Fieldgulls: Mike Morgan and how he did vs Panthers

Largent80

Reaction score
I started a thread last week about the importance of getting Morgan back. My biggest fear was the SAM position and when he got hurt it really shows the lack of depth.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think Mike Morgan's return might be equally as important as Bennett's only because the lack of true SAM behind Morgan. KPL is too fragile to play the line/set the edge. Croyle lacks elite length and expertise at a position he never played until this season. I think Marsh has potential due to his size but is better suited in aptitude as an edge rusher rather in space.

Mike Morgan brings it all... the aptitude, experience, size, length, athleticism, and strength.

Aptitude and Exp: Morgan as the article stated is in his 6th year, he's practiced and has played all 3 LBer spots and even spent a summer learning LEO. The guy is an all-around player that has earned considerable praise from all his coaches for his intelligence and versatility.

Size and Length: Morgan is listed from at 6'3, 226-230 but I wager hes closer to 240 than he is 230. The summer he spent getting LEO reps he added weight to about 245-250... so 235-240 seems about right. Still a tad undersized but much better than the 225 listed. Morgan from what I found has 34 5/8th arm length. So, at 6'3 hes long.

Athleticism and Strength: I can't get ds to load because low data. From what I remember Morgan was a high 4.4 guy, who put up quality measures all around including 27 or 28 reps on the bench. I think with age and added weight he's more mid 4.5s now. Which isn't slow, especially if your mind plays quick. See Wright, Sherman,Chancellor, Clemons, Bennett as examples.

Replacement: Morgan is not the special athlete Bruce Irvin was here but he's definitely no slouch. However, I feel minus Irvin's plus pass rush ability and elite size in co-relation to athleticism they are they bring similar things to the table. Can set the edge and play in space with above average ability. SAM in this system is a lot like a blocking TE in our offense. They arent going to stand out much, they'll be invisible 75% of thier snaps, but once you dont have a viable peice at that spot... You'll notice the weakness and the scheme start to falter and be exploited.

The one thing I feel Morgan definitely has over Irvin though is true LBer instincts. Aptitude. You can see it the way he easily flows to the ball. A natural ability that I've seen from him in every opportunity he's got to play. Irvin at times got caught up in the traffic and muck.

Morgan isn't a special player, he doesn't install fear with his hitting or has a tendency to make big splash plays on his own. He just a quietly dependable player that a coach can trust to do his job more often than not. He's not a player that will raise the ceiling but definitely a player that will raise the floor.

With Wagner and Wright playing like All-Pros, a player like Morgan compliments them even more so.

For Wright (more for Kris Richard), you have a guy in Morgan who you can swap strong side/weak side assignments with to confuse defenses or battle mis-matches.

For Wagner, I think it helps put him in the zone much more having dependable players he can trust on both sides of him. Where he doesn't try to overcompensate at times compromising his discilpline or scheme integrity. And if Morgan continues to show hes dependable coming back, this will allow Richard to dial up special plays for Wagner on 1st and 2nd down.

I don't know if many of you guys remember the Bears LBer Corps of the mid 2000s. Of course you do, many can't forget Lance Briggs and definitely not Brian Urlacher. (Side Note: When Wright moved to WLB, much to some ridicule, I said Wright had Briggs type potential as a WLB comparing that they had similar size, athleticism, and intelligence)

Back on track, the most forgettable name of that elite Bears LBer corps was Hunter Hillenmeyer. He wasn't "special"by any means, but he was a consistently dependable player, consummate teammate, who did his job and could be trusted. He didn't raise the ceiling, but he did raise the floor and he allowed Urlacher and Briggs to play their game at a consistently elite level of focus that allowed them to be dominant as they were.

I think that's what Morgan will bring to the table, his impact isn't going to come in the form as a splashy play-maker but as a dependable, trustworthy teammate that will allow Wagner and Wright to dominate much more consistently that what they are now. That's scary a thought that two of the best LBs in 2016 can still be even better. That's what I deduce Morgan to, he's our Hunter Hillenmeyer to Wagner's Urlacher and Wright's Briggs.

Losing Earl Thomas sucks but once Bennett is back to 100% relentlessness and with Morgan stabilizing the LBer corps, Seahawks arguably might have the best defensive front 7 heading into Play-Offs. That's going to help marginalize the loss of Earl and help the Secondary, imo, to still play at an elite level.

Dont get me wrong though as much as I love Morgan, he isn't a lockdown player by any means nor does he have that special size and athleticism like Irvin had to be a true difference maker on his own. In my opinion, the trade off is that Morgan won't make special plays but he also doesn't make boneheaded plays, if Morgan gets beat its more often he got outplayed rather than making a mistake i.e. reading the play wrong, being out of position, fumbling his assignment. He's also a reasonable upgrade, more complete player over the other 3-4 guys Seahawks have been rolling with in his abscence. He lacks elite size but hes long, strong, athletic enough with the instincts, intelligence, experience, and overall aptitude to be a quality asset. And definately the type of LBer/football player/person that Lofa Tatupu could get to over-achieve in his image somewhat not that Morgan is athletically limited as Tatupu was. But I do credit Tatupu somewhat and Barrows too for the strong seasons Wagner and Wright are having as well as coaching up those guys who have been filling in at SAM.

Who knows Morgan could have the same impact as Malcolm Smith did in 2013 ending the season but be even better suited as run defender/edge setter.

McGruff

Reaction score
I like Morgan. Jack of all trades.

But as important as Bennett? Nope, not buying it on two counts.

First, Bennett is a pass rusher.

Second, SAM is role position that plays 15-20% of total defensive snaps.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
McGruff":ba87xfh7 said:
I like Morgan. Jack of all trades.

But as important as Bennett? Nope, not buying it on two counts.

First, Bennett is a pass rusher.

Second, SAM is role position that plays 15-20% of total defensive snaps.

To clarify, equally as important in stabilizing his position group and creating dependability and depth more so than having the equal impact on the field.

Obviously, Bennett is a superstar in his own right and Morgan is more of a solid role player. I just think both will be important in improving their position groups. The equal part in my statement to explain further was more praising Frank Clark and Cliff Avril in Bennett's absence and Morgan really being the only LB that is a complete SAM on this team not named KJ Wright. With Morgan as a player who is capable of improving the LBer play even more so over the players that were filling that spot in his absence.

RW92

Reaction score
Mike Morgan will be just fine. Don't underestimate his talent. Has great closure to the ball.

Watch for him to have great impact in the playoffs.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Well said/told P.H., well said indeed

Thank you for the fine contribution, and Imlookmforwardmmto more.

FWIW, I am a big fan of Morgan and he doing the job to the extent Wags doesNOT have to worry about doing both jobs

M. M.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I haven't reviewed stats, but to the eye test at least the last game was enough to prove to me that Morgan is much better at SAM than Coyle or anyone else we've seen out there, and that's all that really matters.

Polk738

Reaction score
I really don't think its coincidence that we haven't been setting the edge as well as we have in the past as soon as Morgan went down.

Seafan

Reaction score
It's obvious how important he is to the defense. Making him the IR returnee says a lot.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seafan":30aeqhpd said:
It's obvious how important he is to the defense. Making him the IR returnee says a lot.

I think it also says something about how then we were and are at thr position.

I like Morgan. He's a solid role player who excels at his small, defined role. But make no mistake, he was in a heated battle for his position becuase they want someone dynamic there. He's not dynamic. He's a solid player who does what he is asked to do.

Mike Morgan is the Jermaine Keare of the defense. And that's a good thing.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Morgan strikes me as being a bigger body with longer reach to set the edge in the run game and why I feel the LB unit as whole is better with him in the lineup.

I was going to set a new topic for this but shall tag onto this discussion of Morgan playing SAM, but despite following NFL avidly over 10 years, I've never really understood the differences between the SAM and Weak side LBs in terms of responsibilities and what characteristics players should have in each role? I naively assumed they both had the same role either side of the Mike but expect someone to crush that assumption with the reality...

McGruff

Reaction score
Followthelegion":i0vjuejt said:
Morgan strikes me as being a bigger body with longer reach to set the edge in the run game and why I feel the LB unit as whole is better with him in the lineup.

I was going to set a new topic for this but shall tag onto this discussion of Morgan playing SAM, but despite following NFL avidly over 10 years, I've never really understood the differences between the SAM and Weak side LBs in terms of responsibilities and what characteristics players should have in each role? I naively assumed they both had the same role either side of the Mike but expect someone to crush that assumption with the reality...

The way Pete Carroll runs the defense is a 4-3 with elements of a 3-4.

The difference between the two OLB position can best be described in 3-4 terms.

The SAM usually plays in a stand up position on the line of scrimmage to the TE side. He has two main jobs . . . Hold the edge verses the run and rush the passer. He will occasionally drop into zones, but that will usually come from a more traditional, off the LOS look. Consider that our starting SAM players have been Irvin and Morgan, two guys who also played extensively as LEO linemen. Consider that they also gave Marsh a shot there. They want a guy who is long and strong and has pass rushing ability to play that position. A guy who can play linebacker like a ljneman. It's a hybrid position.

Think of the LEO the as the opposite side player from the SAM; the other outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense if you will. And they often have a similar skill set to the SAM.

On the other linebakcer is the WILL. The WILL often plays more like an inside linebacker. They play off the LOS and often behind the defensive line. They have more zone coverage ability and more instincts for reading and reacting to the play in front of them. Wright fits this to a T. He's our best coverage backer, despite being our slowest LB. He's big enough to hold up in the trash and smart enough to read and respond.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
McGruff":2rh9kcaa said:
Followthelegion":2rh9kcaa said:

The SAM usually plays in a stand up position on the line of scrimmage to the TE side. He has two main jobs . . . Hold the edge verses the run and rush the passer. He will occasionally drop into zones, but that will usually come from a more traditional, off the LOS look. Consider that our starting SAM players have been Irvin and Morgan, two guys who also played extensively as LEO linemen. Consider that they also gave Marsh a shot there. They want a guy who is long and strong and has pass rushing ability to play that position. A guy who can play linebacker like a ljneman. It's a hybrid position.

Think of the LEO the as the opposite side player from the SAM; the other outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense if you will. And they often have a similar skill set to the SAM.

On the other linebakcer is the WILL. The WILL often plays more like an inside linebacker. They play off the LOS and often behind the defensive line. They have more zone coverage ability and more instincts for reading and reacting to the play in front of them. Wright fits this to a T. He's our best coverage backer, despite being our slowest LB. He's big enough to hold up in the trash and smart enough to read and respond.

Thanks for this, really helpful. Watching coverage (as a UK based fan) of the US networks, this level of detail doesn't appear to get mentioned on a lot of broadcasts, regarding specific positions and formations. I assume because there simply isn't enough time to analyse the formations on both sides and then provide colour commentary. I find Collingsworth quite good in this regard admittedly (most of the forum seem to despise the guy!).

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I have a feeling Mike Morgan will be a coach one day. He seems to communicate well, and the coaching staff loves him. I've heard he's not just high effort, but also brings it in the locker room.

McGruff

Reaction score
RockinHawks":1zbue27y said:
I have a feeling Mike Morgan will be a coach one day. He seems to communicate well, and the coaching staff loves him. I've heard he's not just high effort, but also brings it in the locker room.

I think you are correct. The try hard, technically sound, assignment correct players that fly under the radar as players often make the best coaches.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Followthelegion":3qmqyp98 said:
McGruff":3qmqyp98 said:
Followthelegion":3qmqyp98 said:

Thanks for this, really helpful. Watching coverage (as a UK based fan) of the US networks, this level of detail doesn't appear to get mentioned on a lot of broadcasts, regarding specific positions and formations. I assume because there simply isn't enough time to analyse the formations on both sides and then provide colour commentary. I find Collingsworth quite good in this regard admittedly (most of the forum seem to despise the guy!).

Yeah you are not going to get much from TV. Some shows will give you tidbits of informed information here and there but not very much. They will talk a lot without really saying much. You don't come away saying, "I just learned a lot about football".

To be honest this is probably one of the best places to learn about football. There are so many ideas, facts and opinions discussed here as well as some good minds.