Regardless of how this season ends....

RussB

Reaction score
Do you think they will invest in the o line and actually put a lot of effort into it this offseason? I dont mean like this offseason, they got ifedi wich is a nice pick but other than that didnt do anything to help except for signing bradley foul and webb.

Even if they win it all this year, there needs to be some huge investments in the oline. Games are won and lost in the trenches and at the line of scrimmage, and they have big problems with that on offense and are very inconsistent. They need to release someone and sign a free agent or look for a trade for a pro bowl lineman enough is enough. We cant keep having basketball players and players playing out of position at tackle anymore.

Am i just beating a dead horse? Because i have a feeling pete wont do anything like always.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
RussB":t744svm3 said:
Do you think they will invest in the o line and actually put a lot of effort into it this offseason? I dont mean like this offseason, they got ifedi wich is a nice pick but other than that didnt do anything to help except for signing bradley foul and webb.

Even if they win it all this year, there needs to be some huge investments in the oline. Games are won and lost in the trenches and at the line of scrimmage, and they have big problems with that on offense and are very inconsistent. They need to release someone and sign a free agent or look for a trade for a pro bowl lineman enough is enough. We cant keep having basketball players and players playing out of position at tackle anymore.

Am i just beating a dead horse? Because i have a feeling pete wont do anything like always.

Hard to think this O-Line can help deliver a Super Bowl.
As to help coming, gonna take some moving of personnel to free up $$$$.

So who goes? Who stays?

Either way people will be unhappy. Interesting/Divisive off-season here we come!

sdog1981

Reaction score
Tom Cable has burned through almost 50 players. So I don't know that more of an investment you need before you start asking why one coach can't devliver. He has had the teams first draft pick 3/5 years he has been here.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
sdog1981":r5r4ykhq said:
Tom Cable has burned through almost 50 players. So I don't know that more of an investment you need before you start asking why one coach can't devliver. He has had the teams first draft pick 3/5 years he has been here.
Maybe cable needs to be fired then. I mean hes been given so many draft picks and hasnt really produced atleast an average o line for the team to have at the moment. They were at their best when they went to the SB the last time, since then its been downhill. The only way they are going to do that is by investing money or trading someone. All this makeshift crap cable is doing is going to get wilson seriously hurt.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1jveu2kg said:
RussB":1jveu2kg said:

So who goes? Who stays?

Either way people will be unhappy. Interesting/Divisive off-season here we come!
Kearse would be a necessary sacrifice even though i like him and hes a locker room vet. Maybe even letting someone like cliff or bennett go. Sacrifices have to be made, and they cant ignore the o line that is required to protect the franchise QB anymore. Its become the achilles heal of this team and a glaring weakness.

They can deal with letting bennett go, they cant deal with this line anymore.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think the starting 5 has promise.

Depth is a concern.

Obviously, you would like to get a vet to compete behind Farm and a draft pick or two.

If Odhiambo is the real deal I would kick Glo to RG and Ifedi to RG.

If the Seahawks hit on an RT in FA or draft leave LG and RG as is and have Odhi and others compete at LT.

I would like Sell to be retained on a vet min deal as insurance depth (hopefully camp fodder)

I think there are bigger fish to fry in this draft... DB depth is a concern with LOB on the decline.

I would love to see Budda Baker in the secondary... he would be a great depth player in the mold of Mathieu... start him in the slot, insurance for Thomas.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":26jdtk4w said:

Depth is a concern.

Obviously, you would like to get a vet to compete behind Farm and a draft pick or two.

If the Seahawks hit on an RT in FA or draft leave LG and RG as is and have Odhi and others compete at LT.

I would like Sell to be retained on a vet min deal as insurance depth (hopefully camp fodder)

I think there are bigger fish to fry in this draft... DB depth is a concern with LOB on the decline.

I would love to see Budda Baker in the secondary... he would be a great depth player in the mold of Mathieu... start him in the slot, insurance for Thomas.
Ifedi, Britt and glowinski have promise. Tackles need to be upgraded though .

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":30g5j2nl said:

Both of them should be able to handle it. Will the league take pity and let the Hawks have an extra OL? It might make things fair.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
At least a good LT. Russ is getting hammered on the blindside. I actually like Fant as he doesn't show the lazy tendencies that sowell and Gilliam have shown. If Fant can develop great, but I think he can at least be a backup next year to give him time. Sowell and Gilliam need to go, they are not even decent backups. The interior is doing much better.

My only newer jersey is a Bennett signed jersey. I love the guy, and would hate to see him go. He does more than just his actual position. He helps call coverages and defensive alignment, and is a smart player. I can see the logic on the other side of this argument as he will be expensive and I think clark can fill his positional role, but not his leadership one.

We will have to see where the cap comes out after the negotiations in the offseason with current players. They are going to have to make some tough decisions, and Bennett might be one of those. I think they keep Kam, I think kearse is cheap next year, but the following year he is probably gone.

I have never been a cable hater and have defended him as he has no money to invest in proven guys. Having said that, some good points have been made about how he has had a ton of draft picks, high ones even, that havent panned out. Maybe he is not the best talent evaluator, maybe he is not good at development, or maybe he sucks at both. I don't see Pete getting rid of bevell or cable though, so this migh be a moot point to bitch about.

The thing that scares me is they don't have anyone even near decent that they are developing right now. They should have a decent center prospect and 2 tackles with promise that should be on the PS right now, but instead they keep guys they know are trash around. If we have to deal with a bad OL, at least have a development program like we have on defense.

Reaction score
To be fair though some of those that we draft on the o-line have developed but they go to other teams during free agency.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":35asqjpz said:
To be fair though some of those that we draft on the o-line have developed but they go to other teams during free agency.
Exactly my point, they just let players on the OL go to pay someone else and never make it a priority , its coming back to bite them in the ass now. I honestly wouldnt even mind seeing them let bennett go as great as he is or trading him or a good pro bowl tackle.

Yes i know bennett is a beast but it must be done if it comes down to that.I dont want to see them pay bennett a new contract while wilson is left running around for his life behind the OL.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sowell's suck is a little overstated around here. He's shown some very nice run blocking tendencies.

I'm not opposed to going FA or draft for a high-priced tackle since we have cash to burn this next year, and some fresh competition at tackle is pretty likely in some form. But at the same time, if Pete and John go for another area of need with their big money instead, like WR, pass-rushing DT, or CB2, I won't be upset. Fant has upside. Sowell is holding his own. Rees Odhiambo is intriguing. And regardless of the mantras people trot out, this has never been a team that relies heavily on the OL for its success. It never has been.

Boycie

Reaction score
RussB":3308w432 said:
semiahmoo":3308w432 said:
RussB":3308w432 said:

So who goes? Who stays?

Kearse would be a necessary sacrifice even though i like him and hes a locker room vet. Maybe even letting someone like cliff or bennett go. Sacrifices have to be made, and they cant ignore the o line that is required to protect the franchise QB anymore. Its become the achilles heal of this team and a glaring weakness.

Kearse would not free up much money at all.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":ckpwpcqk said:
RussB":ckpwpcqk said:
semiahmoo":ckpwpcqk said:
RussB":ckpwpcqk said:

So who goes? Who stays?

Kearse would not free up much money at all.
Well then bennett or avril. Defense still would have enough talent even with the loss of either of those guys. I think they should seek a trade for a LT like joe thomas or andrew whitworth. Maybe even jason peters.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":57ga4bx0 said:
Sowell's suck is a little overstated around here. He's shown some very nice run blocking tendencies.

I'm not opposed to going FA or draft for a high-priced tackle since we have cash to burn this next year, and some fresh competition at tackle is pretty likely in some form. But at the same time, if Pete and John go for another area of need with their big money instead, like WR, pass-rushing DT, or CB2, I won't be upset. Fant has upside. Sowell is holding his own. Rees Odhiambo is intriguing. And regardless of the mantras people trot out, this has never been a team that relies heavily on the OL for its success. It never has been.

I've got a different take. The Seahawks haven't had to heavily rely on the OL for success because of Beastmode. Lynch was able to overcome many of the shortcomings of the OL in the past. Now, he's no longer here. They may have to re-evaluate their strategy with the OL. Rawls is good but he's not Beastmode. Never will be. So what worked in the past, may not be a good strategy for the present or near future. That is unless they find someone exactly like Lynch.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2w06hqlp said:
I've got a different take. The Seahawks haven't had to heavily rely on the OL for success because of Beastmode. Lynch was able to overcome many of the shortcomings of the OL in the past. Now, he's no longer here. They may have to re-evaluate their strategy with the OL. Rawls is good but he's not Beastmode. Never will be. So what worked in the past, may not be a good strategy for the present or near future. That is unless they find someone exactly like Lynch.

I think Pete knows this, there's just not another RB right now that can stay healthy to share and be productive with Rawls.

Prosise and Rawls is probably a great combo to share carries and get our run game rolling again, but neither can stay on the field.

What we learned this year is we REALLY took Lynch's durability for granted.

McGruff

Reaction score
RussB":1n9iid80 said:
semiahmoo":1n9iid80 said:
RussB":1n9iid80 said:

So who goes? Who stays?

Kearse frees up nothing in 2017.

McGruff

Reaction score
Here are you top player cuts in terms of recouping cap dollars in 2017 . . .

Graham - 10 mil savings
Bennett -7.5 mil
Kam - 7.1 mil
Earl - 6.6 mil
Wright - 4.8 mil
Avril - 4.5 mil
Sherman - 4.2 mil
ABD - 4 mil

After that it drops to million dollar savings players . . . pocket change.