Take the win but that fake punt was horrible play calling

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Way too cute, way too dangerous on so many levels.

Is it Bevell or Schneider who makes that call? I assume Bevell? And if you're Pete, do you have a chance for final say and give a big "no" in that scenario? I would think so.

Ryan goes down, the Rams likely pissed because it feels like Hawks are trying to run up the score, it's calls like that that make Seattle seem so damn stupid sometimes.

Division Champs, a "W", (sloppy as it was) but man, we didn't need that particularly idiotic play calling.

And on a related note, seeing Bennett go down like he did was damn scary. His head snapped backwards in that possible neck/spine injury kind of way and he goes limp. So glad to see him get up and walk off under his own power. Guy is a warrior.

getnasty

Reaction score
Pete makes the call, the more I think about it the more I hate it.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2b9qh1yx said:
Way too cute, way too dangerous on so many levels.

Is it Bevell or Schneider who makes that call? I assume Bevell? And if you're Pete, do you have a chance for final say and give a big "no" in that scenario? I would think so.

Ryan goes down, the Rams likely pissed because it feels like Hawks are trying to run up the score, it's calls like that that make Seattle seem so damn stupid sometimes.

Division Champs, a "W", (sloppy as it was) but man, we didn't need that particularly idiotic play calling.

And on a related note, seeing Bennett go down like he did was damn scary. His head snapped backwards in that possible neck/spine injury kind of way. So glad to see him get up and walk off under his own power. Guy is a warrior.

All Ryan had to do was slide. His call, nobody else's at that point. Misplaced blame in your post.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
That was one of the easiest fake punts I've seen in any game. There was nothing but green in front of him, and an absolute gimme for the first down. It also helped put them away for good and limit them to only three points.

But for the hit to the back of Ryan's head, it would have been the perfect play.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
That play was revenge against John Fassel.

Remember he has been the Rams Special Teams coach who designed all those fakes against us the last few years.

I loved the call. There was absolutely no risk in it, except for the fact that Ryan lost grip on the ball and wasn't able to slide in that situation.

sutz

Reaction score
:laugh: Great call, great timing.

Ryan should have gone into the slide after about 25 yds. Just get the 1st and go down.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I loved the fake punt. It was exactly what the Rams had coming. Perfect.

Except for Ryan getting his bell rung...

rjdriver

Reaction score
I agree with the OP but respect the other opinions. What bothers me is why take that play off the shelf and expose it when you may need it in a crucial game during the playoffs? It was a complete waste and unnecessary risk. Fisher isn't there anymore, nothing to prove.

On the other hand, I'm giddy about the memes that are surely to come.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
You mean the play where the barn doors opened and Ryan just ran on through? That play? If not for Ryan's butter-hands, the play was awesome... Love it! Perfect time for it too, when they had trouble getting our boot off their throat. I give that play a 9 out of 10.... I'm just hoping he was making a stupid face while doing it so we can get some more awesome memes... :D

Steve2222

Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone could be upset at that. There was literally nobody, I say again nobody, in the middle of the field......

getnasty

Reaction score
Steve2222":33cinj2p said:
I don't understand how anyone could be upset at that. There was literally nobody, I say again nobody, in the middle of the field......

I just feel like it's rubbing it in a bit, had it been Jeff Fischer I would have loved it. No need to call that against a guy who's never coached a game in his life.

OpHawk

Reaction score
It was an excellent call. They saw something on the Rams punt return unit to take advantage of. You could have driven 3 pickup trucks sidebyside through that hole. How was it a bad call?

sutz

Reaction score
rjdriver":4bq2dpvn said:
I agree with the OP but respect the other opinions. What bothers me is why take that play off the shelf and expose it when you may need it in a crucial game during the playoffs? It was a complete waste and unnecessary risk. Fisher isn't there anymore, nothing to prove.

The flip side is that every team on our schedule will now have to think about and plan for it. ;)

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
rjdriver":2xk5ps3j said:

BINGO - was thinking the same thing? Why burn that play at that time? SAVE IT.

There is no payback to the Rams because the guy to pay back is no longer there. It makes no sense to introduce that element of risk. Yeah, Ryan could have slid out sooner, but that's the point. Guy sees open field, gets excited, and then BAM, down he goes.

It was a win, we'll sure as hell take it after the drubbing in GB, but that call was dumb. Makes no sense besides a shits -n- giggles moment, and our coaching staff should be way more seasoned/mature to be doing that sh*t.

I also don't like RW hanging in a game that is won for so long. Don't care if he says he wants to stay in - pull his out out.

chris98251

Reaction score
Killer instinct is what we have been lacking, had no problem with the play, they did it because the Rams were giving it to them, unfortunate that Ryan took a shot but that was partly due to his losing the ball and not looking around and seeing the hit coming.

cymatica

Reaction score
I'm just hoping he was making a stupid face while doing it so we can get some more awesome memes... :D

One of the first thoughts that crossed my mind

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
sutz":ku6cjqbb said:
rjdriver":ku6cjqbb said:

The flip side is that every team on our schedule will now have to think about and plan for it. ;)

YUP. There was no rubbing salt in a wound because the coach we wanted to do that to was not standing on the opposite sideline. A foolish call.

Would much rather have it used, sight unseen, against NE in the Super Bowl for a 20 yard gain and another first down on our way to marching down the field for a TD and a second title.

But maybe that's just me... :twisted:

Cartire

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1jlnho9x said:
rjdriver":1jlnho9x said:

BINGO - was thinking the same thing? Why burn that play at that time? SAVE IT.

There is no payback to the Rams because the guy to pay back is no longer there. It makes no sense to introduce that element of risk. Yeah, Ryan could have slid out sooner, but that's the point. Guy sees open field, gets excited, and then BAM, down he goes.

It was a win, we'll sure as hell take it after the drubbing in GB, but that call was dumb. Makes no sense besides a shits -n- giggles moment, and our coaching staff should be way more seasoned/mature to be doing that sh*t.

I also don't like RW hanging in a game that is won for so long. Don't care if he says he wants to stay in - pull his out out.

My eyes cant roll enough anymore.