Rank the Seahawks coaches from best to worst...

semiahmoo

Reaction score
#1 Pete Carroll:
Took us to the dance twice, brought home the hardware one of those times, and kept us competing for half a decade so far.

#2/3 Chuck Knox:
Made the Seahawks into a playoff team. 3rd highest overall win percentage and 1988 AFC West Division Champions. Classic "Ground Chuck" era.

#2/3 Mike Holmgren:
Solid win percentage, multiple playoff appearances, multiple division champions, and a Super Bowl appearance.

#4 Jack Patera:
The first coach for the then-newly formed team. A dry wit, who oversaw a rather motley collection of unknown and later emerging talent. The Hawks didn't win a whole lot, but they were entertaining, which helped to solidify the new Seattle franchise.

#5 Dennis Erickson:
A successful college coach who struggled to do the same in the NFL. High initial expectations and mediocre results led to just a three year stint.

#6/7 Jim Mora:
He talked a big coaching game, signed a lucrative multi-year contract, and was then abruptly canned after just one season in favor of the #1 on this list, Pete Carroll.

#6/7 Tom Flores:
A coaching legend with the Oakland Raiders, with two Super Bowl wins following the Madden era, Flores could never create that same success here in Seattle and had an abysmal .292 win percentage after three troubled seasons. A class act, but in Seattle, it was not to be.

**Mike McCormack: Coached the Hawks during the silly season that was the players strike. Didn't really consider him on this list given that fact. He did manage a winning 4-3 record, though. Later helped to establish the Carolina Panthers into the NFL.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Carroll - Obvious
Holmgren - Super Bowl
Knox - NFC Champioship, but wasted some talent by being too rigid to his system.
Patera - Made the team fun and exciting with little talent
Erickson - Got a raw deal by having a crappy QB and refs
Flores - He wasn't Mora
Mora - Was and still is a fool, IMHO

nash72

Reaction score
Holmgren - Did more with less
Carroll - Brought us the hardware, but lucky the defense and Wilson panned out.
Knox - Made us respectable
Erickson - Never had a decent QB when he was here
Patera - First coach.
Flores - He didn't even want to be here so I cant fault him for the piss poor team he had
Mora - imbecile

Seafan

Reaction score
Carroll - Super Bowl Champs
Knox - Turned team around instantly, instilled toughness and later thwarted by worst owner in NFL
Holmgren - NFC Championship and was thwarted by Paul Allen who promised him GM/Coach and messed it up
McCormack - Great interim coach who also hired Chuck Knox
Patera - Hard ass coach but brought team first winning season
Erickson - Got a raw deal by having a crappy GM, owner and little talent
Mora - He wasn't Flores
Flores - Worst coach in team history, most over rated in NFL history

Optimus25

Reaction score
nash72":3v7xdbwt said:
Patera - First coach.
Flores - He didn't even want to be here so I cant fault him for the piss poor team he had
Mora - imbecile

Come on man!

HOF lineman, virtual HOF guard next to him, hass, shawn. Holmy wasn't playing the bad news bears out there.

PC created his own luck because any other coach in the world would have by default started the high dollar FA QB just signed. And converting Richard to cb has all the makings of a pc thing, tho i don't know.

I just think not putting Pete Carroll at the top is straight whack.

Not to mention Pete cutting Williams last season was the right thing to do, something holmgren was obviously too stubborn to consider based on Kelly Jennings sticking around. Let alone trufant was here one year too long, which was painfully obvious to anyone except the staff of course.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I liked Knox and thought Flores was the biggest douche ever, completely destroyed the Hawks.

razor150

Reaction score
Seafan":20c37gfn said:

What? That team was loaded with talent. I suggest you go look at the roster he had. The only problem was QB, kind of, he had Warren Moon who did play well for us and helped as have a top 5 offense. We also had a really good ball hawking defense. How Erickson managed to constantly go 8-8 with that roster is truly astounding, he deserved to be fired 10 times over. Carroll would have steamrolled the AFC with that team, and Holmgren should have tried to hold it together a little better than tearing it apart like he did.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
razor150":97ko278b said:
Seafan":97ko278b said:

What? That team was loaded with talent. I suggest you go look at the roster he had. The only problem was QB, kind of, he had Warren Moon who did play well for us and helped as have a top 5 offense. We also had a really good ball hawking defense. How Erickson managed to constantly go 8-8 with that roster is truly astounding, he deserved to be fired 10 times over. Carroll would have steamrolled the AFC with that team, and Holmgren should have tried to hold it together a little better than tearing it apart like he did.

I'd agree with that. The Erickson era had a team w/solid talent.

Under-performed and they did give him 3 seasons to get it right.

He never did.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
nash72":5154pd7w said:
Patera - First coach.
Mora - imbecile

Holmgren #1 - interesting!

You make a potentially valid point - doing more with less.

razor150

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3m9mlo8o said:
nash72":3m9mlo8o said:
Patera - First coach.
Mora - imbecile

Holmgren #1 - interesting!

You make a potentially valid point - doing more with less.

Valid, but it was also the talent he drafted. So a wash. With a GM like Schnieder he probably would have done a lot better, instead of GMing himself.

nash72

Reaction score
Optimus25":s428qiug said:
nash72":s428qiug said:
Patera - First coach.
Mora - imbecile

Come on man!

HOF lineman, virtual HOF guard next to him, hass, shawn. Holmy wasn't playing the bad news bears out there.

PC created his own luck because any other coach in the world would have by default started the high dollar FA QB just signed. And converting Richard to cb has all the makings of a pc thing, tho i don't know.

I just think not putting Pete Carroll at the top is straight whack.

Not to mention Pete cutting Williams last season was the right thing to do, something holmgren was obviously too stubborn to consider based on Kelly Jennings sticking around. Let alone trufant was here one year too long, which was painfully obvious to anyone except the staff of course.

Holmgren had a fantastic left side of an offensive line and Alexander was awesome. I love Hass, but its not like he was some HOF QB or even as good as Wilson. Want to talk about some crummy receivers. It was so frustrating back then seeing Hass pitch one right into the hands of a receiver only to be dropped. The defense was never anything to right home about.

The thing I liked about Holmgren the most was that I never worried he would be outcoached. I cant say the same with Carroll and his lackeys. The GM chores was to much for him though. He should have never shouldered that responsibility along with coaching.

Seafan

Reaction score
razor150":30bl6ial said:
Seafan":30bl6ial said:

Very few active pro bowlers. High draft picks who never lived up to their over rated status. Constantly drafted high with few results. Joey Galloway was a talent but face it the dude hated to go over the middle. Moon was on his way out of the league. Mirer sucked big time. They over paid for free agents who never delivered. GM let McCrary and Mawae walk when all they wanted was market value and there was no cap. Behring and his son and Mueller sucked. Erickson wasn't a great coach but he was better than Flores, Mora and Patera.

Seafan

Reaction score
razor150":35k38jet said:
Seafan":35k38jet said:

Very few active pro bowlers. High draft picks who never lived up to their over rated status. Constantly drafted high with few results. Joey Galloway was a talent but face it the dude hated to go over the middle. Moon was on his way out of the league. Mirer sucked big time. They over paid for free agents who never delivered. GM let McCrary and Mawae walk when all they wanted was market value and there was no cap. Behring and his son and Mueller sucked. Erickson wasn't a great coach but he was better than Flores, Mora and Patera.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Ranking using my memory as a fan (29 years old), it'd be

1. Carroll
2. Holmgren

3. Erickson

4. Mora

Ozzy

Reaction score
Carroll rebuilt this franchise from zero in short order in the toughest era to do it in with the league doing everything they can for parity. He is far and away #1.

1. Carroll: See above
2. Holmgren: Underrated around the league, very good coach
3. Knox

Crapshoot after that although probably go Patera over the rest at #4.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'd also put Holmgren at 3. I never was a big fan of him. Let's not forget that he helped run this team into the ground, aka the 2008 season.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":31s7sctn said:
I think we were looking for Dirtbag Jim Mora.

I am unfamiliar with Jim Mora. I obviously no him as a Seahawks coach for a stint, son of Jim Mora I think, and UCLA coach. But that's all I know of him. Not challenging your assessment at all, but I am curious to hear why he is a dirt bag. I believe you, just was hoping you would give me a reason. I don't know why I'm curious, just am lol.

1. Carroll, but I respect why some would put holmgren here.

2. Chuck Knox. I have a high amount of respect for this guy. He made a historic(completely subjective) run to the afc championship game. Beat Marino and elway their rookie years, if I'm not mistaken. Won ap coach of the year, two years in a row. If Warner hadn't got injured, who knows where they could have gone.

3. Holmgren. First Superbowl appearance, and had some of my favorite Seahawks of all time on their team. Thought he was an asshole, but I didn't play for him.

4. Patera. Always remember your first, lol.

5. Erickson

6. Mora.

7. Flores