Pete:Gilliam gave opportunity for someone to take his spot.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Carroll said Garry Gilliam gave an opportunity for someone to take his spot, so Sowell is getting a chance at RT. Fant staying at LT, Sowell getting the start at RT.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/804064690984787968[/tweet]

McGruff

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":1lco8v28 said:
Carroll said Garry Gilliam gave an opportunity for someone to take his spot, so Sowell is getting a chance at RT. Fant staying at LT, Sowell getting the start at RT.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/804064690984787968[/tweet]

So Gilliam has gone from starting left tackle, to the guy who was beat out by the guy who was beat out by a middle school kid.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Gilliam is another Cable project gone nowhere. Like Sokoli, Smith, etc. Converts that never materialize. PC has given Cable the reigns to do that so PC is at fault too. Hopefully these guys have learned that OL projects are not the way to go.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The team drafted a RT and RG to play the RT at RG and the RG to play LT. That is insane. I thought for sure Ifedi was going to be the teams RT.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
That's unusually blunt of Pete to put it that way. I doubt Gilliam is much longer for this team.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1o44rpgi said:
That's unusually blunt of Pete to put it that way. I doubt Gilliam is much longer for this team.

Probably not a noticeable cap hit it cut.

Optimus25

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1cvhoabx said:

But then who would we throw our fake field goals to?
;)

McGruff

Reaction score
OkieHawk":311kbczd said:
MontanaHawk05":311kbczd said:

No need to cut him. Just let his contract play out at the end of this year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
McGruff":3dbkql6d said:
OkieHawk":3dbkql6d said:
MontanaHawk05":3dbkql6d said:

No need to cut him. Just let his contract play out at the end of this year.

My question would be is he being treated like the way Britt was a couple years back? Lg then Rg....now center. Maybe they are trying to get him reps on both sides to be able to see the different sets and call when our Center goes out like this past weekend. Yanno the shuffle that Pete and company like to do.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
---
The Seahawks will go with their fifth different starting offensive line combination in 12 games Sunday against the Panthers. Bradley Sowell will get the start over Garry Gilliam at right tackle. Offensive line coach Tom Cable said that the team is looking for the best five and wouldn't count out the possibility that there will be more changes to come. "We compete here," Cable said.

Sheil Kapadia, ESPN Writer
---

justafan

Reaction score
I have bashed players like Gilliam Fant and Sowell but in my opinion they have overachieved.They should have never been expected to hold down the edge.

Tell the truth monday. maybe the Pete or Cable should admit to themselves they made a mistake of expecting too much out players of there level of talent and experience.

cymatica

Reaction score
So it took them 3/4 of the season to figure this out? Cable wtf, that is beyond rediculous.

Maybe Gilliam can lose some weight and play TE again

Seymour

Reaction score
cymatica":1d1bcl72 said:
So it took them 3/4 of the season to figure this out? Cable wtf, that is beyond rediculous.

No it took them 2 1/2 seasons to figure this out. He's been here since 2014, and now this? Sad talent eval on the offensive line group (yes Pete's son is assistant also) Always has been since Cable has been "the man".

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This coaching staff needs to seriously re evaluate the way they're grading offensive linemen in the draft.

Ray Roberts was on Danny, Dave and Moore the other day, and what he said was very interesting. Basically, he disagreed with Cable's opinion on how college offensive linemen aren't good coming out of college because of the use of the spread offense. Ray Roberts argued a very simple point: wouldn't it be easier to coach up a lineman that has experience at the position, rather than developing a whole bunch of projects?

It's a shame this historic defense could potentially be wasted because of a stubborn approach to drafting offensive lineman

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I love the Positive Pete spin though, Gilliam didn't fail his own opportunity, he "gave an opportunity for someone" else.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3vi0gopi said:
This coaching staff needs to seriously re evaluate the way they're grading offensive linemen in the draft.

Ray Roberts was on Danny, Dave and Moore the other day, and what he said was very interesting. Basically, he disagreed with Cable's opinion on how college offensive linemen aren't good coming out of college because of the use of the spread offense. Ray Roberts argued a very simple point: wouldn't it be easier to coach up a lineman that has experience at the position, rather than developing a whole bunch of projects?

It's a shame this historic defense could potentially be wasted because of a stubborn approach to drafting offensive lineman

Personally I believe it's more than drafting. I believe our scheme is a major part of the problem, and there are too many potential assignment problems and unfavorable mismatches creating errors and disadvantages.

cymatica

Reaction score
Seymour":2rzzlx4k said:
cymatica":2rzzlx4k said:

No it took them 2 1/2 seasons to figure this out. He's been here since 2014, and now this? Sad talent eval on the offensive line group (yes Pete's son is assistant also) Always has been since Cable has been "the man".

True, but he did look serviceable last year at least. Maybe trading a decent player for a rookie in the guard spot affected him more than they thought.