Is Steve Raible *the* voice of the NFL?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I ask as I've noticed that even UK NFL programmes use his voice in promos and highlight reels. It's very often not even matched to seahawk footage just general NFL footage. "How did he do that" or " you've got to be kidding me" regularly appear alongside images of receivers and backs flying through the air in slow motion.

We have a BBC NFL show over here and the very first thing you hear is Raible's voice.

Largent80

Reaction score
You know the sad thing?....I always want to kill the volume on my TV and tune into KIRO for the game broadcast but the nfl makes it so people outside of Seattle can't stream it.

So, we have to spend 3 hours listening to people like collinsworth. It sucks.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Largent80":1z9x6i3i said:
You know the sad thing?....I always want to kill the volume on my TV and tune into KIRO for the game broadcast but the nfl makes it so people outside of Seattle can't stream it.

collinsworth is horrific
If youre old enough, maybe you have an old school radio you can use?
Im not in Seattle, but if i was, that would be best bet. Only thing is that today, there is probaby a couple seconds delay between radio and TV calls.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Largent80":1g3akw9s said:

I am in the Seattle area and the KIRO stream sometimes cuts out at game time for me too. But after following a suggestion posted somewhere here I have started streaming by opening the app, or even via the web page, at least an hour before kickoff. And for some reason that works, you never get kicked off.

Since I have a DVR, pausing the TV enough seconds to be in sync is simple enough.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Love Rabes..

Collinsworth.. :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

Cartire

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":19ahg7dg said:
Largent80":19ahg7dg said:

I am in the Seattle area and the KIRO stream sometimes cuts out at game time for me too. But after following a suggestion posted somewhere here I have started streaming by opening the app, or even via the web page, at least an hour before kickoff. And for some reason that works, you never get kicked off.

Since I have a DVR, pausing the TV enough seconds to be in sync is simple enough.

I think this method only works with the app if you want it synced. The radio broadcast is actually ahead of the tv broadcast and can't be synced unless you can pause your radio. The app however is about 20+ sec delayed.

Just and FYI for those thinking about busting the radio out.

Largent80

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3mhpslqf said:
Largent80":3mhpslqf said:

I always am using the app way before the game. I usually am lifting weights while listening, then I go all the way to game time and BAM, it goes deaf.

Even when I lived in Seattle there was a latency by the broadcast, but I would trade it for the chance to hear Raible say Touchdownnnnnn Seahawks !!!!!!!!

But I'm in Texas where a radio obviously won't work. It's another thing I hate about the NFL. Their desire to ram over 100 commercials down our throats in 3 hours. BTW, I MUTE all of them, hear that NFL...I MUTE THEM ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
^ I have learned to be careful when using the app during the lead up to not interrupt the stream by for example opening a web page with multimedia that temporarily overrides the audio. My theory is that when the iPhone reverts to the app stream, that there is a reset of some start-time number that gets used, which then results in a cutoff at game time. This theory includes the idea that if the initial timestamp is from a different 'radio program' then it works continuously because that earlier program does not enforce any cutoff. The app doesn't realize you have drifted into a game time program, absent any interrupt/reset.

cymatica

Reaction score
Rable reminds me of Kevin Colabro, one of the better play by play announcers.

As for the voice of the NFL, Joe Buck might be the winner there. Most here don't like him for some reason(I think Aikman's stank cloud just covers him a little) but he has got to be one of the best, even makes golf more interesting.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
He's good, but I wish he'd tone it down on normal plays. If you estimated our performance on his tonal inflection and overall level of drama during a game, then we score about 17 touchdowns and 30 major plays every game.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2tkbwmq9 said:
He's good, but I wish he'd tone it down on normal plays. If you estimated our performance on his tonal inflection and overall level of drama during a game, then we score about 17 touchdowns and 30 major plays every game.
Agree, Raible is over the top even normally.

It could be that it comes with doing a radio broadcast, when the assumption is that most of the audience is not also seeing the action. But along with that comes other often-interesting commentary, even the '.. And now Lockett comes in motion' kinda thing, even if you are simul-watching.

But the reason I prefer listening to Steve and Warren is primarily because they know, and focus on, the Seahawks more than what the TV broadcasters do.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I've grown to enjoy Warren too. Yeah he occasionally stumbles, but he's fun and definitely knows his football from all those years playing.

The Breh

Reaction score
I've been doing this for years, radio for sound, know what's gonna happen seconds before I get to see it.
I do the same with Dawgs games and listen to Rondo.

baumer64

Reaction score
Yes, love listening to Raible and never understood why it took them so long to move him to play by play from color. As good as Steve is though, Pete Gross was a true master at painting the picture in your mind by listening. Raible did a great job of color in those days too. As for Colabro, he was a master with the Sonics as was his predecessor, Bob Blackburn. Now how many here remember listening to him?

The Breh

Reaction score
Between Raible, Niehause, Collabro, Rizs and Rondo Seattle sports fans have been awfully lucky.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The Breh":2oz6wf3z said:
I've been doing this for years, radio for sound, know what's gonna happen seconds before I get to see it.

If you have a DVR, just pause the game for however many seconds the radio broadcast is behind. Been doing that with Husky games for years.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
fenderbender123":kikzyn8p said:
The Breh":kikzyn8p said:

If you have a DVR, just pause the game for however many seconds the radio broadcast is behind. Been doing that with Husky games for years.
Radio always happens seconds before TV, right? I think it does at my place (over-air radio vs Comcast cable). And so pausing the DVR makes the time separation bigger instead of better.

I used the online streaming KIRO app yesterday, on a phone (and bluetoothed to a Jammer) and it never cut out at game time despite my starting the app within about 25 minutes of kickoff. Was a pleasant surprise, thought I had missed the app-start window while busy, out and away from home. Paused the DVR for the about 20 seconds to sync it up, worked beautifully.