Has the Seattle media ever called for the firing of Bevell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabowl

Reaction score
Living in NY the media here is relentless when dealing with sports figures that are not getting the job done. Has anyone seen someone from the Seattle media write an article or say on the air their real displeasure with Bevell and call for his departure? Again living in NY this would have been done years ago and I don't think there would be any way he or the team could weather the storm that the NY media and fans would put on the situation. Thank you.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. Bevell would have never survived the post super bowl in NY and if he did the media would have destroyed him after last year. They were gunning for Coughlin two years after he won his second SB. They ran Rex Ryan out of town after back to back championship conference games. This Sherman interview probably would end Bevell in NY unless they win the SB. I don't get the sense that the media out there is as critical, but I cannot imagine that Bevell is given a pass either. I really hope this Sherman interview blows up in the media all this week because it really needs to. Clearly there's a problem if Lynch and Baldwin and now Sherman are giving the finger to bevell, he simply needs to go.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
In my mind Darrell Bevell is to the Seahawks, what Bill Buckner is to the Red Sox. The reason you don't here the grumblings from the media has more to do with the laid back culture on the west coast as compared to the east coast.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Maybe the media just aren't like a bunch of cry babies on an internet chat forum?

McGruff

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3azw3a3w said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3azw3a3w said:
Maybe the media just aren't like a bunch of cry babies on an internet chat forum?

I have worked with the Seahawks organization before, and have many friends that cover them. It is pretty widely known that the Seahawks are pretty stingy with their access, and have been known to hold grudges with media guys. I know there are many reporters here in Seattle that won't touch the topic in fear of being shunned by the team, and having their access cut down. Seems a lot more likely than who is or isn't a crybaby.

This is true. The Seahawks PR team holds press passes with an iron fist and will revoke them from anyone who pushes criticism too far.

That said, the medit folks are also more objective than the average fan and 5 years with a top 10 offense and onsistent playoFF runs kind of gives Bevell a long leash. The press is more likely to look at long term results, not game by game or even play by play reactions.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No they haven't, because unlike some people in here they use logic, reason and they lean on the expertise of smart national media professionals, players and coaches to formulate an opinion about Bevell.

And the national opinion on Bevell, as it is locally is he's not perfect by any stretch. But that he's a good fit for this offense, works well with Russell and knows how to call plays within the confines of Pete's offensive philosophy.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Much wisdom in this post from the Mods.

The press may just hold too much power over the teams in the Big Apple. Seattle knows how to keep the balance between open information and the spread or creation of false narratives and knee-jerk reactions not based on the big picture.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
seabowl":2mtoqbzo said:
Living in NY the media here is relentless when dealing with sports figures that are not getting the job done. Has anyone seen someone from the Seattle media write an article or say on the air their real displeasure with Bevell and call for his departure? Again living in NY this would have been done years ago and I don't think there would be any way he or the team could weather the storm that the NY media and fans would put on the situation. Thank you.

How many franchises fan bases would give their first born child to "Not get the Job done" like Bevell and the Seahawks?

This is our 6th year in a row in the playoffs? What franchise can top that level of success? New England and ONLY New England. Not either New York team, Not National Brand teams like Pitt or SF or Chicago. Not big market teams like ATL or LA.

Look at how garbage the Packers have been this year, with the best qb in football.

Face it. For all his "warts" Darrell Bevel is a damn good coach. What you don't understand is the NFL is HARD. It's designed that for parity.

Imagine how good our offense would be with the Dallas offensive line.......But you know why we don't have the Dallas offensive line? Because we have paid, Sherman, Thomas, Kam, Wags, Bennett,. Avril, Wright and Russell.

Sure Bevell has Russell, but his offensive lines a joke show. His WR's are undrafted FA's.

Gain some perspective for me one time would ya.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I've heard and read critiques, but I haven't seen anyone out right call for his job. I think it's low grade to call for another man's employment - it's just a game and it isn't that serious. The level of decorum and respect amongst most Seattle media compared to that of the North East is something that I've grown to appreciate.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3gqqoctv said:
Much wisdom in this post from the Mods.

The press may just hold too much power over the teams in the Big Apple. Seattle knows how to keep the balance between open information and the spread or creation of false narratives and knee-jerk reactions not based on the big picture.

How many years before it's not considered knee jerk anymore. I figured 4 would be considered more as "consistent critism".

johnnyfever

Reaction score
gowazzu02":34m4vnw4 said:
seabowl":34m4vnw4 said:

How many franchises fan bases would give their first born child to "Not get the Job done" like Bevell and the Seahawks?

This is our 6th year in a row in the playoffs? What franchise can top that level of success? New England and ONLY New England. Not either New York team, Not National Brand teams like Pitt or SF or Chicago. Not big market teams like ATL or LA.

Look at how garbage the Packers have been this year, with the best qb in football.

Face it. For all his "warts" Darrell Bevel is a damn good coach. What you don't understand is the NFL is HARD. It's designed that for parity.

Imagine how good our offense would be with the Dallas offensive line.......But you know why we don't have the Dallas offensive line? Because we have paid, Sherman, Thomas, Kam, Wags, Bennett,. Avril, Wright and Russell.

Sure Bevell has Russell, but his offensive lines a joke show. His WR's are undrafted FA's.

Gain some perspective for me one time would ya.

Or how good we would be with the OC from new England. Both valid points. Our OC and our OL are the 2 biggest reasons for our offensive issues. Our lack of cap space limits our ability to buy a line, but there is no limits on us hiring the best coaches money can buy, and I don't see bevell as the best.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
kobebryant":3907w9bz said:
I've heard and read critiques, but I haven't seen anyone out right call for his job. I think it's low grade to call for another man's employment - it's just a game and it isn't that serious. The level of decorum and respect amongst most Seattle media compared to that of the North East is something that I've grown to appreciate.

So you're more content with pretending everything is ok rather than speaking out about what is wrong and fixing what many perceive to be the Hawks most consistent issue for probably the last 4-5 years? Starting with the Percy debacle, then "the call", and consistent mind boggling play calling has many on his board, the team (players) and I'm sure the media pretty perplexed.

So as I said, why not bring it out in the open via articles and on the air? It's worthy of at least that IMO.

Jville

Reaction score
seabowl":v6f14x22 said:
kobebryant":v6f14x22 said:

So you're more content with pretending everything is ok rather than speaking out about what is wrong and fixing what many perceive to be the Hawks most consistent issue for probably the last 4-5 years? Starting with the Percy debacle, then "the call", and consistent mind boggling play calling has many on his board, the team (players) and I'm sure the media pretty perplexed.

So as I said, why not bring it out in the open via articles and on the air? It's worthy of at least that IMO.

:141847_bnono: The man simply expressed an opinion and preference. His sentiment is certainly understandable. So what if it doesn't fit the narrative this thread was purposed for. It doesn't deserve an arrogant dismissal.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
seabowl":3b93ikr8 said:

Comparing the NY media to any other city's is like comparing apples and vegetables. Philly, Chicago, Boston, DC media might get as ornery at times but not as consistent or the quantity as NY. I have read articles at Field Gulls that acknowledges fans' frustrations with Bevell but that is about it.

Also if there was ever a time for Bevell to be rode out on a rail by the Seattle media it would have been after SBXLIX.

sdog1981

Reaction score
One thing that is different is the amount of media that is based in NY/Philly/Chicago. With so many voices in the market, people have to do outlandish things just to get noticed. Seattle is starting to get that way, 10 years ago this market had just one sports talk radio station, now it has 3. At some point, one of them will try to get an edge and be for the "real fans" trying to go more negative.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":35mqicmy said:
How many years before it's not considered knee jerk anymore. I figured 4 would be considered more as "consistent critism".

If "knee-jerk" is the wrong choice of terms, then overreaction is far more fitting. That can continue for many years because people see things in different ways.

Losses, according to many, are mainly Bev's fault and wins are not to his credit. "We win in spite of him" is too often used, but this seems like weak and myopic scapegoating. Once the opposition to Bevell gathered a following of rioters with pitchforks, it now continues because of its own weight, not from actual analysis. Those who try are accused of being "supporters" because explaining nuance is like talking to a wall, or to adolescents who see can only see in black/white. Rarely is the subject brought up without eye-rolling, name-calling, accusations of ignorance, or blind faith (from both sides, and I'm equally as guilty, I admit).

Is there a way to talk about the actual facts, not the interpretation of them? That's the hard part, since nobody has all the facts. We discuss all we want, but we simply do not, and never will, have enough information to make the final call of whether he should be fired. Bevell's presence here is at the behest of the man most desirous of winning it all, and even wrote a book on his philosophy. When I get on an airplane, I do so hoping the one person who most wants to survive the flight is the pilot. In this case, PC gets final say over how he wants to win--and he does!--and we have to trust that he is hiring those who most fit his plan. So far, it seems to be working. This isn't a defense of perfection, but rather a desire to see more facts, not just narratives.

Local and National media care little for actual facts; they wants stories that sell or to perpetuate the views of its writers so as to influence their readers. This board has journalists, too. It's just a good thing the Seattle area media is not populated by .net members!

If Bevell were fired, I wouldn't lose sleep and say it was a mistake; but neither can I say he doesn't contribute to our wins. We're where we are with him as part of the team.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2d70ip66 said:
johnnyfever":2d70ip66 said:

If "knee-jerk" is the wrong choice of terms, then overreaction is far more fitting. That can continue for many years because people see things in different ways.

If Bevell were fired, I wouldn't lose sleep and say it was a mistake; but neither can I say he doesn't contribute to our wins. We're where we are with him as part of the team.

Yeah at this point for me Bevell and Cable are the wonder twins. who together take the form of a dysfunctional offense.

Jville

Reaction score
sdog1981":941qqant said:
Ad Hawk":941qqant said:
johnnyfever":941qqant said:

Yeah at this point for me Bevell and Cable are the wonder twins. who together take the form of a dysfunctional offense.

It's more likely an incomplete understanding of the offense is getting in the way.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Jville":pn9mp3b2 said:
It's more likely an incomplete understanding of the offense is getting in the way.

I wonder how much Cable is assistant head coach and line coach with Bevell as the OC. It is a strange power dynamic how much more say does Cable have over Bevell. Is Bevell in this offensive meetings every day asking Cable hard questions like "This team has burned through 50 offensive linemen in 5 years and you can't find me 5 average ones?" Or is Bevell just like "whatever you want Tom, when Pete is not around you are the head coach". I can't think of another team where a position coach has a higher title then one of the 3 coordinators (SP,OC,DC).

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Concise and accurate post AdHawk.
Pete has been with Bev for 6 years now. That's over 100 games. Practices, team meetings, road trips. Do people really believe he doesn't know the talents he brings to the team and his desire to succeed? If he didn't meet Pete's standards, he'd be gone. On top of that, he has been tasked to incorporate Pete's vision of a low-risk, ball-control offense into a style of play that capitalizes on the freelancing and passionate play of Russ. He has done that with a multitude of success.

Bottom line is that Bev and Pete are a team, and for good reason. Same could be said for Kris Richard, Cable, Seto and the entire coaching staff. They work really well together and likely will be for the next 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.