Assessment of the offense

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
1. For me, scoring 24 points against a team that has smacked us sideways the last few seasons was a huge positive. I give the maligned O line some credit, yes there was pressure -- but it was much better than it has been vs LA.

P.S. Aaron Donald is a MAN BEAST. I would kill to have a player like that on our D line. Just a force.

2. I am still kind of confused on why Graham disappears for huge parts of games. He has two catches in the last two games. I understand teams are paying him a lot of attention, but he is still a bona fide threat. He didn't get a lot of snaps last night (37), likely because of the short week and trying to protect his knee. He is such a threat, just want to see him more consistent in the game plan.

3. Russell's ability to break from the pocket and run is a HUGE factor for us going forward. Teams were lucky to not have to worry about him running when he was hurt, they now need to pay attention. I would like to see more read option.

4. I don't know what is up with Kearse this season. I'm not in the "Kearse hating" crowd, but I do think we need an upgrade. If you would have told me he would go the entire season and not get a single TD catch, I would have said you are crazy. Maybe he will finally snag one in the last few games and that will help his confidence? I don't know, he seems kind of uninspired to me...

I was hoping Richardson would step up this season, but he is a non-factor. But, I am glad they carved out a roster spot for McEvoy.

WR is an area we need to target in the draft, for sure.

5. I am excited to get Prosise back., hopefully for our first playoff game. He was really turning into a threat. We could really use his presence, especially on 3rd downs as an escape valve. Any updates on his shoulder, by the way?

6. Reece was a really good signing. He adds a dimension out of the backfield that Tukuafu didn't. He should have had an easy TD catch last night but Russell missed the throw. He has good hands and he knows how to get open, and that is a great thing to have for Wilson as a secondary or tertiary read. Kind of like having Mike Rob again, he was a big factor for our offense in 2012-2013.

7. Nice seeing Willson healthy and making plays. I'd still love to see more Vannett, but there is only so many snaps. Having a second TE threat will be huge when teams obsess on Graham. Great job by Willson keeping his balance on his TD.

8. Play calling: Nice to see another gadget play, it was under thrown and Doug fell down... Teams now need to pay attention to McEvoy as a dual threat.

Where are the screen passes and crossing routes?? I don't know if they don't run crossers due to Wilson's pocket visibility or what, but it seems like every pass is on the boundaries or flats and a few seams. I would think Lockett with his speed and Baldwin with his shiftiness would get open easily on drags. They may not be big gainers, but it's 5+ yards at a clip. When the running game is struggling, those are the kinds of plays I would like to see to help move the chains. It doesn't always need to be feast or famine.

9. Lockett is the threat we have been missing this season. He is a legitimate dual threat. Nice to see him have a breakout game and snag a long TD catch.

10. Baldwin DESTROYED Hill off the line on his TD. Holy crap he juked his jock strap off... lol. That was an audible I believe, similar to his game winner vs Miami. Originally, Kearse was in the left slot and when Russell saw the coverage he motioned Kearse to the right side and Doug lifted up his left hand, which I think was an acknowledgment to Russell that he knew it was coming his way. They have such great chemistry.

Anyways, just thought I would share observations after re-watching the game closely this morning. I am interested to see your comments.

Largent80

Reaction score
Brockers is also a huge handful on that Rams D line. We couldn't run up the gut at all and that's what surprises me about Sherman's reaction.

I'm at the point after supporting Kearse that McEvoy needs to take his reps. I'm quite positive at this point that he can out produce him.

Not surprised we couldn't run, that line raises it's level of nasty when we play them.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Good post Greg.

The coaches always preach about converting third-down plays and we were able to do that with regularity last night. Lockett was particularly adept at being on the finishing end of keeping the chains moving.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Largent80":3ecf40vd said:
Brockers is also a huge handful on that Rams D line. We couldn't run up the gut at all and that's what surprises me about Sherman's reaction.

I'm at the point after supporting Kearse that McEvoy needs to take his reps. I'm quite positive at this point that he can out produce him.

Not surprised we couldn't run, that line raises it's level of nasty when we play them.

William Hayes is good, too...fast! And Ogletree.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":25w3utnq said:
Good post Greg.

The coaches always preach about converting third-down plays and we were able to do that with regularity last night. Lockett was particularly adept at being on the finishing end of keeping the chains moving.

Great point. The 3rd down conversions are crucial.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Via: "FlyingGreg"

3. Russell's ability to break from the pocket and run is a HUGE factor for us going forward. Teams were lucky to not have to worry about him running when he was hurt, they now need to pay attention. I would like to see more read option.
---------------

Think you're on to a real key as to whether or not the Hawks extend well into the playoffs. Also fits into your desire to see more of Jimmy in the mix - which I totally agree with.

With a healthy RW run threat, a decent O-Line (all we are asking for is decent at this point) and 60-80 yds rushing from Rawls and as you said, MORE READ OPTIONS, the Hawks can spread defenses, utilize the long ball threat with Lockett, mid-route threat with Baldwin, Jimmy gets more and more one-on-one mismatches and bailout opportunities.

Suddenly our offense becomes much more formidable and come playoff time, I am confident our D will be in kick butt mode.

A deep playoff run is possible with a few critical tweaks.

sutz

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2r8ya7bt said:
Siouxhawk":2r8ya7bt said:
Good post Greg.

Great point. The 3rd down conversions are crucial.
3rd down conversions are often determined on 1st and 2d down. People whine about "not running the ball enough" but then complain when we can't convert a 3rd and 9.

:229031_shrug:

It's nice when we convert a 3rd and long, but much like the score (where you're better off playing from ahead rather than behind) you want to avoid them if you can. The team talks about it all the time when they comment about "staying ahead of the sticks." If you can't run the ball against a team like the Lambs, you have to figure out ways to consistently get 3-5 yds on 1st down so you're not feeding into their pass rush on long yardage situations. That's also how you maximize your play action capability. Play action works best on 2nd and 2, not on 3rd and 20. ;)

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We converted 5 plays into first downs or a TD when it was 3rd and 6 or more. That certainly helped. As you said, we have to make them more manageable. Those 5 false starts certainly didn't help the cause.

getnasty

Reaction score
Yeah I was fine with the offense last night considering it was the Rams. Obviously we need to be able to run the ball but that's a tough match up for us. I think the read option is gonna become our identity down the stretch. Maybe not against the Rams and Arizona due to the speed of there linebackers and familiarity but into the playoffs I see it coming up big. I like seeing Lockette getting more snaps he adds a deep threat that Kearse just doesn't bring. The more were able to run the ball and suck the backers up the bigger role Jimmy Graham is gonna play. The last 2 weeks we just haven't been able to get the run game going, I'd expect it to be tough sledding against Arizona too.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Agree with all of this. Excellent post.

I would offer, if we're struggling on the Right side of the line, could we go to six O Linemen? Bring Odi in on the right side. Oakland does this all game.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Totally great post Greg. several interesting questions and observations therein.

2. I am still kind of confused on why Graham disappears for huge parts of games. He has two catches in the last two games. I understand teams are paying him a lot of attention, but he is still a bona fide threat. He didn't get a lot of snaps last night (37), likely because of the short week and trying to protect his knee. He is such a threat, just want to see him more consistent in the game plan.

I think the answer to this question can be found in the twisted mind of our estimable OC. Maybe he only wants to use Graham a certain way but it is confusing to see him a ill used as he seems to be, I really don't think it's on Graham.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
KInd of agree about Wilson, but Wilson looks like he's just survived an artillery barrage. (my apologies to anyone who has been in one, I can't imagine what it would be like and shudder to think if I had to be.)

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
I hope Rawls will be okay, he put his head down and ran hard into some serious hell. Over and over!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1tnw5g5r said:
I hope Rawls will be okay, he put his head down and ran hard into some serious hell. Over and over!

Yeah.. Guy takes the handoff and is slammed. OL run blocking was just awful.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2v0y2aag said:
Totally great post Greg. several interesting questions and observations therein.

I think the answer to this question can be found in the twisted mind of our estimable OC. Maybe he only wants to use Graham a certain way but it is confusing to see him a ill used as he seems to be, I really don't think it's on Graham.
Jimmy was the one being targeted on the controversial near-interception at the 1. He had the 1-on-1 we were looking for. Great play by the linebacker. Jimmy also put a heck of a lick on a guy that sprang Rawls for one of the nice gains in our running game.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1ltmh14f said:
jammerhawk":1ltmh14f said:

Jimmy was the one being targeted on the controversial near-interception at the 1. He had the 1-on-1 we were looking for. Great play by the linebacker. Jimmy also put a heck of a lick on a guy that sprang Rawls for one of the nice gains in our running game.
Watching the replays, am a little disappointed that Graham despite getting both hands on the ball didn't haul it in - and very disappointed he lost the fight for that ball to the LB. Was dang near an INT.

Jville

Reaction score
Nice post Greg.

With regards to #4, running the snap numbers tells a story ......

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/809832260908130304[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/809832429070393344[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/809832504559419392[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/809832661799706625[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/809832750089785344[/tweet]

So ..... when they chose to go more often with bigger and more physical tight ends and backs on the field, it would figure that the more physical blocking receiver would give way and see less snaps in order to keep the two most dynamic receivers on the field. It is likely a shift personnel usage. After all, they do have 4 tight ends and a well rounded full back at their disposal. I think this years offense remains in transition.

Thanks for your time and effort Greg :2thumbs:

Go Hawks!

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I find #8 very interesting. When I watch other teams playing careful offense against us they use ever part of the field. Our conservative offense seems to never even do a simple 5 yard down and in. You mentioned the drag route, only time I have seen Seattle use this is with Graham and it is only thrown to him after he has gone clear across to the other side of the field.

RW height and vision is an intriguing thought on why there is rarely a crossing pattern but then why isn't it an option when Wilson steps through the front of the pocket. Only thing I can think of is teams are playing medium zones on us a majority of the game. Hence the interception at Green Bay when Russell tried to pass to Graham over the middle.