Grass vs FieldTurf

hinton

Reaction score
It seems like this team really struggles when we're not playing on artificial grass.

This year (so far) @GB @Tampa @LA @Arizona
Last year: @Carolina @SF(W) @Arizona(W) @GB @Min(W)

Combine a grass field with either a long flight or adverse weather (or both) and our record is very poor.

We've won a few in there, but few were convincing and SF aren't exactly competitive.

Fortunately, this year @SF is our only grass game left including playoff scenarios (I believe), This teams is able to beat anyone, anywhere, especially on FieldTurf.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Their equipment people need to figure out the cleats or whatever. Seahawks players slip and fall way too much on grass.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I was just coming here to post this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/808097637501018112[/tweet]

Our receivers get slower and sloppier, and Russell Wilson overthrows them. Plus our pass rush slows down.

You can't blame 10am. Neither the Jets nor Bucs games were 10am.

You can't blame the road. We honestly haven't had tremendous road problems under Wilson, and we handed both the Jets and Patriots a loss on the road.

OP
OP
hinton

hinton

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ypkl3b4 said:

Those stats are alarming!

Hopefully our grass issues won't be a factor for the rest of the year (if we do what we should @SF).

12thbrah

Reaction score
HawkGA":319go2z3 said:
Their equipment people need to figure out the cleats or whatever. Seahawks players slip and fall way too much on grass.

this was very apparent. Seems like the Packers receivers were always open because the nearest defender would slip or fall and couldn't recover in time.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Great post, seems to be a valid trend. Whether the issue is equipment (cleats) or just the slower field, it is definitely a problem with this team. Fortunately, if the Hawks get the 2 seed there would be no grass fields to contend with.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Never thought about the team struggling. I know Hausch money has had some of his worst games on natural grass.

Wagner had a terrible drive slipped on 2 or 3 plays in a row.

Sucks,,,

fenderbender123

Reaction score
There are various grass fields in the Seattle area. Maybe start practicing on them?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I can understand that it might slow them down a bit, but to be completely derailed like they have been really is just not acceptable. They are pro football players. They need to able to perform on grass.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Equipment managers, Pete, players, need to better prepare for this! This is a recurring theme from the San Diego game a couple of years ago! They don't place enough emphasis on different field conditions! It DOES matter!

Hauschka had multiple shoes for the field conditions, he figured out which one worked best at the beginning, and did well.

The rest of the team were on skates.!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":sk3nzuxn said:
There are various grass fields in the Seattle area. Maybe start practicing on them?
Am I wrong, fender, but aren't the majority of the practice fields in Renton grass?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1pitpfte said:
fenderbender123":1pitpfte said:
Am I wrong, fender, but aren't the majority of the practice fields in Renton grass?

I don't know. Maybe we already practice on grass. If so, there is really no excuse.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":36jgaprk said:
fenderbender123":36jgaprk said:

Yes, they are grass, though Hawks will often utilize the indoor facility for pre-game practices during the season, so perhaps limited practice on WET grass is a culprit?

The outdoor facility, which is fantastic, is used primarily during the dry summer months when the grass conditions are pristine. (I wish my yard could look so good.)

semiahmoo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2f6308ct said:

Our receivers get slower and sloppier, and Russell Wilson overthrows them. Plus our pass rush slows down.

You can't blame 10am. Neither the Jets nor Bucs games were 10am.

You can't blame the road. We honestly haven't had tremendous road problems under Wilson, and we handed both the Jets and Patriots a loss on the road.

Thank you for this. Something I had not considered. Does appear to point to a contributing factor in this team's manic approach to road game performance.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":215rsq7g said:
fenderbender123":215rsq7g said:
I think you are correct, as least some are grass.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Grass vs FieldTurf? I bet Grass pummels FieldTurf. She's coached by Mother Nature for God's sake.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":8zlzi134 said:
Siouxhawk":8zlzi134 said:
fenderbender123":8zlzi134 said:

Yup - grass practice fields. Beautiful grass, but rarely used during wet season in favor of the indoor facility which is pretty awesome. And don't get me started on that weight room complex.

Paul Allen spent a few $$$ on that place, and it is fan-freakin'-tastic.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2fq8wumx said:
fenderbender123":2fq8wumx said: