Are we no longer road warriors?

RiverDog

Reaction score
One of the big differences between Pete's teams and both Holmgren and Knox era teams is that Pete's teams always at least played well enough to win when on the road. This season, our absolute worst performances of the Pete Carroll era have come on the road (vs. Rams, Cards, Saints, Bucs, and not Packers) and not all have come against quality opponents.

Yet at home, we've routed opponents (vs. SF, Car, Philly) and even when we didn't bring our 'A' game (Miami, Buffalo, Atlanta) we've played well enough to win.

So have we lost that edge that used to set Pete's teams apart from former playoff quality Seahawk teams?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":oye6luuz said:
One of the big differences between Pete's teams and both Holmgren and Knox era teams is that Pete's teams always at least played well enough to win when on the road. This season, our absolute worst performances of the Pete Carroll era have come on the road (vs. Rams, Cards, Saints, Bucs, and not Packers) and not all have come against quality opponents.

Yet at home, we've routed opponents (vs. SF, Car, Philly) and even when we didn't bring our 'A' game (Miami, Buffalo, Atlanta) we've played well enough to win.

So have we lost that edge that used to set Pete's teams apart from former playoff quality Seahawk teams?

It doesn't matter if we are or not. The narrative will be we suck on the road until we prove otherwise. Understandably so.

sutz

Reaction score
With the exception of the Saints, I believe all of those teams we lost to play on grass fields. That probably has as much to do with it as anything else.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
sutz":u5zyqfcl said:
With the exception of the Saints, I believe all of those teams we lost to play on grass fields. That probably has as much to do with it as anything else.

Think you're on to something. Those grass-game stats appear to point to that playing surface having some impact.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We were road warriors because of two things, nasty defense and a run game...........those two facets of a football team travel, and travel well.

Now those two parts of this team aren't very strong right now, especially the run game. So now we're having the same problem that teams without a good defense and run game have when they come to the Clink, having to play from behind trying to pass the ball in a loud hostile environment.

sutz

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2y8q3esa said:
sutz":2y8q3esa said:

Think you're on to something. Those grass-game stats appear to point to that playing surface having some impact.
We're a speed team. Any variation in the playing surface would have an effect. I guess the big thing for me is I don't get lost in trying to psycho-analyze the players, coaches, etc. ;)

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
sutz":28twzhq4 said:

In the previous 3 seasons, we not only beat the Cards on their natural grass field, we beat the living daylights out of them. This season, even though the Cards aren't half the team they were in the past 3 years, we struggle.

At New Orleans, they play on Field Turf, yet we struggle.

Our defense plays well on grass vs. the Rams, Cards, and Bucs yet against the Packers it suddenly becomes a factor?

Sorry, I ain't buying it.

stang233

Reaction score
They practice on grass outside at the vmac. It is just a silly coincidence.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
stang233":1cb1vsov said:
They practice on grass outside at the vmac. It is just a silly coincidence.

idk, when you have a smaller finesse D-line that gets it's edge pressure from speed rushing and quickness inside with Bennett and Clark, grass definitely makes a difference.

So not hard to draw that conclusion with this version of the Hawk's D-line not having much success rushing the passer on grass.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
I watched a silly amount of footage from during TC this year and the most enduring memory was my surprise at the massive grass divots left whenever Frank launched. Incredible.

Depending on the field then yes it may be a factor to some degree.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3m4jy0xj said:
I watched a silly amount of footage from during TC this year and the most enduring memory was my surprise at the massive grass divots left whenever Frank launched. Incredible.

Depending on the field then yes it may be a factor to some degree.

Did anyone else notice all the divots left in Arizona's natural grass field when we played them to a tie? As I recall, our D played pretty well against a formidable Cardinal offense (currently ranked 10th). Heck, Hauscka hates that field because of the footing.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Luckily for Seattle, their road to the super bowl won't leave Seattle. Which yes, is me leading on that Dallas will lose in the divisional round.

evergreen

Reaction score
throw out NO because the refs let them do illegal picks. Then evaluate the long snapper. We couldn't even get a field goal attempt OFF BEFORE THE HALF. Then miss a chip shot to win in AZ. Their guy missed because Bobby Wagner jumped the center again, WTF did we miss for? I think a lot of our problems would be gone if we could make some freakin field goals...

Largent80

Reaction score
Anyone know where to find injury stats on Grass vs. Field Turf?

BTW us FANS are definitely road warriors.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Steve2222":3ca5ah2a said:
Luckily for Seattle, their road to the super bowl won't leave Seattle. Which yes, is me leading on that Dallas will lose in the divisional round.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but it depends on who they play.

Obviously the Giants have their number, but Dallas handled the Skins fairly easy, and I don't think a soft team like the Lions would give them much trouble.

Now the Bucs? They're the playoff wildcard team this year, literally and figuratively. If they keep playing like they are? They're going to be handful for whoever they play.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Largent80":3fkyk79u said:

Out of curiosity I looked up peer reviewed articles on this once.

Studies are across a wide range of sports of course, but my takeaway was that it's an open question or there's really no difference.

Some found grass safer, some found turf safer, and some found no difference.

Further complicating matters is that what "turf" is always changes, and as shouldn't surprise anyone, turf manufacturers have a habit of funding studies that conspicuously always seem to find that turf is better.

End of the day, I'd say at best it's an open question and at worst it's much ado about nothing.

:2thumbs:

Largent80

Reaction score
Popeyejones":euzp5b95 said:
Largent80":euzp5b95 said:

Out of curiosity I looked up peer reviewed articles on this once.

Studies are across a wide range of sports of course, but my takeaway was that it's an open question or there's really no difference.

Some found grass safer, some found turf safer, and some found no difference.

Further complicating matters is that what "turf" is always changes, and as shouldn't surprise anyone, turf manufacturers have a habit of funding studies that conspicuously always seem to find that turf is better.

End of the day, I'd say at best it's an open question and at worst it's much ado about nothing.

:2thumbs:

Yeah I searched as well I was just hoping that some one had found a telling stat.

Hard to understand why the NFL requires players to wear certain socks, shoes or whatever, but allow playing surfaces to be different in every stadium. It gives advantages to certain teams. Yeah, the teams both play on the same field but it does tilt the field in favor of the home team in some cases.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":zqsvio1m said:
Steve2222":zqsvio1m said:

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but it depends on who they play.

Obviously the Giants have their number, but Dallas handled the Skins fairly easy, and I don't think a soft team like the Lions would give them much trouble.

Now the Bucs? They're the playoff wildcard team this year, literally and figuratively. If they keep playing like they are? They're going to be handful for whoever they play.

The Redskins have them all they could handle.....

Plus you're starting to see Dak hit the rookie wall. Factor in he has Romo looking over his shoulder it's got to be quite the distraction for this team and they're not battled tested in the playoffs. I think a one and done is a very real possibility for Dallas.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Maybe they need to review how they travel. Pete always says they have the travel thing figured out, but it's clear, at least this year, they don't.

I don't know if it makes any difference but on west coast trips the team travels on Friday after practice and doesn't arrive until around midnight/1am local time. They travel 4 - 6 hours, lose 2 - 3 hours in time zone and arrive in the middle of the night when they should be sleeping. That has to have some kind of impact.

Travel, time change, grass, communication, no run game.... Whatever it is they better figure it out because they stink on the road.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Yeah I searched as well I was just hoping that some one had found a telling stat.

Hard to understand why the NFL requires players to wear certain socks, shoes or whatever, but allow playing surfaces to be different in every stadium. It gives advantages to certain teams. Yeah, the teams both play on the same field but it does tilt the field in favor of the home team in some cases.[/quote]

Feel the same way. Go with league-approved turf. Level the playing field so it is most likely the best team wins. Home field advantage would be the power of the fans, as is so evident @ the Clink.