Why is Russ regressing?

OpHawk

Reaction score
O-line

I think most of us are undervaluing the impact this offensive line has had on Russell's progress. Yes we all regularly bitch about the O-line and rightfully so. But I feel like what is going a bit under the radar is how damaging the offensive line has been to Russell's development as a pro QB. We've been spoiled by his ability to take bad situations and make great of them. He's been incredible at that, but in spurts and small doses. The yearly decay of the offensive line is really showing itself here. It's not hard to envision how having zero confidence in your pass protection on a game by game basis can lead you down a path of dwindling performance. I think it is mentally near-crippling him. This season has been a new low for this team offensively with Russ and I think that starts at the foundation of the offense, the O line.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We never know how the OL will do, from week to week. With all the split-second decisions Russell has to make, now he has to always be wondering which guy whiffs (usually Fant) and that has to screw with his concentration. GB seemed to have a good scheme for attacking our O-Line weaknesses.

evergreen

Reaction score
But Russell was off from the beginning. And this line is better than last year. And he's not hurt anymore. Jimmy Graham was so freaking wide open! Not even close.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Russell is suffering from Rick Mirer syndrome.

He's seeing ghost's and hearing footsteps and now he's panicking at the moment the ball is hiked.

I'd like to blame the OL, but some of his passes have just been nothing but a prayer.

Msfann

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1j8jv1wg said:

He's seeing ghost's and hearing footsteps and now he's panicking at the moment the ball is hiked.

I'd like to blame the OL, but some of his passes have just been nothing but a prayer.

I'm sure he'll be fine but this entire year he's had that look in his eyes like hes taken a few bad shots and is a little gun shy. I wouldnt be surprised to hear in a couple of years that he was more hurt than we knew about this year.

I'll still take him over any other qb though.

Ozzy

Reaction score
evergreen":1a3xm2so said:
But Russell was off from the beginning. And this line is better than last year. And he's not hurt anymore. Jimmy Graham was so freaking wide open! Not even close.

This line is not better than last year lol

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
If what you're trying to do is pinpoint the most obvious and yes the most impactful piece of the equation, I'd be inclined to agree with you. However I would counter that no progression is linear, nor is any regression and one year ago RW was playing with a worse OLine and was playing at an historic level. Injuries, RB turnstile (drastically affected the consistency of gameplanning), and more pressure on the offense to score due to a defense barely holding onto its own legacy...all has a great deal to do with this season's outcome thus far.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Lots of factors, not just the line.

It's shocking to me that neither Kearse nor Lockett have a SINGLE TD catch this season. It's really Baldwin or bust for our WRs.

Russ missed three likely TDs today. He is Jekyll and Hyde, but his really bad games have mostly been on the road.

13 TDs through 13 games? Glad I didn't put money on that before the season.

cymatica

Reaction score
evergreen":ruciqd16 said:

Don't know if the line is better than last year. The tackle play is much worse, while the interior may be better. They seem more inconsistent this year. Not to mention, once again, completely different line with different tendencies. Every year Wilson has been here, the line has progressively gotten worse, while changing personnel. There is no way itit's not affecting him.

Tom Cable eithet needs to be stripped of his offensive line coach duties, or he has got to go. Or find someone than can spot good linemen in the draft that he can work with. Hell, maybe we just need a couple vets from other teams that already know what they are doing
I

OP
OP
OpHawk

OpHawk

Reaction score
I guess my point is the accumulating effects of a continually regressing Oline. It's having a greater impact of what this team is at it's core. It's like a disease filtering out into the greater body of the team.

Russ just looks shellshocked to me. He knows every snap has a real chance to be disastrous never knowing where it's gonna come from. No confidence or ability to be comfortable in the offense.

rcaido

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2q4mt3d0 said:

It's shocking to me that neither Kearse nor Lockett have a SINGLE TD catch this season. It's really Baldwin or bust for our WRs.

Russ missed three likely TDs today. He is Jekyll and Hyde, but his really bad games have mostly been on the road.

He's been injured half the season...instead throwing for td's we run the ball in. Wilson doesn't care about stats, just the w. Everything just went wrong today. I don't think he's regressing, he is still qb who I want with the ball when going for the win 4th quarter .

We still first in our division despite our injuries. We are better position then the hot mess last year.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
One of Petes biggest downfalls in the way he coaches is the idea that he can replace anyone, with anyone else and get the same consistency and results. I love Pete as a head coach and think hes great at what he does but I think the one way he and I differ is the ability to call a spade a spade and move on if someone is under performing. Drafting projects like Irvin and Marsh and ultimately not paying the O line which draft wise 80% of those players picked have been nothing better than average and many that are below average is why we are where we are and probably why were seeing Russell Wilson have such a hard time scoring points and being consistant. Pete is a good coach but hes not Belichick and accepting that at this point is hard.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
rcaido":tk5tm20b said:
FlyingGreg":tk5tm20b said:

He's been injured half the season...instead throwing for td's we run the ball in. Wilson doesn't care about stats, just the w. Everything just went wrong today. I don't think he's regressing, he is still qb who I want with the ball when going for the win 4th quarter .

We still first in our division despite our injuries. We are better position then the hot mess last year.

If we play at home, yes. On the road? No way.

24 points TOTAL in 3 road losses and a road tie. You can't just ignore that and say, "bad game".

One or two, maybe. But four bad games is not an anomaly, it's a bad trend.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1jphep94 said:

This happened to Alex Smith and Kaepernick. Took Smith years to get over it

rcaido

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":osq3whz2 said:
rcaido":osq3whz2 said:
FlyingGreg":osq3whz2 said:

24 points TOTAL in 3 road losses and a road tie. You can't just ignore that and say, "bad game".

I dont know, this is the first game where he was mostly responsible for the game loss. The other 3 games he was injured or the Oline were just absolute garbage. You cant just put the blame on Wilson regressing, how about Baldwin? How about our rushing? Our defense? Why just say Wilson?

Wilson can still get 4,000 yards despite being injured half the season. Worse O-line from last year & our running game has been terrible too.

I think Wilson will finish strong! Guys need to believe!

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Russ feels better. He can run almost like before if he wants. He is suffering from fight or flight. He wants to run, he knows he should stay in the pocket. The pocket is small he feels constricted. His footwork doesn't look good to me. The lower half wants to get the hell out of the pocket and try to make something happen and his brain is telling him to stay poised and throw. Wilson never has been this inaccurate. He is hearing footsteps.

Not to mention his receivers were getting next to nothing for separation because it was on slick grass.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
storm74":3vcoasdq said:
Russ feels better. He can run almost like before if he wants. He is suffering from fight or flight. He wants to run, he knows he should stay in the pocket. The pocket is small he feels constricted. His footwork doesn't look good to me. The lower half wants to get the hell out of the pocket and try to make something happen and his brain is telling him to stay poised and throw. Wilson never has been this inaccurate. He is hearing footsteps.

Not to mention his receivers were getting next to nothing for separation because it was on slick grass.
Great point. His footwork was horrible today. Severe happy feet syndrome.
Maybe they need to do more designed rollouts?

When his recieivers were getting seperation he over or under threw them.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1j6ji3zp said:
rcaido":1j6ji3zp said:
FlyingGreg":1j6ji3zp said:

35 points in 4 road losses and 1 tie, weirdly bad. Thats 7 points per game.

3 @ LA
6 @ AZ
13 @ NO
3 @ TB
10 @ GB
---
27 @ NYJ

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
storm74":196e3kz9 said:

At least 24 points were left on the board from the offense.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Bringing a Celebrity wife into his life along with all her baggage. Just wait till the baby is born. He is going to fall down fast. No time to sleep because of other reasons other than football!