Substitution Rule

Millen Hawk

Reaction score
I hate to ask this question because I should know the answer. What is the substitution rule? Yesterday Rogers snapped the ball quickly to try and draw a penalty against us. One time it backfired. Over the past years there have many times when the Hawks march down the field in hurry up mode but one of the refs stands over the ball and waits for the other team to substitute.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Millen Hawk":wtkmtya7 said:
I hate to ask this question because I should know the answer. What is the substitution rule? Yesterday Rogers snapped the ball quickly to try and draw a penalty against us. One time it backfired. Over the past years there have many times when the Hawks march down the field in hurry up mode but one of the refs stands over the ball and waits for the other team to substitute.

If the offense makes a substitution, the defense has to have the opportunity to substitute.

The referees are standing over the ball when the offense has made a substitution -- they are required, I believe, to stand there until the play clock has 10 seconds left, or until the defense has clearly finished substituting.

I think all that's right, anyway.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
BocciHawk":2gjumtvx said:
Millen Hawk":2gjumtvx said:

If the offense makes a substitution, the defense has to have the opportunity to substitute.

The referees are standing over the ball when the offense has made a substitution -- they are required, I believe, to stand there until the play clock has 10 seconds left, or until the defense has clearly finished substituting.

Yup, believe that is right if memory serves...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1yfaqab6 said:
BocciHawk":1yfaqab6 said:
Millen Hawk":1yfaqab6 said:

This is true, I remember a few years back when some teams were doing it on a regular basis (just as Rodgers likes doing now), and some defenders would feign an injury, and throw a wrench in the Offensive hurry up....I also remember a few times when an Offensive player would fake injury to try and get the Defense to back off on swarm blitzes.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a very simple solution.

Fake injury.

You can only sub out the injured player but it removes the tempo issue entirely. Plus it gives your defense a breather.

I am and always will be a huge fan of faking injury. In fact, I believe that faking injury against a hurry up offense originated here. Joe Nash and the trick knee, to be specific.

HawkGA

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3os2kuof said:
semiahmoo":3os2kuof said:
BocciHawk":3os2kuof said:
Millen Hawk":3os2kuof said:

This is true, I remember a few years back when some teams were doing it on a regular basis (just as Rodgers likes doing now), and some defenders would feign an injury, and throw a wrench in the Offensive hurry up....I also remember a few times when an Offensive player would fake injury to try and get the Defense to back off on swarm blitzes.

Some defenders? Some? You can't be more specific than that? *cough* Nash *cough*