Cam Newton vs Russell Wilson (short and brief)

byau

Reaction score
At least three "bonehead" plays by Cam Newton upon a second viewing

1) I believe 2nd quarter: Cam drops back: Play is whistled dead upon drop back, Cam throws the ball behind him about 10 yards and a Seahawk player (Lane?) goes and gets it.... freebie TD if no whistle.

Sure sure, you could say "well the whistle was blown dead"...but is that even something you want to enter in your QB's mind? What if he just thought it was blown dead and really wasn't?

Oh wait ..

2) Sometime in the 3rd quarter, I believe it was a 3rd and 10. Cam drops back. A flag is thrown, and everyone kind of stopped on the play as if it was blown dead, Cam airs one out WAY down field .. and WAY over the head of his receiver with a similar strange nonchalance as the play i mentioned above. So way overhead that his receiver doesn't play all the way through and stops up. The Seahawk covering him stops up with him. And one more Seahawk in the secondary covering back there puts in a half-effort to chase the ball down.

Guess what .. it was NOT blown dead. It was a flag (illegal formation I think?) on the offense. But because Cam basically just threw the ball away, the Seahawks were able to DECLINE the penalty leading to a 4th down (instead of if Cam had made play, the Seahawks could haven taken the penalty to make it 3rd and 15)

And finally ...

3) Cam throws deep. Terrell intercepts. Unfortunately, flag thrown and as we find out it is a defensive PI. Which means .... Panthers get the ball at the spot of the ball. WAY downfield. Or at least it could have. But then during the run back Cam does an illegal clipping block on the return man and gets flagged .. OFFSETTING PENALTIES. So instead of moving the ball downfield about 30 yards, it's a REPLAY OF DOWNS

There are quite a few Cam fans on the board I assume, and to give benefit of the doubt, when Cam is dialed in, he is amazing. No matter what you think of his trash talking, dapping, or what have you, he has amazing physical attributes and when focused, he is a threat like no other. But it just happens that unfortunately for his team he checks out more often than you would like.

As opposed to Russell Wilson who stays focused and tuned in and while it looks kind of absurd at times, if he's going to error, he errors on the side of assuming the play is still alive.

I am grateful for our QB

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I think it was just the comparison of one trait that separates them. Of course we can make a long list, but it's true if Wilson makes a mistake he will do whatever it takes to try and fix it. Every time Wilson throws an interception he doesn't dodge it, he will go and tackle the defender and try to get the ball back.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
One is a leader and a champion. The other is a self centered choke artist p.o.s.

Comparison done.

sutz

Reaction score
One is headed to the playoffs, again. The other, not so much. ;)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":24af9i9m said:
One is a leader and a champion. The other is a self centered choke artist p.o.s.

Comparison done.
Thread winner right there! ^^^

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Remember when Matt Hasselbeck was flagged for a low block while making a tackle on an INT return in Superbowl XL? Same situation as the Cam flag.

Its such a wierd penalty.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":gc3jsx9a said:
Remember when Matt Hasselbeck was flagged for a low block while making a tackle on an INT return in Superbowl XL? Same situation as the Cam flag.

You can't go low on blockers during returns. It's seemingly far more dangerous given that they are probably running forward with a bit of pace.

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2r6pj6zu said:
XxXdragonXxX":2r6pj6zu said:

You can't go low on blockers during returns. It's seemingly far more dangerous given that they are probably running forward with a bit of pace.
And IIRC in Matt's case, he was actually trying to get through the blocker to the actual ball carrier. They were much closer in that one. Cam would have had to be 15 feet tall to reach the guy in that "block."

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Well hell, talk about bait & switch, I thought this thread was about which Quarterback wore -SHORTS-, and which one wore -BRIEFS- :smilingalien: :p

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
sutz":76pma8z6 said:
Uncle Si":76pma8z6 said:
XxXdragonXxX":76pma8z6 said:

And IIRC in Matt's case, he was actually trying to get through the blocker to the actual ball carrier. They were much closer in that one. Cam would have had to be 15 feet tall to reach the guy in that "block."

I thought he actuslly tripped up the returner. Looked almost exactly the same to me.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
scutterhawk":12nbnuvn said:
Well hell, talk about bait & switch, I thought this thread was about which Quarterback wore -SHORTS-, and which one wore -BRIEFS- :smilingalien: :p
Good one.

I thought it would be about Russell Wilson vs Cam Newton (physically short vs mentally brief) :p