Which Was The Bigger Loss?

• Earl Thomas

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • Rob Gronkowski

Votes: 34 49.3%

• Total voters

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Which loss is bigger, Earl or Gronk? These teams are likely the two favorites to make it to SB51, which absence will be more felt?

Discuss.

Hard to tell, but if I had to choose one I'd probably say Gronk just because he is such a dynamic player and nobody can replicate what he does.

Rat

Reaction score
Gronk is always hurt, that's why they had to bring in a good TE (Martellus Bennett) to back him up. This team is not used to playing without Earl.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think losing Earl is going to hurt us more. Losing Gronk doesn't really effect us at all.

BostonBlackie

Reaction score
Bennett is banged up.

Gronk gives us the big chunks of yardage during a drive. The 30, 40, yard plays. No Gronk, those plays become a lot scarcer.

Cartire

Reaction score
BostonBlackie":2a1mjuyh said:
Bennett is banged up.

Gronk gives us the big chunks of yardage during a drive. The 30, 40, yard plays. No Gronk, those plays become a lot scarcer.

It's definitely a huge loss for you guys, but you guys have shown for years that you can play just fine when he's injured. BB knows how to adjust the gameplan for the personal he has.

We've had exactly 1 1/2 games without ET on the field since 2010. While im not overly concerned, everyone in the league knows what ET does for our secondary and his loss will be noticeable. Look for teams to try and exploit Terrell constantly until he proves he's up to the task (or not).

BostonBlackie

Reaction score
Cartire":r9qsp4m8 said:
BostonBlackie":r9qsp4m8 said:
Bennett is banged up.

It's definitely a huge loss for you guys, but you guys have shown for years that you can play just fine when he's injured. BB knows how to adjust the gameplan for the personal he has.

We've had exactly 1 1/2 games without ET on the field since 2010. While im not overly concerned, everyone in the league knows what ET does for our secondary and his loss will be noticeable. Look for teams to try and exploit Terrell constantly until he proves he's up to the task (or not).

Points taken.

I'm rooting for both teams to make it. I want to see a repeat SB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BostonBlackie":1paxp0q9 said:
Bennett is banged up.

Yeah I'd say it wouldn't be AS big of a deal, but Bennett hasn't seemed right for weeks, and doesn't seem to be getting healthier.

Both are big losses, but IMO Gronk is a bigger loss because the Patriot's D isn't as strong as it's been in years past, so they NEED to score and control the ball. With a banged up Bennett and no Gronk that's going to be difficult going into the bad weather months and playoffs against good D's.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
You can definitely make arguments for both. Making this a poll is kind of like classic America, you have to choose one! Obviously both players will leave big holes on their respective teams.

I like the argument that some brought up about Earl only missing one game in his entire career, and Gronk having missed a lot of time. There is no doubt we are kind of headed into unknown waters, whereas the Pats have been here before. But the argument for Gronk is that he is easily the best player on that offense behind Tom Brady, and arguably the best non QB offensive player in the NFL. I'm not even sure if Earl would be considered our 2nd most important player on defense (Sherm? Wagner? Bennett? Kam?). Our defense is filled with superstars who can pick up the slack. As good as the Pats offense has looked this year, there aren't a ton of big name players on that offense after Tom Brady.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Amazing that the hit has led us to this point today with both out for the season.I would say if we meet in the SB it helps us more as Gronk is a giant pain in the ass to cover and is money in the RZ.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Gronk is a bigger loss. Their team relies on outscoring teams.

While Terrell is no Earl Thomas I don't think he as a significant drop off as we would have in other positions.

hawker84

Reaction score
Gronk is a one of a kind freak, but with Brady in there, any serviceable TE will do. Earl is elite in his position, but I think our defense is strong enough to keep going without losing much ground as long as the D line stays healthy. I'd have to give a slight edge to Gronk just because he's literally unstoppable. We made it back to the SB with not only half an Earl, but half an Earl, Kam and Sherm, and no nickel to speak of for 3/4 of the game, and still almost pulled it off?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
McGruff":3bqohkzo said:
I think losing Earl is going to hurt us more. Losing Gronk doesn't really effect us at all.

Since you stole my joke by being here earlier than me, I'm going to retaliate and point out that it's "affect" not "effect".

2_0_6

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2lav7t0w said:
Gronk is a bigger loss. Their team relies on outscoring teams.

While Terrell is no Earl Thomas I don't think he as a significant drop off as we would have in other positions.

This is my take as well.