terrible. It all starts up front....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":1styl38l said:

He's also thrown some great passes to Kearse, that bounced off his hands, chest or he just flat out dropped.

The big one I remember was in the Eagles game, or maybe it was the Bills? The throw where Kearse caught it down at the one, tried to extend into the endzone and couldn't hold on. Those are the Kearse moments that drive me crazy.

Just catch the damn ball.

Also 5 OPI's? Dude, figure it out.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":8ktj3zly said:
razor150":8ktj3zly said:
StoneCold":8ktj3zly said:

But I think he's thrown a larger volume of passes in the red zone to Kearse due to the single coverage. But how many of those were uncatchable?

Meh watching Kearse there are a ton of balls he should of come down with that he doesn't even accounting for more targets causing more badly thrown balls. He's really not as good as the fan base thinks he is and that's understandable. We all probably overrate our own guys from time to time. I didn't like the signing when we did it and I like even less now. We need better from the #2.

I get the bracket coverage argument and I've even used it from time to time. It still seems odd we can't scheme him away from it at least occasionally. What were the Saints doing? He was just as big a threat there and I'm sure saw the same thing happening to him but they found a way to get in the ball in the red zone. He was the #1 red zone guy in the whole league with them and he has 1-2 in his time with the Seahawks. That seems like Bevell needs to find ways to get creative in getting him the ball.

Seymour

Reaction score
Crizilla":2lg88bvn said:
only 10 TD catches for his career...wow....thought he had more for sure. Those 2 NFC title game catches though.....I say unleash p-rich....Kearse is better at setting up blocks though....btw none of this really matters if the o-line plays terrible. It all starts up front....

What????????
Of course it matters! In fact it matters even more since you will get less attempts with a crappy oline. You will need to make the most of those red zone targets, by NOT throwing to a sure drop receiver.