Kris Richard AND Pete...

Optimus25

Reaction score
Aaaand Bevell. We absolutely need the offense to keep the defense off the field for stupid extended periods of time.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Optimus25":1b27gnob said:
Aaaand Bevell. We absolutely need the offense to keep the defense off the field for stupid extended periods of time.
Was just going to say this. Hawks are going to have to score 30+ a game, once a good offensive team starts gameplanning for ET being out I fully expect the D to give up more points. More game planning and play calling like tonight would be great, GP'ing and playcalling like last week = big trouble.

McGruff

Reaction score
Let's try not to make a post about Pete and Kris into a Darrell Bevell thread.

Just saying. This thread is being watched.

On the original post, I suspect as long as Terrell stays healthy we may not adjust coverage much. He's the first ET backup that has the range needed to play single high safety. But we will probably have to adjust our underneath zones a bit to account for thomas' run/pass instincts.

Hawks46

Reaction score
On the positive side, this might preclude Richard from pulling more dumb stunts like rushing 3 on 3rd and long, with Rubin on the field dropping into zone coverage.

That play needs to go right in the garbage can.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Just realized the Hawks shot at the Defensive scoring title for another year might be lost now too. It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but you know the Hawks D (and us) want to see that streak stay alive.

Hopefully Pete and Richard can adjust so there is not too much of a drop off in points allowed.

StoneCold

Reaction score
HawkFan72":klvazgrd said:
Just realized the Hawks shot at the Defensive scoring title for another year might be lost now too. It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but you know the Hawks D (and us) want to see that streak stay alive.

Hopefully Pete and Richard can adjust so there is not too much of a drop off in points allowed.

Well, so far, in 6 quarters of play without Earl, they've allowed 14 points. We're going to be ok.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Next Sunday's game against the Packers will be telling on if/how Richard and Pete will tweak the D to account for Earl's absence.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":2gaaii5u said:
On the positive side, this might preclude Richard from pulling more dumb stunts like rushing 3 on 3rd and long, with Rubin on the field dropping into zone coverage.

That play needs to go right in the garbage can.

Drives me insane, and is the major reason this D gives up long 3rd down completions seemingly 2-3 times a game.

But with Bennett back, we should start to see good pressure with just rushing our front 4 again, and not have to send blitzers as much as we saw with Bennett out.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I'm still not clear on why this thread is titled Pete and Richard. I was expecting to find a discussion where one was in conflict or agreement with each other on how to proceed with our defense in light of Earl's absence from the field for the remainder of the season.

One thing that has really sunk in for me this year is Pete's coaching strategy. I.e. "next man up", and "compete for your position". In his mind its never a matter of " if a player will be injured, its only a matter of when", its pro football, players get injured everyday, in practice, on the field during a game, off the field when their wife kicks their ass.

With Pete's approach, when that time comes, its "next man up", and the individual who best competed for the job, less the injured player, moves in to that position. That way there is always a man ready to fill any position, at any point in the season, and because Pete also has a coaching philosophy wherein each player is taught to execute their position the same as every other player at that position, so that when the time comes to play, they already know what to do and how to do it.

I'm not saying that the loss of Earl won't be felt. It will,but not as much as it would, had Pete not coached the way he has. Let's also remember Earl's not dead, just injured, his greatest strength is his helping coach the defensive line. Getting everyone in place, he can still do a lot of that from the side lines during the games.