Man Vs. ZBS

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I must admit I am real noob on the topic but very curious on opinions.

From what I have read, the ZBS is usually best suited for smaller, smarter, athletic lineman. At the beginning of 2016, the projected starters including Webb was projected to be the fifth heaviest line in the NFL. None of this line had worked together, and all were relatively inexperienced.

Considering JS and PC covet SPARQ scores, do you guys think that the Seahawks have simply outsmarted themselves on the Oline and have failed simply by not instituting a man blocking scheme and allowing their lineman to use their athleticism and size to their advantage?

The zone does allow cut back lanes more often that the man scheme and it seems that Rawls uses cutbacks quite often, however, due to his running style, I would argue that he may be better suited to run behind a man scheme.

Against above average defensive lines, it is apparent that most if not all of our lineman get caught flat-footed and Wilson tends to get caught up in the wash of lineman. If the O-line could line up man on man and account for each assignment it seems to me that our line could get some push and give Wilson some more time and possibly a larger pocket to throw from.

Now I know that people are going to say that Cable doesn't teach that system. I am aware. I am simply asking, in your opinion, would a man scheme improve this line?

Tical21

Reaction score
They've run a ton of man schemes this year. I think there is a huge misconception of the differences between man and zone blocking. On many plays, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Crizilla

Reaction score
it's not the scheme it's the linemen themselves. Zone has been proven to be excellent for a running game assuming the men execute, and what makes a RB special is his ability to run inside or outside the zone (depending on how the defense reacts, he's gotta make a FAST read). It's a guessing game sometimes. To answer your question: no. On pass plays our men are getting physically dominated. We don't secure a strong enough pocket. That's pretty much it. Also sometimes there's a combination of both man and "area" blocking in terms of pass protection. We don't do any of them very well.

Latest posts