UPDATE: Schefter-Earl out for rest of year, no matter what.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/805912314398605312[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/805925995677188096[/tweet]

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5703/earl-thomas

Coach Pete Carroll confirmed FS Earl Thomas suffered a broken tibia in Week 13 and is done for the season.
He'll likely be placed on I.R. sometime this week. Thomas was hurt by friendly fire from SS Kam Chancellor in Sunday night's win and had to be carted off the field. It's a massive loss for a team with Super Bowl aspirations. Fourth-year UDFA Steven Terrell filled in for Thomas after he was hurt. Dec 5 - 6:13 PM
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Rob12

Reaction score
If it's the tibia...

77592c151c5081d5d5198a5b5a09b4ad.jpg

2af60af1d6c284dd60fb1ec6739ca6cd.jpg

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I know he's freaked out right now...but he may not come back. This is a guy used to performing at the highest level and may not want to after this. He sure sounded like it.

Bullmeister

Reaction score
Lots of people going to be unhappy if he does not return.

Anyone know how hard it is to recover from this kind of injury and play again as if it didn't happen?
ie. 100% recovery with no longer term issues

GeekHawk

Reaction score
A cracked tibia is way different from a 'thoroughly broken' tibia like I got in my last motorcycle wreck. I have a giant plate and a dozen screws holding mine together, but a crack should heal on its own with no lasting impact. He'll be in a cast for 6 weeks, probably in a walking cast for the last 2, not putting any weight on it for the first 4. Then physical therapy to get the leg strength back. A return in time for the Superb Owl would be a halfway realistic goal, I believe.

McGruff

Reaction score
GeekHawk":n8hvinok said:
A cracked tibia is way different from a 'thoroughly broken' tibia like I got in my last motorcycle wreck. I have a giant plate and a dozen screws holding mine together, but a crack should heal on its own with no lasting impact. He'll be in a cast for 6 weeks, probably in a walking cast for the last 2, not putting any weight on it for the first 4. Then physical therapy to get the leg strength back. A return in time for the Superb Owl would be a halfway realistic goal, I believe.

I'd place my money on Earl being done for the season.

As far as retirement goes? Earl is an odd duck. I could totally see him making an early exit.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Well he's out for the season, and therefor under no pressure to decide anything soon. We'll probably have to file this one away and check on it again in the offseason. It would be a big loss though.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
Despite all his starts, hasn't Earl been playing with injuries all year? He may be at the breaking point in terms of physical tolerance and frustration. He's had the brace on his arm and pectoral issues. This may be the final straw. I hope he recuperates the rest of this year and comes back 100% next season. We won't be the same without him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":37b8lrmc said:
Well he's out for the season, and therefor under no pressure to decide anything soon. We'll probably have to file this one away and check on it again in the offseason. It would be a big loss though.

6 weeks is the Hawks first playoff game as a 2 seed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":3tecycga said:
Despite all his starts, hasn't Earl been playing with injuries all year? He may be at the breaking point in terms of physical tolerance and frustration. He's had the brace on his arm and pectoral issues. This may be the final straw. I hope he recuperates the rest of this year and comes back 100% next season. We won't be the same without him.

Just the hammy thing. Before that Earl had never missed a start.

So not sure where you get your "breaking point" theory. That play last night was nothing more than horrible luck.

Too much speculation going on, Pete and the Dr's probably won't even know what this all means for another week or two until more tests are done to see how severe the break/crack is.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
I mean it sucks that he won't return at all, but if he won't require any surgery I guess it's the best news we can get... I guess I'll take it

GeekHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2o1szdgw said:
GeekHawk":2o1szdgw said:

I'd place my money on Earl being done for the season.

As far as retirement goes? Earl is an odd duck. I could totally see him making an early exit.

I can't speak to what's in his head, but I've broken enough bones in enough ways over the years to know a lot more about the subject than I wish to! 6 weeks would be the minimum to get it out of the cast, and the muscles would have atrophied quite a bit by then so he more than likely couldn't get back in football shape before next year's OTAs. Unless they use some whiz-bang magnetic bone healer or something. I've heard of people using that tech, but never had it available for me.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Earl was in a great deal of pain when he Twitted that he might retire.

That is the problem with this generation....instant communication. Previous generations had time to think through their thoughts before communicating them to the world at large.

I guarantee that in five weeks...he'll be "chomping at the bit" to get back in the game. However, the medical staff may not let him play.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":unawey2o said:
Earl was in a great deal of pain when he Twitted that he might retire.

That is the problem with this generation....instant communication. Previous generations had time to think through their thoughts before communicating them to the world at large.

I guarantee that in five weeks...he'll be "chomping at the bit" to get back in the game. However, the medical staff may not let him play.

Great point Big...he's an emotional guy and this has to be just killing him not to be there with his mates. Hopefully he'll be ready to go next year and for several years after that.

Smellyman

Reaction score
When I am emotional and in a lot of pain, the first thing I do is grab my Twitter.

OP
OP
NJSeahawk

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/805930385318232064[/tweet]