Chalk Talk breaking down 1st Wilson pick

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[youtube]anN6jlYUz4I[/youtube]

Great read, as always. Multiple places to stick the blame.

getnasty

Reaction score
Not sure how I missed this earlier but great post and very informative. I'm surprised that Sowell is the guy who decides that there blocking down there? Maybe like Brock said thats just because Britts out. Russ knows with a free rusher he has to get rid of that ball quick and probably throws it trusting PRICH is gonna do his job. Also maybe a little insight on why Kearse is still on the field over Richardson?

McGruff

Reaction score
getnasty":2ynqv64v said:
Not sure how I missed this earlier but great post and very informative. I'm surprised that Sowell is the guy who decides that there blocking down there? Maybe like Brock said thats just because Britts out. Russ knows with a free rusher he has to get rid of that ball quick and probably throws it trusting PRICH is gonna do his job. Also maybe a little insight on why Kearse is still on the field over Richardson?

Fant occasionally getting beat physically is expected at this point.

But a 5 year veteran making mental errors presnap is inexcusable.

Not saying Gilliam is the answer. I don't think we have the answer for that position on our roster, but I sure hope they find one in the off season.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
getnasty":xurpxov0 said:

Saw a very similar whiff by Minnesota's right tackle last night and it got Bradford nailed. It happens. Problem is, it was happening in multiple places along the line at too high a frequency during that game.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Coaches say Hunt had a good game, but they have to be using fuzzy math. Good game FOR A ROOK is more like it. The enture line seemed a tick slow. That normally happens when they are not targeted properly pre-snap.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Smellyman

Reaction score
For his first game ever Hunt was better than Sowell, Gilliam, Ifedi and Fant.

But Hunt now has the Seahawk message board theme of being an awful player. Takes years to overcome the message board group think.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":17xwhzr3 said:

But Hunt now has the Seahawk message board theme of being an awful player. Takes years to overcome the message board group think.
Him being better than the others, yet deficient in calling line protection, shifting the brunt of misfires across the entire line...Guess now we all know how important Justin Britt is to the success of our O-Line...Britt may only be getting a second or two more time for Russ, assignment correct calls from the Center is still a must, especially with lack of experience on this line.
Does Tampa all of the sudden have several All Pro Defenders?, I don't think so.
Looking at the success over the last month, and how it all seemed to sour up in a game when Britt isn't in there speaks volumes.....Tampa Bay took advantage of the confusion, IMHO.

Smellyman

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3ea2pg12 said:
Smellyman":3ea2pg12 said:

Him being better than the others, yet deficient in calling line protection, shifting the brunt of misfires across the entire line...Guess now we all know how important Justin Britt is to the success of our O-Line...Britt may only be getting a second or two more time for Russ, assignment correct calls from the Center is still a must, especially with lack of experience on this line.
Looking at the success over the last month, and how it all seemed to sour up in a game when Britt isn't in there speaks volumes.....Tampa Bay took advantage of the confusion, IMHO.

Him being better as a rook in first start is telling. You're right.

Also, I though RW has responsibility of line calls now?

Yes Fant getting beat constantly one on one, Ifedi getting beat one on one and Sowell/Gilliam getting beat one on one is all on Hunt.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
McGruff":1ggdazuz said:
getnasty":1ggdazuz said:

Not saying Gilliam is the answer. I don't think we have the answer for that position on our roster, but I sure hope they find one in the off season.

Interesting break down from Brock.

I agree with your post, McGruff sadly. I do think Britt makes the line much better but just can't understand why we didn't address an obvious need at tackle. Perhaps Pete thought Gilliam would develop better than he has.

McGruff

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2pdz3xj5 said:
McGruff":2pdz3xj5 said:
getnasty":2pdz3xj5 said:

Interesting break down from Brock.

I agree with your post, McGruff sadly. I do think Britt makes the line much better but just can't understand why we didn't address an obvious need at tackle. Perhaps Pete thought Gilliam would develop better than he has.

I think Pete and cable made two critical evaluation errors.

First, they thought Gilliam would make a smooth transition the LT. In fairness, many of us thought the same thing. His athletic ability and technique seemed like an ideal fit. He didn't step into those shoes though.

Second, they thought Webb would provide veteran stability at RT. Turned out he was an tub of goo. This one is the one that is inexcusable.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Smellyman":1zh8unz3 said:
scutterhawk":1zh8unz3 said:
Smellyman":1zh8unz3 said:

Him being better as a rook in first start is telling. You're right.

Also, I though RW has responsibility of line calls now?

It's never just one guy. The QB and center share the calls.

While Hunt may have held up physically, not being able to prepare the interior OL for the relentless blitzes, stunts, and twists the Bucs threw at them could very well be on Hunt's inexperience. I think you'll see a marked improvement tomorrow with Britt back in.