Poor pass rush due to poor OL?

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Pretty simple question. Is practicing against a poor offensive line not pushing our pass rushers hard enough?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
You think the Hawks D is top ten in sacks in the NFL because they have a bad o line?

Doesn't make sense. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I'm saying every our pass rushers practice against a bad o line. If you practice against poor competition, you can be ill prepared when you face a good one. Anyone can see our pass rush has regressed.

bighawk

Reaction score
I disagree I think everyone is all for there own individual stats and not about team. They play better at home. We need speed rushers in the draft next year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
johnnyfever":24o3aq9x said:
I'm saying every our pass rushers practice against a bad o line. If you practice against poor competition, you can be ill prepared when you face a good one. Anyone can see our pass rush has regressed.

The Hawks are ninth in sacks and 8th in hurries, though.

If the offensive line is hurting them they're hurting them into being a top 10 pass rushing team in the league.

Across an average year an average team is getting about 2.4 sacks a game. They haven't regressed in the past couple weeks, it's just a statistic that ebbs and flows.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
johnnyfever":otzg3c04 said:

In the last three games, perhaps. Before which they were leading the league in pass rush against an OL that was arguably worse at the time.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pass rush gets worse when you have undersized guys that rely on speed playing on a surface that limits speed and playing constantly so they are exhausted and suddenly have to start picking their spots just to stay on the field.

The biggest obstacle we face is that when the offense has a down day, the defense throughout the year continually picks things up and often keeps the game close enough we can win at the end.

When the defense has a down day? We lose.

The offense is bad. And frankly it has been all year. This is nothing new.

Now the defense has problems and because we have an offense that isn't earning its keep (whether because of a couple of players or a particular coach/coordinator) we are in trouble. If the defense figures out how to play effectively with the loss of Thomas? Maybe we stand a shot.

But when the defense needs help, the offense is sure to make the problem worse. Very rarely has the offense been consistent, I suppose we have to look back to the Steelers game to see a good showing. The 500yds+ we put up on the Panthers looked more like an indictment of their defense than a validation of our offense.

Then again, I strongly believe that our offense has been a problem for a while, and maybe that is coloring my view.