Firing Coach on Short Week

HawkGA

Reaction score
There is already a thread in the NFL Forum on JF's firing but I wanted to get a thread focused specifically on our game this week.

I admit I was bummed at his firing this week in no small part because my perception is that teams tend to play better, at least initially, for a new coach. Not what I wanted to see this week from the Rams. That being said, it is a short week. How big of a deal do you think the coaching change will be? Do the Rams lay down because of it? Or is there simply not enough time for the new coach to be prepared come Thursday? Or do they come out guns blazing for the new coach and potentially a new coaching philosophy the Hawks aren't prepared for?

edogg23

Reaction score
They won't be as well prepared to play the Seahawks due to it but honestly it doesn't matter. The Seahawks are a far superior team, especially at home and if we handle our business we are going to win, period. It we come in passive and afraid to lose hoping to just keep it close then it starts to factor in and at that point we really don't deserve a W anyways.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Their interim HC was their ST coach. You would think they would promote their OC or DC to HC position. They promoted their ST coach. Still they have Aaron Donald as their DT and against this OL, that could be enough to cause problems for the Seahawks.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
The game plan will not change for them. It is too short of a time to change things. They will come out guns a blazing for their "owl" against us as usual. Expect some trickery as their special teams coach is now their interim head coach. But play to our strengths and we may pull it off.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I think the team will lose that usual "edge" they seem to have when they play us because I feel that was driven by Fisher. Remember that Williams is still in place as the DC, so expect the usual cheap shots and late hits. Russ really needs to keep his head on a swivel.

Largent80

Reaction score
The way I see it is the Hawks are pissed. Pissed at losing 3 in a row to them and PISSED at their own performance. This will be a battle of wills.

classicaaron

Reaction score
I don't care if Belichick is coaching the team on Thursday, there is no excuse to lose to a team this terrible. Seattle has everything to play for, the rams have nothing. that should in no way give the rams any advantage. I don't want any new coaches excuses, bad weather, trick plays, short week or any other excuse used. bottom line is the rams are terrible and no way should the hawks lose. if they do coaching or players need to be held responsible and fired or benched.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Little or no game impact. Fire a coach this late in the season, add in short week, usually an act of desperation.

In this case it is more of a mercy firing, or good old JF would have set the bar so damn low no one would ever even sniff it. :p

chris98251

Reaction score
Fassel has been a Head Coach, Williams runs the defense, we won't see anything different, players are either going to throw in the towel or play lights out and above their heads, everyone now has a Pink Slip waiting with a New Coach coming in and they all want to secure a job or keep one, that's players and staff.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2m0957y3 said:
Fassel has been a Head Coach, Williams runs the defense, we won't see anything different, players are either going to throw in the towel or play lights out and above their heads, everyone now has a Pink Slip waiting with a New Coach coming in and they all want to secure a job or keep one, that's players and staff.
Wait Chris, has this Fassel been a head coach before? I remember Jim Fassel with the Giants and I figure this special teams guy is a son or something. But I could be wrong.

Seafan

Reaction score
If the Hawks are better they will win. If they deserve to be in the playoffs they will. You are what your record says you are. If the defense is the best scoring defense in the league it will say so in the numbers at the end of the season. If you deserve a first round bye you'll earn it. If you are one and done in the playoffs....

Hawks46

Reaction score
Many times when facing a new coach, he might install something you haven't seen on film. There's an unpredictability factor here, but I don't think the former ST coach has it in him to pull something out of his ass.

That said it's the same OC and DC, and they didn't really have time to install anything new, and if they try against our defense at home....it's going to go very badly for them. The only thing I can honestly think would be different would be the coach telling the OC and QB that they plan on attacking deep against Terrell instead of going overly conservative and throwing short a lot. Even then...we still know their offense.

I think it hurts the team, there's not enough time to adjust. We honestly should curb stomp them and light their ass on fire. Especially losing as much as we have to them and coming off of last game's performance.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1q3sev4d said:
Their interim HC was their ST coach. You would think they would promote their OC or DC to HC position. They promoted their ST coach. Still they have Aaron Donald as their DT and against this OL, that could be enough to cause problems for the Seahawks.

ST coach would be my appointee in the majority of cases. Let the coordinators coach their personnel and have ST coach manage the game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":hazavqbm said:
chris98251":hazavqbm said:
Wait Chris, has this Fassel been a head coach before? I remember Jim Fassel with the Giants and I figure this special teams guy is a son or something. But I could be wrong.

I thought it was the same guy, not many Fassels around, could be his son though. Was going off memory, which some of you could consider Fossilized :)

RedAlice

Reaction score
chris98251":1roh48l4 said:
Siouxhawk":1roh48l4 said:
chris98251":1roh48l4 said:

I thought it was the same guy, not many Fassels around, could be his son though. Was going off memory, which some of you could consider Fossilized :)

The Rams Special Teams Coordinator, Fassel: Bones.

He's a cool dude. Probably one of the best on the Rams staff. His father was a Head Coach for the Giants.

He has never been a head coach himself, and asked during interviews if he would be head coach, he said No.

He is probably one of the smartest and best we have. Hence why he is interim. The players respect him. How can they not - he is the best of the team and the players also love Hekker (obviously).

He is handling the last three games.

eta: he is also the guy who loves fake punts, the special teams mastermind.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Thanks Alice,hope things work out for you guys but not Thursday night and not with our Headcoach :irishdrinkers:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This coaching move just may wake the Rams up b/c they've been sleepwalking for quite a while now. The Rams will however be running into a team that is PO'd about what happened in GB and what happened to start the year. I think it could turn into a long painful day for them, awake or not.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Rams are far from talentless. They just have the same problem they've had since 2007: no quarterback. Fisher was amazing at beating us without one, but I wonder whether the ST coach will have the same chutzpah.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
If the Hawks can't find the chutzpah to beat these,now ,in this situation,at home,handsomely,we need to start forgetting about this season and thinking about the next.But i'm sure they can.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
We need a high point differential. Builds confidence and evens out the 22 points above our record gb gave us last week. No one remembers who made it to the playoffs in 55, but we have heard about the browns defense all season. Play for the record. Keep our offense on the field, rush the passer. Get it done 49 to 0 would be awesome

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Latest posts